Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi,We are off to chatsworth house cc site has anybody been ? is a car required ? how is public transport locally ,:RollEyes:will it rain can anyone advise ,is it suitable for bikes as we have got 2 folding bikes which we bought and have never yet used as tina has no sense of balance at all :Doh:I didnt know this when I bought them .thanks guys:thumb:

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,We are off to chatsworth house cc site has anybody been ? is a car required ? how is public transport locally ,:RollEyes:will it rain can anyone advise ,is it suitable for bikes as we have got 2 folding bikes which we bought and have never yet used as tina has no sense of balance at all :Doh:I didnt know this when I bought them .thanks guys:thumb:

Easy access to CHATSWORTH House from site for walking or cycling. No idea about public transport. Excellent site but entrance to site has the dreaded speed humps which caught the bottom of our motor home which is a Bessacarr 725 which has put us off going back there rather. However I think we may have been towing our car on a trailer at the time cant quite remember!

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Chatsworth is lovely. The entrance to Chatsworth's grounds/house is quite a distance from the Caravan Club site BUT.....at the back of the site is a 'secret doorway' into the grounds. The site is situated in what used to be the walled garden of the estate. The wardens put a key to this door on you pitch's keyfob.

The front entrance of the CC site is on a main road so I assume buses are not a problem. (We didn't use buses, just the van. Bikes will get you around the village and local area). We found the staff at the estate were really friendly and helpful. There is a farm shop nearby that I couldn't resist, which is unusual as I usually find them to be a bit 'faddy' and always expensive. We returned for another ofctheir pork pies to bring home with us.

Have a nice time.:thumb:

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

kaybee

Free Member
Apr 3, 2012
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2012
Been several times and it is lovely. Access to estate on foot or by bike no problem at all as already explained through secret door. Depends how long you are staying whether you need the car. I like to do everything the area has to offer and public transport is sparse. Whatever you decide I'm sure you will love it. You will be lucky if it doesn't rain.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Well now the secret is out we might as well brick up the door:RollEyes:
As for rain yes between 2.15 and 3 .45 every second thursday:thumb:
G

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We were lucky to get three nights there in November last year. It is always heavily booked and difficult to get into, especially when it gets closer to November/December and the Christmas craft shows are on at Chatsworth House.
It's about a 15 minute walk from the site into Baslow. Several lovely little (expensive) shops for the ladies and a couple of hotels, plus a restaurant which was very pricey.
We got the bus into Bakewell from Baslow, only a 10 minute journey and well worth it because Bakewell is a lovely little town with a river flowing through it.
You can stand and watch all the ducks near the weir, which is really pleasant if the weather is ok.
You will have several choices of great foodie shops and bakeries to try the Bakewell tarts and other delights:thumb:
As others have said you will get a key to take you through the "magic" door into the grounds of the estate. You can go that way if wanting to walk into Baslow, however, we found it was slightly quicker just to walk down the entrance road from the CC site and into town.
Enjoy yourselves, we enjoyed it last year and hope to go back:thumb:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We have been trying to book Chatsworth site for years without any success.Every time we have fallen foul of the block bookers who foul up the whole system because,unlike the camping club they don't have to lay down a deposit. I hope the new system the Club are introducing starts to deter them,but as its not an instant sanction only time will tell.
Why they couldn't have a simple deposit system instead of this long protracted scheme,which has all the makings of being devised by a bureaucrat.
Any way rant over have a great time. The Chatsworth estates shops maybe expensive but the produce is second to none especially the meat products.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We have been trying to book Chatsworth site for years without any success.Every time we have fallen foul of the block bookers who foul up the whole system because,unlike the camping club they don't have to lay down a deposit. I hope the new system the Club are introducing starts to deter them,but as its not an instant sanction only time will tell.
Why they couldn't have a simple deposit system instead of this long protracted scheme,which has all the makings of being devised by a bureaucrat.
Any way rant over have a great time. The Chatsworth estates shops maybe expensive but the produce is second to none especially the meat products.

We had similar problems last year when we tried to extend our three night stay at Chatsworth. We kept checking the CC website for spaces and also asking the staff at the wardens' office, but were told that they were booked up solidly:Sad:
On the morning we were leaving we checked the CC website five minutes before checking out and also asked the warden just to make sure. We were told firmly, no sorry, we're fully booked up.
So imagine how annoyed we felt when barely half an hour later, we checked the CC website when on the move and noticed that there were now free spaces!:Angry:
Down to bad timing or not, who knows, but there was a similar thread with rants from CC members on their website. Lots of very unhappy members indeed.
It appears that people "block book" in the knowledge that they can cancel if they change their minds.
But surely it would be fairer for all if deposits were taken up front? Then those that were serious about keeping the bookings would get the spaces:Angry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Sorry, I forgot to mention, that apart from the bus into Bakewell from Baslow, you can also get the bus to Buxton. It takes longer to Buxton than the 10 minutes into Bakewell, not sure how much longer, but at least you don't have the worry of parking when you get there:thumb:

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
my god parents used to work at chatsworth, got a private guided tour to places the publiuc never see, prob more intersting than the bit the public see.

have no idea as to buses sorry

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011

Hi Mike,
Sitting here doing nothing much :RollEyes: I "Googled" buses for Derbyshire area. Here's the link, it might be of some help (I'd need me glasses on to read it though)::bigsmile:
http://www.derbysbus.info/times/tt_201_999.htm

Good luck!
Margaret::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back