Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I'm a newbie
What do you do if like me and you are looking for your first motorhome and you want a test drive? OK it will be alright from a dealer but what about a private test sale test drive?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
We bought privately and took out on test drive with the seller but as he had a haulage business we used his temp plates for the business and of course he came too !! I am sure someone will have the answer here :) is excellent how helpful everyone is ::bigsmile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I didn't know dealers allowed test drives in motorhomes. Just goes to show, you learn something every day.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
If you have insurance cover you will probably be allowed a test drive on a private sale, but be aware check your insurance first as not all insurance cover includes third party driving - meaning you are not allowed to drive other vehicles using your own insurance as cover for any possible misshaps

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
Yes check the wording of your existing policy if you have motor insurance. Most offer you third part insurance for other cars lent to or hired to you. Some even extend their fully comp to those on loan to you. Need not be a problem but if your that worried you should speak to your insurance provider.

robi49

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Beith
Funster No
MH
low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Re insurance

If your insurance allows you to drive other vehicles, it will probably be for third party only.
As it will state the insured may also drive a motor car not belonging to him or hired to him under a hire purchase agreement. provided he has a license to drive the vehicle and has the owners consent.

If it is a private sale I would never say I was road testing it as this could be construed as something to do with motor trade.
robi

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Test drive - no problem when I bought mine from a dealer in Suffolk....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back