Do you know how much you weigh? (1 Viewer)

Jandek

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Rugby
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Rhythmn
Exp
Interested to know how many of you have been on a weigh bridge. We have recently changed our motor home to a Autotrail Apache. After a weekend away we wondered how much spare weight we had when planning a month touring France and Spain. So off to the weighbridge I went. Bit of a shock to say the least! With what we had on board we only had 45 kg left spare and that was without the wife or bikes. We are now in the process of upgrading our payload and also removing the swivel seats which weigh 28kg between them.
(Will never use them as have U shaped lounge and if you swivelled round you would be looking at the bathroom /wardrobe walls)
I am so glad I got her weighed as want to be safe and legal. Just wondered how many funsters have weighed in or do you just guess?
I know some of you will say they would leave the wife and one bike behind but she is quite useful at times and I think she deserves a holiday anyway!:Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Well overweight I tipped the scales this morning at 18 stone, time for a diet and more exercise.
As to the van My MOT is done at an HGV station so all axle weights are displayed with a ton and a quarter payload I have 400kgs left when fully loaded.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
I have 400 kilos spare based on the weighbridge ticket in the 'new' van, should be enough if Kath doesn't take too many shoes. I weighed in at 78.5 kilos last night. ::bigsmile:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
Likewise I had the weights recorded on the MOT, deliberately took it with 'unnecessary' things loaded and was very pleased to find we have 390 kilos to spare:thumb: Have to add on for the two of us plus the dog but provided we don't carry too much grog:RollEyes: we should be OK. It has made me unload those 'I'll take that just in case even though it hasn't seen the light of day in 4 years' things out though

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Pftttttt we have a Rapido 791ff and can just put 40 Kg in our huge garage/ chocolate teapot before our rear axle is up to its 2000Kg.

Moral do not buy a van until you put it over a weighbridge

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
From sunny Interlaken.

Put our new van straight on the weighbridge on the way home from the dealer and pleasantly surprised to find not only was it pretty evenly spread between the axles (unlike the Starspirit we had before) but I had 440 Kgs to spare.

Weighed most of what went on before heading for Dover and in theory are still 100kg below the 3500kg. I'll weigh it again on our return to be sure but so far a happy bunny. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Weight

Last Kontiki, all loaded and ready, full of food, us, water in the tanks, full fuel etc was 4810 kg, against a 5000 kg max.

We have not weighed the new comer yet, but expect similar.

Russell

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Good for you Jandek,

This was our story from a previous post:

The question was: "How much can we legally get in the new motorhome?"
Some months ago we became proud owners of a brand new Autotrail Tribute 725G, 6 berth coachbuilt on a long wheelbase Ford Transit.
The Maximum Gross Weight is 3500kg and the Mass in Running Order is stated as 2860kg.
This ought to give a relatively healthy payload of 640kg, but is it true?
The van did not come with a spare wheel as standard so I picked one up earlier this week, plus a jack and brace, that's 40kg just eaten up.
The only modifications I've made since delivery are the fitting of two additional 85Ahr leisure batteries and a 1200W inverter, didn't weigh those but I'm guessing that's another 30kg or so.
The "G" of 725G stands for "garage" and the thing's enormous. It's just what I wanted though so as to carry all my surf gear, bicycle and all the other clobber we like to have...The maximum load for this area is stated to be 150kg so this morning I took the bathroom scales and weighed every item that I want to take. I stopped loading when it was a total of 150kg
Then I filled the fresh water tank, emptied the waste tank, left the toilet pretty much full, put my Missus in the passenger seat and headed for a local weighbridge.
The items missing for a proper trip away amounted to our daughter, food, clothing and bedding. The fuel tank was just half full.
So, drum roll as we drive on to the scales, precisely 3200kg with me in the driving seat!
One big sigh of relief and I am really quite pleased. The axle weights came out at 1440kg forward and 1760kg rear, well within the tolerance and any additional weight is going to be biased towards the front so it will be pretty evenly balanced.
Despite being happy with the outcome the exercise has demonstrated how precarious the situation can be. I'm glad that we are just a three person family. I had no plans of fitting a bike rack, nor an awning nor anything extra on the roof and today these figures have confirmed those ideas.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Interested to know how many of you have been on a weigh bridge. We have recently changed our motor home to a Autotrail Apache. After a weekend away we wondered how much spare weight we had when planning a month touring France and Spain. So off to the weighbridge I went. Bit of a shock to say the least! With what we had on board we only had 45 kg left spare and that was without the wife or bikes. We are now in the process of upgrading our payload and also removing the swivel seats which weigh 28kg between them.
(Will never use them as have U shaped lounge and if you swivelled round you would be looking at the bathroom /wardrobe walls)
I am so glad I got her weighed as want to be safe and legal. Just wondered how many funsters have weighed in or do you just guess?
I know some of you will say they would leave the wife and one bike behind but she is quite useful at times and I think she deserves a holiday anyway!:Eeek:

Not too bad. I took it to the local tip where they would tell you the weight for free if you didn't want it written down. 4400kg with me, full LPG, half petrol, half water (full is 250kg) and bedding. That gives me over 500kg for family, food more water, dog and clothes.

They couldn't do axle weights. Hopefully my next MOT tomorrow will tell me those.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I get the van weighed, when its loaded up, before each trip, specifically to adjust the tyre pressures to achieve the most comfortable ride. Works for me!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back