Mc Donald's Wi-Fi (1 Viewer)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Wanted to send an email recently whilst in Cornwall. Visited the one next to Morrison's in Newquay. The manageress didn't just advise me but set it up for me.
Went onto Outlook Express, in rolled the emails but I couldn't send. Just kept getting messages saying server may not support SSL or server name or port error.

Any ideas as I don't get this problem when logged onto other wifi other than my own?
Is it a system that McD's use that is cauing the problem or some other reason? I tried changing various setting but to no avail.
Also another McDonald's

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to explain this in terms that a novice can understand, so no offence intended

at home your computer connects to your service provider and their own server. therefore your settings are set to look for this server every time you connect, and the server checks you are using your home connection

try accessing your service providers from say mcdonalds and it cant talk to your computer fully as its on the wrong network. downloading is ok, but you cant send an email because of this

I've countered this by setting up email addresses using a domain name I own and a paid for server. this means I have full control over how I connect to the server.

web mail will still work as it uses a different form of connection, so set up a gmail, hotmail or live account and send replies from this instead

obviously the full description of the issue is more complicated but would confuse most. hope this has helped?

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Its easy to bypass - just get an authsmtp.com account - £20 a year - you can re-route through that ...or £12 from 123-reg..

I prefer authsmtp....

You can of course get your own domain and sort that out....not for the non-tech folks!!

OR use gmail...I havent done this in a while - but pretty sure you can validate your send and receive addresses such that gmail will appear as your "me@yourdomain.co.uk"...

If thats gibberish we may need to write a longer explanation :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I must be somewhere below Novice level

to explain this in terms that a novice can understand, so no offence intended

at home your computer connects to your service provider and their own server. therefore your settings are set to look for this server every time you connect, and the server checks you are using your home connection

try accessing your service providers from say mcdonalds and it cant talk to your computer fully as its on the wrong network. downloading is ok, but you cant send an email because of this

I've countered this by setting up email addresses using a domain name I own and a paid for server. this means I have full control over how I connect to the server.

web mail will still work as it uses a different form of connection, so set up a gmail, hotmail or live account and send replies from this instead

obviously the full description of the issue is more complicated but would confuse most. hope this has helped?

Sorry - but I didn't understand any of it. I must be below novice level :Sad::Sad:

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Visit mail2web.com put in your home email and password, send and receive as if you were at home. Works just as well when abroad.

Steve

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Sorry - but I didn't understand any of it. I must be below novice level :Sad::Sad:

sorry, will try again

your computer talks to the server computer (say BT internet) and has to prove you are one of their customers (using your BT Hub at home for instance)

if the server gets the wrong answer to its checks, you cant use that connection to send email. it will allow you to get received emails if you get the account name and password right, just not send any

a simple fix is to sign up for a free email address that is internet based, not from your home broadband supplier. for instance a hotmail address such as somebody@hotmail.co.uk or gmail one somebody@gmail.com. use this to send emails or reply whilst away from home

a proper fix would be more complex and is beyond this simple explanation

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If you use Gmail it is possible to set up your email client on the computer to sync with Gmail as an IMAP account, rather than POP3. That way you can send mail directly from the mail client wherever you are, rather than using the web / browser version, and retain a copy of sent mail on the computer.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
for this reason thats why i always use gmail web based mail is better can hook onto it from anywhere maybe u can get a gmail account and have ya old mail forwarded to that account

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
McD

Wanted to send an email recently whilst in Cornwall. Visited the one next to Morrison's in Newquay. The manageress didn't just advise me but set it up for me.
Went onto Outlook Express, in rolled the emails but I couldn't send. Just kept getting messages saying server may not support SSL or server name or port error.

Any ideas as I don't get this problem when logged onto other wifi other than my own?
Is it a system that McD's use that is cauing the problem or some other reason? I tried changing various setting but to no avail.
Also another McDonald's

Never had any problem with McD but have mostly used French ones.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Was at the same location Newquay couple of weeks back using gmail and yahoo no problem via Mc-D

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Instead of using outlook express just log in to your email account mine is bt so when out and about I just log into them direct and can send and receive emails no probs as did this from McD in France last year when keeping in touch with my parents.

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
The problem being experienced is an authentication issue - your broadband provider expects your email to be coming for a certain IP address on its network.....as your not at home, it thinks you are someone else.

This is common practice by ISP's, helps prevent some methods of spamming.

In order to get round this you need to have your own "outbox" or delivery system.

Using something like Authsmtp.com gives you your own delivery "van" - doesnt need to ask BT (or your ISP) for permission to deliver mail and you can keep all your current email addresses (non web e.g. hotmail)

I just checked gmail and you cannot send from a.n.other pop account (thats your normal email) but you can recieve it; thus picking up mail from fred@bt.com is possible but when you reply it will from from fred@gmail.com

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I am with Virgin (blueyonder) and while at home use the POP3 address but they also have a webmail service which allows me to access my mail as a web based service. It's worth asking your provider if they do webmail.

Wyn

OP
OP
Larby
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
McDonald's Wi-Fi

Thank you everyone for your guidance and explanations.

So, it's clear I can't send from my Orange Outlook via an O2 Wi-Fi as it is an authentication issue.
I have opened a Gmail account and have tested sending email to that from my home server and forwarding it back via Gmail.
So far so good, now to sync the two.
The problem arose as someone had claimed I hadn't sent them an email, that's why I wanted to be able to send in the first instance as I wished to forward it on as proof.
I copied it and pasted to an outgoing message and used the Orange webmail facility as Wyn suggested.
I am passing a McDs on Saturday so will give it a test.
Need to be ready to tell everyone what a good holiday I'm having in France in August!

Deckard

Free Member
Mar 26, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
...looking
Exp
Noob
Thank you everyone for your guidance and explanations.

So, it's clear I can't send from my Orange Outlook via an O2 Wi-Fi as it is an authentication issue.
I have opened a Gmail account and have tested sending email to that from my home server and forwarding it back via Gmail.
So far so good, now to sync the two.
The problem arose as someone had claimed I hadn't sent them an email, that's why I wanted to be able to send in the first instance as I wished to forward it on as proof.
I copied it and pasted to an outgoing message and used the Orange webmail facility as Wyn suggested.
I am passing a McDs on Saturday so will give it a test.
Need to be ready to tell everyone what a good holiday I'm having in France in August!

Your gmail (or hotmail) will work fine from any wi-fi usually; gmail does not authenticate you that way, but via your login and password....so all is good :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back