LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Has anyone seen or have converters for Calor bottles that allows you to fill them with LPG at a garage?

My OH is convinced he's seen them on ebay but now can't find them

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
IMO they are playing with a bomb in the wrong hands.

No 80% fill stop.

Mel

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Just make sure I am nowhere near when he tries to fill the bottles.To my mind it is just stupid. No 80% cut off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes been using them since the 70,s .pm for an address . there usually are several on ebay . with several adaptors you can fill almost any bottle . its fround upon on forums but its common abroad . mind in some countries its cheaper to get a local bottle .spain is expensive for autogas compared to bottles

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
Thanks for the replies, he wasn't sure about the 80% cut off but you have answered one of his queries on the safe (or not) use of them

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
fill from empty use weight or litres its easy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
more and more UK forecourts are refusing to start the pump if they see any attempt to fill a free standing gas bottle.

Gaslow usually have a remote fill point mounted on the bodywork so would look like it was a fixed/underslung tank.

As said, there is no automatic shut off valve at 80% full so in theory you could fill to 100% then with a bit of expansion in warm weather you could have liquid gas coming out your cooker burners....can you cook on a two foot high flame that won't turn off. ?.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pumps shut off at 90% plus you should know what litres to put into an empty bottle . many gas low dont have bulkhead fillers and their 80%shut off valves are prone to not working . some with us in spain had terrible trouble with gaslow bottles . expensive crap i think they are. leaking joints poor quality fixings disgracefull.

OP
OP
scousebird

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
He's decided not to do any further research on them, he wasn't convinced anyway - that's the beauty of being able to ask questions on here, helps make up the mind!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i would drop one off just for ease
1kg you say 2litres 80%is dealed with already in the 6kg .

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i would drop one off just for ease
1kg you say 2litres 80%is dealed with already in the 6kg .

there is approximately 1.82ltrs of propane to 1kg...therefore...

6kg bottle = 10.92ltrs

13kg bottle = 23.66ltrs

So, buy your figures you are overfilling by 1.08ltr for 6kg and 2.44ltrs for 13kg

By my reckoning that's around a 10% overfill for 6kg and a 10% for a 13kg.

To take account of tailings, sediment and water in the repeatedly refilled bottle I would say 10ltrs for 6kg and 22ltrs for 13kg max..

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
calor fill to about 90%. very often more .
you could just put less in . i really dont mind putting a bit more in . having had lpg converted
vehicles i like the bleed off valve systems . dont get them much now .but have seen many a 80%shut off valve fail . you can tell when the pump noise changes usually when its getting near to stop .
also having seen bottles overfilled and sat in the sahara desert for days in real hot sun . i,m fairly confident that expansion isnt that much of a problem .
think it far worse to be trusting in the 80%shut off valve and not be wary of whats going on .
been pumping lpg for years . at one time i used my american krug hand pump to fill the car from bottles there wasnt any garages with lpg round here.

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Has anyone seen or have converters for Calor bottles that allows you to fill them with LPG at a garage?

My OH is convinced he's seen them on ebay but now can't find them

Yes I got mine at the motor show
Very easy AND SAFE to use
Cost about £30
Well worth it. Costs less than £18 to fill a 13kg propane bottle paid for its self in just two fills:thumb:

It has a guide to show how many Lrts/Kg to fill up different size bottles:thumb:

All uk motor pumps are pressure activated to stop over fill
So you can not put more than 80% is clicks off at the pump:RollEyes:

So don't listen to the scare mongers about over fill and bombs :ROFLMAO:
Used mine for two years and still saving :thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I used one for several years before getting the Alugas kit...
Absolutely NO problems at all.
As said, I always start with a completely empty bottle and just go my litres.

As a matter of interest, all the cars and vans I have worked on running on LPG seem to rely on the pump shut off.. Certainly nowt special in the tanks other than a one way valve.
Open the tap, fill the bottle, close the tap disconnect the filling pipe.. job done

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
calor fill to about 90%. very often more .
you could just put less in . i really dont mind putting a bit more in . having had lpg converted
vehicles i like the bleed off valve systems . dont get them much now .but have seen many a 80%shut off valve fail . you can tell when the pump noise changes usually when its getting near to stop .
also having seen bottles overfilled and sat in the sahara desert for days in real hot sun . i,m fairly confident that expansion isnt that much of a problem .
think it far worse to be trusting in the 80%shut off valve and not be wary of whats going on .
been pumping lpg for years . at one time i used my american krug hand pump to fill the car from bottles there wasnt any garages with lpg round here.

from calor gas website....

How full is a Calor gas cylinder in a full condition, in percentage terms?

All cylinders are 80-87% full as space needs to be left for the expansion of liquid. The weight on the front of the cylinder is the total weight of gas in the bottle.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I used one for several years before getting the Alugas kit...
Absolutely NO problems at all.
As said, I always start with a completely empty bottle and just go my litres.

As a matter of interest, all the cars and vans I have worked on running on LPG seem to rely on the pump shut off.. Certainly nowt special in the tanks other than a one way valve.
Open the tap, fill the bottle, close the tap disconnect the filling pipe.. job done

they all have an 80% fill valve John....afaik, by law.

When the pump stops it means the 80% valve has closed.

I have three tanks totalling 195ltrs water capacity....meaning they will hold that quantity of water at 100% full....yet only take 135ltrs of lpg.
One tank valve is faulty and closes to soon as it should be 156ltrs to 80%.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
so .3%.let me off .ha ha
but they do fill my big tank at home with more . but anyway . i did say i drop one litre on the amount so let me off . please .
or i,ll kick your scooter next time i see it . hee hee.
now have a flogas station at the end of my road . they do 19kg bottles that are only 2 quid dearer than filling with autogas so i dont bother . mind handy if abroad just to top up if i weigh the bottle .
last winter i took a 19kg bottle and my spanish bottle . only used the uk inbetween exchanging the spanish .used 4 spanish and came home with 10 litres of gas in the uk bottle .
if going morocco i take a maroc bottle in stead of the uk . got three full maroc bottles here . ready for me and friends to use. they live in their vans i,m store keeper.
pappa my tank at home as a bleed off and my calor car conversion as one as well. . but the pumps normally shut off at 90%. i drove for calor for awhile .

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
IMO they are playing with a bomb in the wrong hands.

No 80% fill stop.

Mel

Just make sure I am nowhere near when he tries to fill the bottles.To my mind it is just stupid. No 80% cut off.

Here we go again.
:yawn:
Check the above, they have it figured.
It's unsafe, stupid and not permitted by the garages.

Dont listen to the "I all ways do it, they dont see me, ha ha, never had a problem" "I lay them down in the car boot" (that really is stupid) merchants.
They will have a problem some day and it will be someone else's fault.
If you can afford a motorhome, surely you can afford gas or a gaslow system.
We aint talking about a daily purchase here, nor are we talknig mega bucks.
Example: 3 week trip to Italy using gas for heating, cooking and some heating... half a 6kg cylinder.

IT IS DANGEROUS and not permitted by the cylinders' owners. (Calor, usually)

End of this thread for me.
The muppet show will be along soon.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
What would you rather cook on Gas,petrol or diesel?

Now the A frame saga will [STRIKE]commence[/STRIKE] continue.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
but having seen so many problems with gas low i couldnt recommend them to my worse enemy .
even pappa admits his shut off valve isnt working correct .

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
I've seen bottles refilled on forecourts in two countries Canada and New Zealand. In both case the basis of the procedure is the same, the tare weight of the cylinder is added to its capacity in kg to give the gross weight of a full cylinder. The cylinder is weighed and the amount of gas needed to fill it calculated. This amount of LPG is pumped in; job done.
I Canada it was an attendant who used a old-fashion balance arm scales and then wrote out a chitty which was taken to the cashier for payment.
In NZ we had to return the MH full of diesel and LPG and were advised to use the BP station around the corner on the way back. I got to the LPG pump and disconnected the cylinder, I'm sure the pump was a self-service operation. But being a old geyser with a hired MH a healthy young kiwi lass soon appeared with a cheerier "I'll do that for you, sir". The pump had a flat section like a petrol pump with was a weighing scales, the tare and capacity were entered using a keypad and the pump did all the calculations. The cylinder was connected up and a button pressed. Hey presto the cylinder was correctly filled, when inside with the two pump numbers (diesel and LPG) and paid as normal.

I both countries you only pay for the gas used not the full cylinder charge and you keep your own cylinder. So refilling cylinder can be done safely, but in rip-off Britain Calor reigns supreme.

Gordon

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
there is approximately 1.82ltrs of propane to 1kg...therefore...

6kg bottle = 10.92ltrs

13kg bottle = 23.66ltrs

So, buy your figures you are overfilling by 1.08ltr for 6kg and 2.44ltrs for 13kg

By my reckoning that's around a 10% overfill for 6kg and a 10% for a 13kg.

To take account of tailings, sediment and water in the repeatedly refilled bottle I would say 10ltrs for 6kg and 22ltrs for 13kg max..

Are you sure Pappa?

Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane#Density says:
The density of liquid propane at 25 °C (77 °F) is 0.493 g/cm3, which is equivalent to 4.11 pounds per U.S. liquid gallon or 493 grams per litre. Propane expands at 1.5% per 10 °F. Thus, liquid propane has a density of approximately 4.2 pounds per gallon at 60 °F.
So at 493g/l you would need 12.17l to get 6kg and 26.37l to get 13kg.

Gordon

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
buy a bloody adaptor and go for it the reason they dont want you to use them is due to the price calor charges for the gaz it cost me around 8 euro in portugal to fill my 6k bottle and here it costs 22 quid to replace the same amount of gaz maybe that tells u something

1949mick

Free Member
May 31, 2013
Gillingham Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Refillable LPG Gas Bottles

Hi There I am a newbie to this site but the following web site might be of intrest Its for Gaslow refillable Lpg bottles for Motorhomes , Caravans and Boats. I am thinking of this modification for my own Motorhome and came across this Company during my search They replace existing bottles and come with all the Adaptors needed across Europe. Go to the following link for info :-
http://www.motorcaravanning.co.uk/shopuk/gaslow_refillables.htm
Hope this helps
1949mick

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I know I said last post on this thread, but...
Common sense is absent here.

Consider...
If filling someone else's cylinders (Calor etc. arent yours) with a mickey mouse pigtail off fleabay was safe and legal, which it aint, the fuel companies would not only allow it, but they would be promoting it to sell more product.

What gas costs in Portugal or what they allow in Canada or Antarctica is irrelevant.
This is UK, it's not permitted.

Now...
To a more important topic...
Who has been gassed and robbed of a kerosene powered A frame on a motorway services in Andorra?

That's just as sensible.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
john i think you will find most bottle fillers are made far stronger then you think solid brass or a mixture of steels and brass .
it doesnt matter if you think this or yours should be the last comment on this subject . you arent god.
untill you have full control we shall keep discussing this subject. you dont have to respond .
we dont care what you think .
but dont worry we all have views . keep smiling . we love you really .hee hee

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
john i think you will find most bottle fillers are made far stronger then you think solid brass or a mixture of steels and brass .
it doesnt matter if you think this or yours should be the last comment on this subject . you arent god.
untill you have full control we shall keep discussing this subject. you dont have to respond .
we dont care what you think .

Alan,
I didnt say this was[HI] THE [/HI]last comment on the subject, I said it was [HI]MY[/HI] last comment, nor did I intimate it should be the last comment made.
I dont give a toss how many comments are made, they will go around in the usual circles anyway.
Likewise, I also dont care what you think, I dont want control of anything and I dont profess to be God.
Nor do I profess to be an expert on any and every topic, having done everything everywhere as has your good self, apparently.

Read before posting.

I was merely passing on good advice, rather than unqualified bullshit, in response to the OP.

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2012
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Camper van
Exp
1year 10 times
C'mon guys I read more than write on here but appreciate all the comments
The sun is shinning in Derbyshire be happy

Join us or log in to post a reply.