Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
I'm getting ready to take delivery of our new MH a Bailey 625.
Reading the user manual online, I find it says in "Preparing for the road" section (page 22):
Ensure that the toilet flush tank only
contains a small amount of water (1-2
litres) in order to minimise the risk of
leaks or spillage whilst the vehicle is in
motion.
Up to now I've always just filled the thing up.
What do other people do?

Gordon

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Hi,
I'm getting ready to take delivery of our new MH a Bailey 625.
Reading the user manual online, I find it says in "Preparing for the road" section (page 22):
Ensure that the toilet flush tank only
contains a small amount of water (1-2
litres) in order to minimise the risk of
leaks or spillage whilst the vehicle is in
motion.
Up to now I've always just filled the thing up.
What do other people do?

Gordon

Take the MH back and complain that it's not of merchantable quality? Never heard such nonsense before! :roflmto:

Is this the Bailey user manual or the Thetford one (assuming it's a Thetford cassette)?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
There was a similar warning with our Autoquest but we never had a problem. [HI]It's probably somebody just covering his backside in case a leak does occur [/HI]:Smile:

Sounds revolting!

OP
OP
SomeoneElse
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011

Teepee

Free Member
Oct 14, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
1 year
If I was you don't put pink flush in the tank, for some unknown reason it furs up and when you flush toilet all black bits come down. Seems to a mould in the flush tank. I had to clean the tank out on many occasion till I realised what was causing it.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
If I was you don't put pink flush in the tank, for some unknown reason it furs up and when you flush toilet all black bits come down. Seems to a mould in the flush tank. I had to clean the tank out on many occasion till I realised what was causing it.

Like you, we were also getting the black stuff coming down:Angry: We thought it was because we were getting towards the end of the flush water and just needing to fill it up again.
However, we now just add some disinfectant in the tank and we no longer get the black stuff. We were told that biological laundry liquid does the trick as well and is a lot cheaper than other products.

I noticed Elsan bowl cleaner advertised in the CC magazine recently as well, but these are all quite expensive and I'm assuming that concentrated disinfectant will do the job as well::bigsmile:

Can anyone suggest a product for cleaning the plastic washbasin? I usually just use a Flash bathroom spray and a damp cloth?

Last edited:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Like you, we were also getting the black stuff coming down:Angry: We thought it was because we were getting towards the end of the flush water and just needing to fill it up again.
However, we now just add some disinfectant in the tank and we no longer get the black stuff. We were told that biological laundry liquid does the trick as well and is a lot cheaper than other products.

I noticed Elsan bowl cleaner advertised in the CC magazine recently as well, but these are all quite expensive and I'm assuming that concentrated disinfectant will do the job as well::bigsmile:

Can anyone suggest a product for cleaning the plastic washbasin? I usually just use a Flash bathroom and a damp cloth?

I generally use a spray mr muscle to clean all my plastics such as the sinks and the loo, as it seems to do the trick quite nicely:thumb:

However, after chatting to the Thetford rep at the weekend, he said defo not to use it in the loo, as it would effect the cassette seal, so now I use a very watered down Thetford bowl cleaner, or simply plain water:thumb:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
depending on what cassette toilet you have the flush tanks can leak in different places if too full, the swivel type toilets can leak around the top panel where either the manual plunger is or the flush button for the electric flush version these panels are only held in place with a couple of screws and a bead of non setting mastic which is often not sealed properly allowing a leak around that panel, the bench type can leak around where the toilet roll holder is, this just clips into place and removes to allow access to the pump.

Aaronn

Free Member
Apr 2, 2013
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Bailey 760
Exp
I've a 760 and I believe it's the same Thetford I just fill mine up until its overflowing close it up and drive on. No problems to report!!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

Can anyone suggest a product for cleaning the plastic washbasin? I usually just use a Flash bathroom spray and a damp cloth?

And remember to polish sink and loo bowl with autoglym ::bigsmile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We clean the washroom (shower, sink and washbasin) with bathroom wipes (e.g. Parazone or Mr Muscle) after each trip. The cassette is washed out with a hose jet (not a pressure hose) and re-primed with bio washing liquid after each trip. Once or twice a year I take off the cassette lid to remove the seal, clean it and inside and lubricate the seal with olive oil.

Whether that's right or not I don't know - but neither do I care as it works for me ::bigsmile:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
And remember to polish sink and loo bowl with autoglym ::bigsmile:

Thanks for this, I would never have thought about using Auto Glym for the basin or the toilet bowl. The basin I am cleaning with Flash bathroom spray, but it always looks dull after it, but I assume this is down to the plastic. Will try the Auto Glym next ::bigsmile:
Margaret

Last edited:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We clean the washroom (shower, sink and washbasin) with bathroom wipes (e.g. Parazone or Mr Muscle) after each trip. The cassette is washed out with a hose jet (not a pressure hose) and re-primed with bio washing liquid after each trip. Once or twice a year I take off the cassette lid to remove the seal, clean it and inside and lubricate the seal with olive oil.

Whether that's right or not I don't know - but neither do I care as it works for me ::bigsmile:

Hi Graham,
Thanks for this, I keep to the wash basin, shower tray, toilet bowl etc as regards to the cleaning, (I want it done properly :winky:) ...........the cassette is strictly hubby's department, he's had plenty of practice as we have a septic tank at home:Blush: So it seems only fitting that he continues this practice:roflmto:
We find the bio liquid works well too.

It's funny how you always see men walking to and from the disposal area with the little cassettes in hand:thumb:
Margaret

The wizened of OZ

Free Member
Jan 20, 2012
Brisbane Australia
Funster No
MH
C Class Bailey 745 SE
Exp
Newbie to U.K. Extensive in Oz.
Tank

I fill my tank up at all times as we are constantly travelling and wild camping. No problems so far. Have had the bailey since May 2012.:winky:

OP
OP
SomeoneElse
Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
Thank you all for your comments, Linda thinks I should be certified as reading the manual is something I've never done before. It looks like you folks out there just stow the manual for future reference and get on with it.

However having started with the manual I looked at all references to the flush water tank.
Firstly Its mentioned the the specification of the Mass in Running Order, which includes a full flush tank. The question of course is what is MRO? I would have expected it to be a condition ready to take the MH on the road.
Secondly was the reference I quoted in the OP, only fill with one to two litres.
Finally in the toilet section, this I suspect is taken from the makers
manual, says "please make sure that you do not travel
with a flush-water tank that is too full". Now that sounds sensible, but how full is too full.

So there we have it three conflicting references in the manual, making the manual next to useless. We will get on and enjoy our new MH with a good bit of water in the flush tank. What's the point of traveling with your own facilities if they aren't in a condition to be used:cry:

Gordon

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
Another point worth mentioning about the swivel type toilets with the built in flush tank is that if the seal is damaged between the external fill point and the toilet tank whilst fitting and you fill the tank to the brim it can leak at this point,( it is basically two tubes ,one fitting inside the other and relying on an O ring for the seal) first you will know is when the wall or floor in toilet area becomes soft, at this point you are talking lots of money to put things right. we used to have a couple of litres in the tank and filled when on site, if wilding just take a two gallon jerry can and top up tank as needed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back