France satnav and safety/speed cameras (1 Viewer)

boyart23

Free Member
Feb 27, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
since 2002
Hi,
The British Embassy in France tell me it is against the law to use or even have in a vehicle in France, a satnav with speed/safety camera loaded or used. Even having the facility disabled is unacceptable. Tried contacting satnav supplier to find out how to remove said software. No help there. Any funster got any ideas, apart from leaving the satnav home or not going there!
Boyart23

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I've still not heard of anyone actually getting done for this yet.

What's the actual fine value and the chance of getting caught vs avoiding a speeding fine...

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Do an update
Tom Tom for instance automaticly removed them when updated
You dont say what sat nav you have

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I've still not heard of anyone actually getting done for this yet.

What's the actual fine value and the chance of getting caught vs avoiding a speeding fine...

I belive the French have got quite stroppy over it confiscating the sat nav is only one part of the penalty

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
If you are not happy just leave it locked in a cupboard for the time you are in France, you are highly unlikely to be searched for a satnav,

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I belive the French have got quite stroppy over it confiscating the sat nav is only one part of the penalty

How can they tell if you have speed cam warnings on your French map other than by driving past one:Confused:

I suspect they would need to see you braking before a speed cam and wonder how you knew it was there.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
You are on holiday and in a motorhome, in my book that = taking it easy, just know your vehicle weight and what speeds you are allowed to travel at on their roads, then enjoy the sights that you wont miss as you are speeding by.

Broken Link Removed

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I much prefer the new TomTom idea.. exceed the speed limit and it warns you..

Much better than just a warning when a camera is there..

Might sound odd I spose ( especially from someone like me who is a bit of a speed junky ) but believe it or not I tend to stick to the speed limits when out of the UK** whether there is a camera there or not.. and it is easy to miss some of the speed restriction signs !!

** When in the UK I tend to work like this..

20 IS 20
30 IS 30
40 IS 40
50 IS 50

But outside those.. at the risk of self incrimination I will just say I do like to 'make progress'

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You are on holiday and in a motorhome, in my book that = taking it easy, just know your vehicle weight and what speeds you are allowed to travel at on their roads, then enjoy the sights that you wont miss as you are speeding by.

Broken Link Removed

I agree with chatter on this .... simple answer is not to speed, just relax and enjoy the ride.

ps my snooper does the same as Jaws tomtom and can warn when over the speed limit.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Agree with Maggie (Chatter) and the few other answers going the same way !

Just forget it! They won't take your sat nav if you're not French and then not able to have it back!....and honestly I doubt they'll check your sat nav at all!
Up to now never heard anyone telling me so...of course I don't know all the French::bigsmile:

Just relax , don't over speed and they won't annoy you ... or even THEMSELVES!! Don't forget that redtape in France is a real pain, so if they can avoid to stay 30 more minutes at work just to fill in a form because they took your sat nav away....they will!:winky:

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile:

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We just disble the warnings, we have the snooper s6000 its a 7 inch screen, we have passed a few gendarmes quite closely on roundabouts as well as on the road so close enough for them to see our satnav easily but haven't been stopped.
We never speed anyway even in the UK.
We rely on it quite heavily with common sense of course, don't know where we would be without it especially in France
:Smile:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi,
The British Embassy in France tell me it is against the law to use or even have in a vehicle in France, a satnav with speed/safety camera loaded or used. Even having the facility disabled is unacceptable. Tried contacting satnav supplier to find out how to remove said software. No help there. Any funster got any ideas, apart from leaving the satnav home or not going there!
Boyart23

Clearly, the law is the law.

However, the reality is, from my experience of driving all over Europe, including France, is that the French police couldn't care less about your SatNav. Its more scaremongering.

Obviously, if you get caught speeding or crash, then all options are open to them.

Moral: don't speed.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

However, the reality is, from my experience of driving all over Europe, including France, is that the French police couldn't care less about your SatNav. Its more scaremongering.

Obviously, if you get caught speeding or crash, then all options are open to them.

I agree !! Anyway they sell sat nav here with warnings for cameras on it ! Not sure of where that one came from but have been stopped several times on routine checks never asked about GPS , just check of licence , assurance and controle technique . Enjoy this beautiful country and relax .

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

I agree !! Anyway they sell sat nav here with warnings for cameras on it ! Not sure of where that one came from but have been stopped several times on routine checks never asked about GPS , just check of licence , assurance and controle technique . Enjoy this beautiful country and relax .

Ok mabe not so lovely at the moment with the unusual May weather !! But roll on the weekend and sun. ::bigsmile:

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
If the Speed Camera data is in the form of POI files it can be deleted like any other POI file. Just connect your Satnav to your computer, ignore the manufacturer's update/interface software, and manage it like any USB storage device.

Anyway, most fixed French speed cameras have warning signs ahead of them, or are they being removed now?

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
If the Speed Camera data is in the form of POI files it can be deleted like any other POI file. Just connect your Satnav to your computer, ignore the manufacturer's update/interface software, and manage it like any USB storage device.

Anyway, most fixed French speed cameras have warning signs ahead of them, or are they being removed now?

Yes they are being removed in some places and some new ones do not have warining. They are also being put into autoroute central barriers. Also unmarked cars on autoroute driving at speed limit and if you pass then camera hidden where badge would normally be catches you :-( there are also Pan European bikes with camera in the fairing!! I have a French friend who keeps me updated :) so moral as has been said don't speed you are on holiday ::bigsmile:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Yes they are being removed in some places and some new ones do not have warining however if you see led advising of you speed then there is normally a camera further on and sometimes quite a bit further to lul you into a false sense if security !! . They are also being put into autoroute central barriers. Also unmarked cars on autoroute driving at speed limit and if you pass then camera hidden where badge would normally be catches you :-( there are also Pan European bikes with camera in the fairing!! I have a French friend who keeps me updated :) so moral as has been said don't speed you are on holiday ::bigsmile:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Yes they are being removed in some places and some new ones do not have warning, however if you see led advising of you speed then there is normally a camera further on and sometimes quite a bit further to lull you into a false sense if security !! .
They are also being put into autoroute central barriers. Also unmarked cars on autoroute driving at speed limit and if you pass then camera hidden where badge would normally be catches you :-( there are also Pan European bikes with camera in the fairing!

I believe a tie up with UK is imminent so no hiding place !!

! I have a French friend who keeps me updated :) so moral as has been said don't speed you are on holiday ::bigsmile:

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years
Its not just France all EU countries need to find ways of raising more money.....watch out for speed restrictions on walking.

In town .....a gentle stroll..so be careful when going down hills
In the country a steady stride will be tolerated.....joggers will need a special licence...as will dog walkers.

3 points for getting a wiggle on in the high street
6 points for running
10 points and you are banned.

Pedestrian tax discs to be dispayed on the side of your Face
Fully comp insurance....will depend on the size of your shoes !!!!!

barry:Smile:

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Do an update
Tom Tom for instance automaticly removed them when updated
You dont say what sat nav you have

Geo is correct...I live in France....I have 3 tomtoms....The TT1005 Motorhome/ Caravan edition...the TT 1000...and the Go live ..
All three TToms said when updated or from new, Tom Tom Due the law in France... all France safety cameras have been removed....Job Done... Tom Tom has deleted them...so I would think ALL tom toms with TT camera data on for France will be or have been removed to comply with the law.
All the French neighbours around us all have Sat Navs....nearly all the cars in car parks, supermarkets parked on the road...have either sat navs on or the suction holder on the window...or inbuilt sat navs,..most of the new cars / vans have them fitted...so sat nav must be excepted ?? as everbody but the British Embasy seems to be using them

(I think one of the best items to have in a Motorhome...is a cruise control...I have had them fitted them to all my vans.. my latest it was standard from new ......then just set them to speed limits:thumb: saves a lot of worry)

Last edited:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
cruise is a must and i dont wanna temp fate but i have never been stopped or bothered in any country apart from the uk and even here not for a long time i know you need to be careful of other countries laws but just go away and enjoy yourself dont bang yaself up over this and that you will more stressed out than stayin here in the bloody rain the same regarding a frames i meet a couple in marjal who had a aframe and their answer regarding legal or not was when or if they are stopped they will sort it then and they have had police in spain looking over the frame and amazed at what it does with no problem so pack up ya mh cross the channel and go stress free and enjoy :Smile::Smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

boyart23

Free Member
Feb 27, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
since 2002
France and satnav

Many thank's to all for the words of advice, wisdom and comfort etc re France and speed/safety cameras. Am a bimbler rather than a speedster! For that reason prefer the N or D to the A!

Happy Motorhoming to all. GB

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Many thank's to all for the words of advice, wisdom and comfort etc re France and speed/safety cameras. Am a bimbler rather than a speedster! For that reason prefer the N or D to the A!

Happy Motorhoming to all. GB

I presume you mean roads N and D roads.....that is where a lot of the cameras are....
Not so many on the motorways as 130 km or 110 km is fast enough for most drivers..

Where as before cars vans and lorries used to struggle to get to 30mph (50km):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: and that was in 4th gear... now a days cars vans motorhomes lorries will get to 60mph (96km) in first gear ...then they still have another 5 + gears left....so it is so easy to go over the limit... but not intentionally

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

boyart23

Free Member
Feb 27, 2012
uk
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
since 2002
France and satnav

Mines an ancient TomTom. So changing to new? Garmin or TomTom which is best? There's the question. And re N & D yes we prefer the country life and rural rides, it's the best way to see the real country and much more of what goes on - not to mention ya save a lot of the 'readies'.

As my old chief said "When in danger when in doubt run in circles scream and shout"

Last edited:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Mines an ancient TomTom. So changing to new? Garmin or TomTom which is best? There's the question.

As my old chief said "When in danger when in doubt run in circles scream and shout"

I have had Garmin....but My choice is ...every time TOM TOM:thumb::thumb:.....but others do like garmin:Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back