Free Member
May 16, 2013
felixstowe
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i" a newbie
Hello to all, have a motorhome with u shaped rear seating 2002 year and want to be able to carry passengers on the odd day out have been told need lap belts /dont need lap belts so not sure what the law is anyone know for sure thanks

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Hello to all, have a motorhome with u shaped rear seating 2002 year and want to be able to carry passengers on the odd day out have been told need lap belts /dont need lap belts so not sure what the law is anyone know for sure thanks

Legally because its a 2002 , you don't need them.
But its not really safe for passengers to travel in a rear shape lounge due to the crumple zone , seats without neck rests , side on lap straps cause very bad injuries etcetcetc.
Being unrestrained makes a passenger a flying missile, into the back of your head , think on.
If you had a bump you would have to live with the consequences ( or not :Sad:) .
So the balls in your court. If you want to risk it or not. Sorry we couldn't be more positive.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
If you respect your pasengers strap them in.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

philw111

Free Member
Mar 22, 2009
Moray Firth
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr 484
Exp
Since 2004
Every time there is a thread about seat belts, there only seem to be replies saying how terrible it is to have unrestrained people/dogs/microwaves/etc in a motorhome (or any vehicle come to that). I grew up in a time when seat belts weren't a legal requirement (often not even fitted) and I survived - I remember several of us kids travelling in the boot of my dad's estate car.

Don't get me wrong - I always wear my belt and make sure that my passengers do as well where required but occasionally I carry an additional passenger in the non-belted travelling seat.

Of course there are risks but there are with everything in life. I use common sense, assessing potential risks, and it has got me through relatively unscathed up to this point.

Phil

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my truck doesnt legally need them at all so i took them out .less to go wrong
and i hate seat belts .

Last edited:

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
Hi. As stated you do not legally need belts.

Years ago we had a Toyota coachbuilt with side facing seats and we travelled all over the UK with the kids in the back.

People will say its dangerous to carry passengers etc but lots of people get on buses with no seat belts. Life is full of risks.

Good luck with making a decision. :thumb:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
If you respect your pasengers strap them in.

Mel

To what? If the van is of an age where belts aren't provided or required it's most unlikely that retro fitted belts will be satisfactory. Seat belt provision has to be designed in, not just bolted on afterwards.

We occasionally take short trips with passengers. I drive exceedingly defensively and we all know the risks.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not condoning it or anything else but does anyone know anyone that has been injured in the back of a van without seat belts, I have not heard of any. I am talking about when it was legal as well.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We occasionally take short trips with passengers. I drive exceedingly defensively and we all know the risks.[/QUOTE]

Well thats ok then. Its a well known fact you cant have an accident near your home ::bigsmile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Not condoning it or anything else but does anyone know anyone that has been injured in the back of a van without seat belts, I have not heard of any. I am talking about when it was legal as well.

Not personally in motorhomes . But lots in cars. We all know of Diana and Dodi.
I was a passenger on many a trip in the car without seat belts.
I'm still here , unscathed.
But saying as the other poster said " it didn't do me any harm " maybe correct but its a bit like beating a child , smoking / drinking whilst pregnant, drink driving etc
But we are a bit more educated in the rights and wrongs and health and safety now a days. Only the driver and the passenger can decide what's best for them. If its a child passenger , then i say seatbelt , all the way.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not personally in motorhomes . But lots in cars. We all know of Diana and Dodi.

That's my point, we are talking about vans, everyone knows about accidents in cars but has anyone actually heard of one in a van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back