Don't miss this if you are passing (1 Viewer)

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
We always go to Llandudno steam fair; similarly, we don't often miss Oktoberfest and Dartmouth Regatta.

The thing is we often travel round Europe and come across events that we wish we had known about in advance. We are not interested in music festivals or art exhibitions. We like Beer festivals, steam fairs and all those street events. I suppose the best way to describe what we are looking for are those events where it is obvious that the whole town is out and about on the street. Lots of food tents, souvenir shops, street entertainers. It does not matter what is being celebrated.

I can easily find web sites that show all the festivals in the world and they are searchable by date and country. They just don't work for me. With the best of intentions, please don't reply with a web site, I really only want locations and dates.

Is it possible to compile a list of "don't miss this if your passing" for events in UK and Europe? If the responses warrant it I will summarise and compile a list of dates and locations.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
We always go to Llandudno steam fair; similarly, we don't often miss Oktoberfest and Dartmouth Regatta.

The thing is we often travel round Europe and come across events that we wish we had known about in advance. We are not interested in music festivals or art exhibitions. We like Beer festivals, steam fairs and all those street events. I suppose the best way to describe what we are looking for are those events where it is obvious that the whole town is out and about on the street. Lots of food tents, souvenir shops, street entertainers. It does not matter what is being celebrated.

I can easily find web sites that show all the festivals in the world and they are searchable by date and country. They just don't work for me. With the best of intentions, please don't reply with a web site, I really only want locations and dates.

Is it possible to compile a list of "don't miss this if your passing" for events in UK and Europe? If the responses warrant it I will summarise and compile a list of dates and locations.

Friday 9th August 2013. Cowes Week traditional fireworks display is the highlight and end to a fabulous week of yacht racing; best watched from a boat but good from the Royal Yacht Squadron also. :thumb:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I think this is an excellent idea. I have recently been searching for small non-music festivals, such as the story telling festival we stumbled across a couple of years ago near Wenlock Edge, keep meaning to go back. Don't mind some music but don't want to go to huge commercial concerns.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Le Weekend - Sandwich, Kent. This coming weekend, 8th & 9th June, classic cars, French market, dancing & music, cycle races, hog roast etc.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
love the replies so far, great ideas, keep 'em coming.

Good thread bernardfeay even better if you precis it and we have a list, though regionally and even internationally it will be a massive list....:thumb:

Aug 23, 2011
Huntingdon, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Lyseo 727g
Exp
since 2011
King's Day (formerly Queen's Day) in Holland, especially Amsterdam, at the end of April. A riot of orange, with street parties, music, parades and everybody out selling their unwanted stuff, turning into what must be the biggest flea market anywhere.

MrMotorhome

Funster
Deceased RIP
May 19, 2009
Funster No
King's Day (formerly Queen's Day) in Holland, especially Amsterdam, at the end of April. A riot of orange, with street parties, music, parades and everybody out selling their unwanted stuff, turning into what must be the biggest flea market anywhere.

Three Kings - 1st week of January - Throughtout Spain, in major cities.

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Dumfries Guid Nychburris or in English good neighbours

This last all week with small events through out the week then on the Saturday they have the riding of the marches and the local queen is crowned, this is picked from a local high school from the 4th year pupils.

There is then a day of different activities throughout the day before they have the Pagent Parade at night, this consists of about 100 vechiles from tractors to hgv lorries with the back of them dressed up.

Forgot to mention some of the pubs are open at 6am, here is a link to it and if anyone is interested in visiting let me know if I have room you can park here 10 min walk from main activities if I can't fit you in will take you to quiet place within walking distance.

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Just thought of another one that is a fun day out and you can even take part in

The world flounder tramping championship held at Palnakie just past Dumfries every year really is fun to watch and if brave enough you can try, they go in bare foot and trap the flounders with their feet.

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back