LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was with Virgin and getting around 20meg.

Changed to BT and still get 20meg down 12 up,, wifi but over 45 meg (non wifi), is it my wifi card?

Thoughts?
How do I test the wifi card?

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Changed to BT and still get 20meg down 12 up,, wifi but over 45 meg (non wifi), is it my wifi card?

Thoughts?
Why did you change to BT, I am as we speak looking around after being with Virgin for many years.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007

Thoughts?

what kind of wireless router do you have? as in B, G, N etc, maybe the router needs to be upgarded or just a firmware update

Also - worth checking your routers config in the QoS area - check for WMM being enabled, if it is turn it off and see if that helps

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
what kind of wireless router do you have? as in B, G, N etc, maybe the router needs to be upgarded or just a firmware update

Also - worth checking your routers config in the QoS area - check for WMM being enabled, if it is turn it off and see if that helps

Its a new BT Home Hub 4.0 type A. the rest you have lost me..

D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its likely you have a wireless g type card in your laptop/computer. the theoretical maximum throughput of which is 54mb in absolute ideal conditions, however it is normal to see half this speed or less in practice

there are several issues with wireless networks that slow speeds, but the main one is congestion caused by all the other items in your home (and neighbours) that use the 2.4ghz frequency

for this reason amongst others the newer wireless n type cards use a higher frequency of 5ghz

the way round this is to use a wireless n card and router, its not that simple with laptops

ethernet cables dont suffer the same issues so can communicate pretty much as fast as your ISP can, so much faster in most cases

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Its a new BT Home Hub 4.0 type A. the rest you have lost me..

D

ah - one of them...so its is an N-type

wireless will always be slower than direct Ethernet connection, for a whole heap of reasons, but your variance is too much

just found this potential solution...

Open up Device Manager by holding the 'Windows Key and R' at the same time until you get the run box and then type in devmgmt.msc .

Then find your wireless adapter, and right click and go to Properties.

Then under the Advanced Tab there will be two things the Roaming Tendancy, please set this to Conservative and the Romain Decision to Optimise Bandwidth

!

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
ah - one of them...so its is an N-type

wireless will always be slower than direct Ethernet connection, for a whole heap of reasons, but your variance is too much

just found this potential solution...

Open up Device Manager by holding the 'Windows Key and R' at the same time until you get the run box and then type in devmgmt.msc .

Then find your wireless adapter, and right click and go to Properties.

Then under the Advanced Tab there will be two things the Roaming Tendancy, please set this to Conservative and the Romain Decision to Optimise Bandwidth

!

Under advanced

Fragmentation Threshold - 2346
IBSS 54g(tm) mode - 54g auto
IBSS 54g(tm) Protection Mode - Auto
Local Adminstered MAC Address - Not present
No Description - 11
Priority & VLAN - Disabled
Rate - Best Rate
RTS Threshold - 2347

I cant see Roaming Tendancy, please set this to Conservative and the Romain Decision to Optimise Bandwidth

D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
with a 54g card, you wont get it much faster than at present for the reasons I gave above. for example contention and congestion.

even a wireless n type router cant move data to your computer faster than the 54g card can handle

if you disable the onboard wireless card on your laptop and install a cheap (under £10) usb wireless n card, that will give you faster data rates

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
sorted:thumb:

Id assumed you had a N wireless card on the laptop:Doh:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
Last night
e47efeb1271c5f98f66d92a1577ecce4.jpg

Prior to fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) via Bt
78bf4efbb214f98ea257d59d5b6587ed.jpg

And tonight's

f7934a2e15d5841b174e56336c06b0ef.jpg

Fermenter

Free Member
Sep 6, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Since 2012
Why did you change to BT, I am as we speak looking around after being with Virgin for many years.

I too have been with Virgin for years. I am considering leaving as my connection drops out or is very slow. The only reason I am hesitant is the thought of having to change the curent email address on everything to a new one. Probably lazy unless anyone knows of a work round?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back