Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Does anyone have any views on motorhome mileages?

We have been looking at changing the van for an older model (2008), because we would like a change of layout. The one we're interested in has done 27,000 miles and I wondered if this was a bit high, given that some older than this have done a lot less mileage.

Our Autoquest is two and a half years old now and has done around 8,000 miles.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks Bill

D

DM14742

Deleted User
27K is nothing, add a nought on & it might still be running fine if regularly serviced.
The one you are interested in sounds like its done a healthy annual mileage of just over 5k so as long as its been serviced it'll be like new.
I'd check the rest of the Van (especially the Hab area including appliances) to make sure all is well there & bodywork for prangs etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Generalising, a motorhome being built on a commercial vehicle chassis is considerably more robust mechanically than a car and capable of very high mileages. Suggest value is more to do with quality of the conversion, condition and maintenance record than mileage.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont forget that your 5 year old motorhome is mechanically the same as a comercial van like white van man drives. there would be nothing strange for white van man to do 27000 miles a year, and its designed to cope with that.

at 27000 miles the engine is just run in and will give many more years of faithful service.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I would always prefer buying a vehicle with higher mileage (as long as it's been serviced regularly) given that an engine will suffer internally with underuse far more than with overuse. A vehicle that has done motorway mileage will always be a better bet than a similar one that has just done local infrequent shopping trips.

I also know that there will be many who disagree.........

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
White van man can easily clock up 100,000 miles per year, sometimes even more! The base chassis of our motorhomes is exactly the same as white van man,s vehicles so good for lots of miles. In my experience motorhomes suffer more problems because they don't do much mileage, brakes go rusty, spiders and mice find ther way in etc etc etc. Judge a propsective motorhome on condition not mileage.

D.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
You might as well consult mystic Meg as to how reliable one van is compared to another
Mile age is only one factor
Is it a Monday morning build or a Friday afternoon build?
Did any privous owner ride the clutch when driving?
Was it driven hard? ( fast exeloration and heavy braking)
Service history and just how thorough has the maintenance been?
Plus many other factors that can make the difference between a reliable cost affective motor. And a lemon

As the saying goes you pay your money and takes your risks
Buying second hand. I allways try to pay under the estimate value to allow for some replacement parts like brakes ,exhaust, tyres, door / locker catches

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
I hope mileage doesn't matter, 7500 in 10 months and we will probably add another 3-4000 before its a year old in September!

Hab service is already booked for August, base service is bi annual the but oil and filter will be changed every 12 months.

The vehicle is still like new and any little issues have been sorted as they have come to light. Because the vehicle is being used and looked after I believe it would be a better bet than one which is left idle for long periods and has never had enough use to really test all its systems.

I personally would be wary of low mileage vehicles because they do suffer from lack of use and, there may be a hidden reason for the low mileage, the vehicle may have been out of use because of mechanical failure or accident damage or it may have been simply unreliable, look how many low mileage TVR's there are!:ROFLMAO:

Inspect each vehicle carefully and form your own opinion, never trust the seller and don't take the word of a dealer, they make up the most amazing stories, my current favourite for a very low mileage (less than 500 miles in 12 months) motor home was " The customer bought it as a surprise retirement present for her husband, he didn't want a motor home, they had an argument so she brought it back to us"

Parcverger

Funster - Campsite Owner
Aug 13, 2007
Parc Verger - Limousin
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
8 years
Do have a close look at the tyres - not the tread, but sidewalls, as five years is close to the limit for tyres that have seen sitting unused for lengthy periods, which motorhomes often are. We had a blowout (fortunatley with no after effects) as I did not know this at the time, and failed to monitor the condition of our tyres. It is galling to replace tyres when they still have plenty of tread, but safety comes first.
Bob
www.parcverger.com

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
It amazes me that folks think 30k a high mileage, I remember the manager of Broad Lanes caravans telling me he prefered selling a caravan that had been well used as the fitted equipment gave him less warranty issues when it had been used on a regular basis and as has been said a vehicle that has been serviced regular should been fine, on ebay van sellers call a 100k van low mileage.
My Iveco MH had been owned by a classic car racer and had been primarily used to tow Lola racing cars on a trailer in mainland Europe, 21k in 18 months mainly motorways, it had been serviced properly and I would prefer to buy that than one that had done 10k in 5 years and of course the price reflects the british obsession with ultra mileage ones.

I have at least a short service every 12 months which is at least an oil and filter change irrespective of mileage

Last edited:
D

DM14742

Deleted User
Do have a close look at the tyres - not the tread, but sidewalls, as five years is close to the limit for tyres that have seen sitting unused for lengthy periods, which motorhomes often are. We had a blowout (fortunatley with no after effects) as I did not know this at the time, and failed to monitor the condition of our tyres. It is galling to replace tyres when they still have plenty of tread, but safety comes first.
Bob
www.parcverger.com
Same goes for the timing belt, its about ready for a new one if not already done

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Does anyone have any views on motorhome mileages?

We have been looking at changing the van for an older model (2008), because we would like a change of layout. The one we're interested in has done 27,000 miles and I wondered if this was a bit high, given that some older than this have done a lot less mileage.

Our Autoquest is two and a half years old now and has done around 8,000 miles.

Any advice is much appreciated, thanks Bill

Bill to answer your question NO....me personally NO it does not matter...in fact I have done more that in my new motorhome just 2 years old.... as we did in our previous van....It means it has been used as it should be.....not just parked up on a drive or in a lock up.....if I saw vans 8 years old and older with little or no milage I would think twice....it does not do the chassis cab engine, suspension,....any good.....my belief is a diesel need's to used and worked

Mel

Last edited:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
I really agree with the tyre issue/problems of low use.

When I bought our van she had covered less than 1000 miles in the last 6 years. One of the selling points the previous owner 'tried' to point out was that she had new tyres fitted less than 1000 miles ago - true (he had every receipt) the tread was as new, however on my further inspection the cracks and perishing on the inside walls was horrific - as advised on the MOT the year previous. A good bargaining chip also.
That made me think about every other rubber(ish) component, bushes, hoses and more so brake hoses - changed everything in the time before I used her in anger, but I have to say that some people may well have taken the mileage and thought 'she must be like new'....... I shudder.

Brake fluids, oils, grease, rubber, cam/pump belts, brake pads, tyres and batteries all deteriorate, but can suffer a lot harder by just being parked up than being used regularly.

A good high miler has the 'medals' for showing reliability too - says he with an old and low mileage MH. Well, she is now thumping on the miles and is also well maintained.::bigsmile:

Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Mileage query

Low mileage and under used motorhomes spell trouble. Overheard one guy saying that his motorhome was always parked in a barn when not in use, then he says that his waste pipe is blocked up on a rally and wandering if some mice had made a nest in the pipes, they had. Motorhomes are best used regularly, not left parked on long grass and always aired. Another guy had had to have a brand new engine fitted whilst in Spain because his radiator was furred up and had caused number 5 cylinder in his Merc to collapse, he said because of lack of use. The bill was eye watering. A used motorhome is a healthy motorhome.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
like what was said they are for using in just over a year we have clocked up over 20k and i think my van is still just gettin run in so long as its looked after like everything else it will b ok

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
A big thank you to everyone who replied to our question, this has now put my mind at rest after reading all your thoughts and views.
It's good to get the various feedback and experience on here:thumb:
Will let you know what we end up going for after we've made our decision.

Many thanks again, Bill

Collyer911

Free Member
May 30, 2013
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
milage

hi there

i was talking to my veg delivery man about vans,
he has a 2001 ford transit thats done 300k!!!

he reckons as mentioned before regular servicing and oil changes and most vans go on for ever.

as for 27k on the one your looking at my old vw had done 195k i changed the cam belt as soon as i got it and put in for a thorough service and oil change and quite happily drove it around the country for a couple of years
hope this helps

andy::bigsmile:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
At over 600.000kms our old MB608 went on a 29.000km to India & N.Africa ... :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back