Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
The term RV is usually reserved for an American RV, a yank tank.
A class is where a complete body (including the cab area is built).
B class retains the original cab as supplied with the chassis and otherwise coachbuilt
C class is a panel van conversion.
They are by definition all recreational vehicles, it just helps people get a picture of the right size and body type type.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
A B-class is a low profile with original cab, a C-class is a coachbuilt with original cab and overcab bed.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In the US where the term Recreational Vehicle (RV) is used it refers to all recreational Vehicles including caravans and when booking on sites in the US they normally ask if your RV is a motorhome or trailer.
Over here we generally use the term RV for A, B, and C class American motorhomes .

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
wats the difference from an RV-or-A-MOTORHOME both recreational vehicles?

Well! As you asked:-

A proper toilet with a 50 - 60 gallon holding tank, a generator, hydraulic levelling jacks, ducted roof mounted A/C that works, a 60 gallon fresh water tank, air suspension, a decent sized deep freeze, an ice maker, glass double glazing, metal framed chassis and metal doors with security locks that lock into a metal frame not polystyrene, cruise control, dash A/C, domestic plumbing, massively powerful engine and automatic gearbox, proper furniture not 90 degree plywood base with upholstered foam, heated lockers, heated black and grey tanks, headroom, payload, run on LPG 69p a litre, double stainless steel sinks with Corian worktops, surround sound large TV/entertainment systems, outside showers, tow bars, large lockers, proper beds, City water hook up, massive lockers, space to swing a cat (well to GS dogs actually) sensible towing capacity.....

I could go on but it would get boring. Ahem, just before anyone jumps down my throat, think about how many of these things you have in your house:Eeek: Double glazed plastic windows? Really? Main doors that will "pop" open with little pressure? 3 gallon toilets? furniture made out of plywood, with the base 90 degrees to the back?

These are a few reasons that I personally prefer a RV to a motorhome:winky:

But then again describe what we do t a Martian! We leave perfectly good homes, to go to a field (often muddy) and burn bits of dead animal over a fire in the open air, whilst intoxicated with liquid drugs (we call Alcohol) and sit in the cold with other nutters!

Were all in it together!

Eddie

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

A proper toilet with a 50 - 60 gallon holding tank, a generator, hydraulic levelling jacks, ducted roof mounted A/C that works, a 60 gallon fresh water tank, air suspension, a decent sized deep freeze, an ice maker, glass double glazing, metal framed chassis and metal doors with security locks that lock into a metal frame not polystyrene, cruise control, dash A/C, domestic plumbing, massively powerful engine and automatic gearbox, proper furniture not 90 degree plywood base with upholstered foam, heated lockers, heated black and grey tanks, headroom, payload, run on LPG 69p a litre, double stainless steel sinks with Corian worktops, surround sound large TV/entertainment systems, outside showers, tow bars, large lockers, proper beds, City water hook up, massive lockers, space to swing a cat (well to GS dogs actually) sensible towing capacity.....

I could go on but it would get boring. Ahem, just before anyone jumps down my throat, think about how many of these things you have in your house:Eeek: Double glazed plastic windows? Really? Main doors that will "pop" open with little pressure? 3 gallon toilets? furniture made out of plywood, with the base 90 degrees to the back?

But then again describe what we do t a Martian! We leave perfectly good homes, to go to a field (often muddy) and burn bits of dead animal over a fire in the open air, whilst intoxicated with liquid drugs (we call Alcohol) and sit in the cold with other nutters!

Were all in it together!

Eddie

My RV has no hydraulic jacks. The generator is an empty locker with a chimney. The roof mounted A/C probably ran out of gas in 1987. The air suspension punctured and was replaced with bigger springs. The big fridge burnt out and was replaced by a tiny European model. It never had cruise or dash A/C. No Corian. No outside shower.

I suppose I shouldn't have bought a 1978 model. It does have the rest of the stuff, though, and a bath, which I've never seen on a Eurobox. I love the plumbing. You can go a week if you're careful.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I had an "A" class many years ago....

Then I converted it to a lowline "B" class... :thumb:

Well a low bridge did in actual fact... :RollEyes::winky::ROFLMAO:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
[HI]We leave perfectly good homes, to go to a field (often muddy) and burn bits of dead animal over a fire in the open air, whilst intoxicated with liquid drugs (we call Alcohol) and sit in the cold with other nutters!

Were all in it together![/HI]
Eddie

I see you have met Sundance then?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Were all in it together!

Eddie

Spot on :thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My Wagon is NOT a recreational vehicle.

It is my home.

It has a motor.

And as I like to be able visit as many places as possible in Europe and do not own a oil company, I find my sized vehicle perfect.

Of course if I mostly preferred to stay put whilst plugged into a campsite big enough to be able to cope and feel "superior" to other folk in smaller vans who must be jealous of my feature packed, garish display of energy wasting, over sized excess then I might, just might, get an American "RV".

If you don't understand I can't explain... it is a European thing. :winky:

JJ :Cool:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
My Wagon is NOT a recreational vehicle.

It is my home.

It has a motor.

And as I like to be able visit as many places as possible in Europe and do not own a oil company, I find my sized vehicle perfect.

Of course if I mostly preferred to stay put whilst plugged into a campsite big enough to be able to cope and feel "superior" to other folk in smaller vans who must be jealous of my feature packed, garish display of energy wasting, over sized excess then I might, just might, get an American "RV".

If you don't understand I can't explain... it is a European thing. :winky:

Plugged in? 3 x 130 watt solar panels and nearly 1000 ah of battery capacity
With a big inverter who needs hook up?

In fact RVs are great for wild camping as they have such capacity. As for feeling superior that's people feeling inferior:winky:

Very few campsites can't accommodate larger Motorhomes. As a campsite owner, it's the crap drivers that struggle, not the size of their outfit

All do the same job though:thumb:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Whoops

Has my humour misfired again and been taken personally when no such targeting was intended?

PS. I have travelled many a mile with one of the largest RVs on Fun and so have an idea of where one can and cannot off site park.

Anyone claiming an RV is as good or better for off site living than my Iveco doesn't want to stay at the same places I do. :thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
If we were all the same it would be a boring world, besides where would the fungii and insect life live.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back