wild camping around loch Ness (1 Viewer)

Billillston

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Dutchman Dorado Cclass RV
Exp
Since 2006
Hi we are thinking of touring round Scotland and would like to possibly wild camp around loch Ness for a couple of days,does any one have any experience of doing so eg: is it legal and are there any good spots any one can recommend, any feedback would be useful.
Many thanks Bill and Shirley.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hi we are thinking of touring round Scotland and would like to possibly wild camp around loch Ness for a couple of days,does any one have any experience of doing so eg: is it legal and are there any good spots any one can recommend, any feedback would be useful.
Many thanks Bill and Shirley.

You will find wild camping difficult along the loch side on the main road, it may be possible on the car park at Drmnadrochit by the information kiosk, but if you take the less traveled, and I feel more beautiful south side through Whitebridge there are plenty of places available up to Fort Augustus, where there are a few away from the lochside but as the season gets into school holiday time the likelihood of being moved on increases.

From Fort Augustus to Fort William there are a few places but not many and by the time you reach Fort William it will be very difficult. This is a a major tourist area and there is a lot of competition for parking places. If you want a good spot try contacting Salvation Army at Fort William for a modest donation they may well let you park in their car park.

Have fun - lived in that area for about 10 years and really enjoyed it.

Norman

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Hello there. Can't help you myself but Dingray was only talking to me about his stay on the side of Loch Ness only last week . (The conversation was last week). He may not have seen your post but if you pm him I am sure he will come on here and tell us all about where he stayed. It sounded brilliant.:thumb:

I will try and contact him but he is travelling and so it is difficult. Joy x

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Billillston

Billillston

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2006
Wild camping.

Many thanks for your reply, We will maybe have to re think, Do you know if the Salvation Army car park is close to the edge of the Loch ?
Bill & Shirley.

OP
OP
Billillston

Billillston

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2006
wild camping

Thanks for your reply Joy & for trying to contact Dingray it would really be helpful if he knows of somewhere to stay.
Bill.

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
We were up there this year and couldnt find anywhere.We ended up on a small lakeside park, Lochness holiday park if i remember.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Just back from Fort William and stay only 45 mins from Loch Ness you will struggle to find anywhere with a loch view and if you overnight in the laybye's you will be moved on as highland region are striked on no overnight parking.
The Lochness camp site on the North side is right on the Loch, don't know how much it costs and there is a new one opening on the south side some time soon.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
just remembered on the north side just past Urquhart castle there is a community hall on the left just over the bridge, think you may be able to overnight there, stopped once for lunch and used the toilets and remember a sign saying "please do not empty chemical toilets" which may imply that you can overnight in the car park with a view of the castle provided you behave
just a thought

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
We were up there this year and couldnt find anywhere.We ended up on a small lakeside park, Lochness holiday park if i remember.
:thumb:

We stayed there last year for a couple of nights and even saw Nessie go by:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Took a boat ride across the Loch which was interesting:thumb:

Attachments

• Loch Ness 020.jpg
    Loch Ness 020.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 102
  • Loch Ness 016.jpg
    Loch Ness 016.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 101

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Just back from Fort William and stay only 45 mins from Loch Ness you will struggle to find anywhere with a loch view and if you overnight in the laybye's you will be moved on as highland region are striked on no overnight parking.

These signs in lay-bys were judged to be illegal in 2012 and the Highland Council agreed to remove them over time.

You can read about their decision HERE

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
we have never failed to find a spot to park within 15mins of deciding it was time to park up for the night just keep your eyes open and slow down whilst looking. set back laybys are preferable and many POIs are available for satnavs to pinpoint them.

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Can't contact Dingray but he is comiing to Wrenbury and we are meeting him there so will ask him to put an answer and hope that is not too late for you.. Joy x:thumb:

OP
OP
Billillston

Billillston

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2006

Many thanks Dave I have looked at the Lochness Holiday park and it looks good so think that will be our choice.

Thanks for the help.

Bill & Shirl.

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
My apologies for possibly opening up an old thread here, but when we hired a motorhome to tour that part of Scotland in August, we booked into the new touring park on the south side of Loch Ness.

It had only been open two weeks, but it's a lovely place with a beautiful drive if you turn off just before Drumnadrochit (sp?) if you're heading from Fort William. I suppose we could have wild camped but it was our first night in a motorhome and it was a good decision. The camspite is lovely with great views and some excellent walks along the loch.

The owners are motorhomers themselves and have built the place with that in mind.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
agree lovely site, stayed there at the end of the 1st week they opened will be really good once fully established

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
My apologies for possibly opening up an old thread here, but when we hired a motorhome to tour that part of Scotland in August, we booked into the new touring park on the south side of Loch Ness.

It had only been open two weeks, but it's a lovely place with a beautiful drive if you turn off just before Drumnadrochit (sp?) if you're heading from Fort William. I suppose we could have wild camped but it was our first night in a motorhome and it was a good decision. The camspite is lovely with great views and some excellent walks along the loch.

The owners are motorhomers themselves and have built the place with that in mind.

:thumb: Thanks for the information do you have a name for the site ? we are hoping to tour later this month.

jann

Free Member
Mar 21, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
We have overnighted at a Forestry commission picnic spot at Loch Ness. Don't know exact spot. It was south of Drumnadrochit.:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have overnighted at a Forestry commission picnic spot at Loch Ness. Don't know exact spot. It was south of Drumnadrochit.:Smile:

There is a ban on "camping and overnight stays" in Forestry Commission Scotland picnic sites and car parks so people doing so may be moved on if wardens are about.

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
Magbrin Nurseries just down the road from the loch, and they are funsters.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back