fridge not working on gas (1 Viewer)

Jun 4, 2012
Holbeach st Johns (Spalding)
Funster No
MH
C class Kon-Tiki 645
Exp
9 years. 30 years as a tugger
can anybody help my fridge is not working on gas the flame is alight so the gas is getting through. It is working on 12 volt car/ caravan & 240 volts thanks Ray

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Ray if it's working on both leccy and 12 volt then the only thing I can think off is either replace the gas jet or possibly clean the gas jet- more than likely you will get away with a good clean :winky:
terry

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I'm sorry I can't answer your problem .... you haven't said which fridge you have but in my experience if it is a Thetford, it would be worth a call to their customer support who I have found to be very helpful.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I had the same problem when at Mavern show last year, guy came and looked it was just crap in the burners. What I had not realised was that most dealers do not service the gas jets on a hab service.

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Make sure the thermo couple is in the pilot gas flame, it could have moved or its a dud

Peter

I would have thought the thermocouple is not the problem because the flame is there. If flame fails then thermocouple shuts off gas.

Rob

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Just a thought

I'm remembering that on gas absorption fridges that if they failed to cool they just needed to be tipped upside down to make refrigerant drain away from small capillary tube, it can get blocked. It's worth a try - just the aggravation of having to disconnect and take out fridge.

Rob

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I'm remembering that on gas absorption fridges that if they failed to cool they just needed to be tipped upside down to make refrigerant drain away from small capillary tube, it can get blocked. It's worth a try - just the aggravation of having to disconnect and take out fridge.

Rob

Hi Rob both bits of info are good but not in this case because it works on both leccy and 12 v meaning the problem is on the gas side and as you say thermocouple shuts it down so no problem there:winky: only thing left is jet needs cleaning or replacement :thumb:
Terry

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Or this perhaps?

I copied this from another site.

'Many thanks to all of you for your advice. I'm happy to report, I now have a fully functioning fridge. How did this come about? You don't want to know!

What do you mean, You do want to know?

OK. Let me hang my head in shame and embarrassment!

Being a motorhome fridge, it's of the absorption type. These are not very tilt tolerant. My drive is on an incline. You can see where I'm coming from! It would appear the degree of slope on my drive is sufficient to prevent the fridge working on gas, but not sufficient to prevent it working on mains electricity.

Rob

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
absorbsion fridges are very simple in design really. obviously ignoring the modern AES automatic energy source selection ones have a level of technology, but they still work the same

a heat source, whether electric element or gas flame heats up a transfer pipe and this energises the coolant to circulate. the difference being that the electric elements, 12v and 240v are both clipped to the heat exchanger and the gas flame is below it, assuming heat rises. therefore either a weak flame or if the fridge is not level or burner is bent then the heat does not get to the exchanger.

first try levelling off the van so fridge sits level and test again. otherwise you need to strip out the gas jet and clean it thoroughly before reassembly. if used frequently on gas take this opportunity to sweep the flue, as soot buildup degrades the efficiency of the fridge

if you do strip down the gas jet or even disconnect the gas supply ensure you turn the gas off at the bottle first and on reassembly check for any leaks using soap and water.

Feb 1, 2011
Redcar
Funster No
MH
Hymer C. Class
Exp
26 yrs
Hi Ray,
Had the same prob. last year, really difficult to solve. Found out when the Gas valve fails it goes to Min. closed position, although the flame was still visible it was not strong enough to cool. The dealer had the fridge out 3 times before he solved the prob. I was told later that when this happens its usual to replace the valve and the Thermo-couple, just doing one is tempting fate. Also it is not dealer practise to clean the flue when doing a service, this was confirmed by two other dealers. I have found quite often its a lot cheaper and more effecient to contact a Mobile engineer, so you can watch the work being done.
Good Luck Mac

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back