Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In my trip back from oxford yesterday it was extremely windy, a couple of times we were blown sideways by at least half a lane. We were OK but we saw two trashed caravans. One on the A34 the other on the M4, both caravans were on their sides, both detached from their tow cars, one of which had rolled as well, and both it seems no other car was involved.

A couple of bank holidays ruined:Sad:

Don't know what caused these as i missed the actual accidents, but I have witnessed a couple of similar accidents caused by towing much too fast.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We came back home yesterday from Bridlington via Filey, Scarborough and Whitby. Even in our van, which is low compared to many, we were being blown a fair bot on the tops. Hope nobody was hurt in any of those incidents.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
For having witnessed such an accident (well this one didn't actually finished trashed)I can tell how it starts.

I was a teenager and we were going to Spain together with German friends.
It was really windy and our friends were preceeding us on the motorway, when all of a sudden the weight of the caravan with the speed (about 100kms/hour) made it go from side to side, nearly forming an angle with the car .
The strengh and calm of the driver made the whole difference .
He managed to keep it back to normal .
No car was involved as all the people saw the caravan going mad. So everyone just braked to leave as much as possible room

When we all managed to stop on an aire HE went out of his car , all shaking.
Probably his worst experience!

Towing should need a special licence in my opinion!

Amicalement

Frankie :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the general advise from many sources is to slow down.
You may still get blown over but the danger will be far less as you will have more reaction time.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the laws are quite alright .its the drivers that need to think more .
bit like the m,home drivers that overload etc.
new laws dont stop idiots .

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
The number of times we have pulled back from a caravan snaking through excessive speed, we drop back until the caravan is bought under control, mix that with wind and it's no wonder they go over.

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
the general advise from many sources is to slow down.
You may still get blown over but the danger will be far less as you will have more reaction time.

I agree with what you say John...But in heavy winds.. for us silver surfers / old far*s..... because we are not in a rush::bigsmile:...... best thing to do is park up and face nose into the wind...brew up .....and wait till it calms down:thumb::thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
In my trip back from oxford yesterday it was extremely windy, a couple of times we were blown sideways by at least half a lane. We were OK but we saw two trashed caravans. One on the A34 the other on the M4, both caravans were on their sides, both detached from their tow cars, one of which had rolled as well, and both it seems no other car was involved.

A couple of bank holidays ruined:Sad:

Don't know what caused these as i missed the actual accidents, but I have witnessed a couple of similar accidents caused by towing much too fast.

In my younger days I dealt with the aftermath all too often of caravanners towing too fast.

The drivers just dont realise the consequences or why the 50mph speed limit is set.

They lose thousands of pounds when their caravan is totalled but worst of all is they all usually have children with them who are devastated and in tears because the holiday is over before its begun.

Even with all the new fangled gadgets on the market, they still tend to push the speed limit. It only takes a straying deer, or a side wind to total their holiday home, but still we see them on the motorway, exceeding the speed limit and taking chances on occasions that we wouldnt even attempt in a car.

Toffs-G

Free Member
Sep 16, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SPB
Exp
September 2009
When we drove down to Lake Garda in the RV we were doing 60mph and a guy in a BMW X5 towing a huge caravan came Flying past us at what must have been 70mph or so and it was wet. Three kids on board etc absolute madness:Angry:

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
we almost bought a caravan, had found the van, agreed a price then went home to consider things before paying up and in the next week we saw 2 caravans being blown over on the A9 so phoned the dealer and said thanks but changed our mind and bought a MH and have to agree with what's been said already it is normally the driver that is a fault and speed plays a large part.

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time
Also gets my goat when people get killed on so called "dangerous roads" and people pipe up and want something doing about the said stretch of the so called "dangerous road"
well I have never seen a road kill anyone, they are just pieces of tarmac and such laying there minding their own business,
there is no such thing as a dangerous road, only dangerous drivers

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I pulled onto the Bridlington road yesterday in my car behind a caravan, caught up to him and then thought hang on a minute going a bit fast, checked speedo and we were both doing 70! What an idiot!

JohnH

Free Member
Jan 5, 2009
Southport
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
+14
Not always caravaners that get into problems towing. I followed a large motorhome towing a VW Polo on the Great Ocean Highway in Victoria, Australia. I was in a Nissan Micra and could not keep up with him. The road is unbelievably twisting and I saw the car being towed start to snake and then it went and took his van onto it's side leaning against a tree.
With ropes and a load of others from following traffic we pulled the van upright but the car and trailer were wrecked.
Simply to fast for the road

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Scariest moment I ever had towing a caravan, just come back from France via Portsmouth and going up the A3 Behind a string of HGV's, we crested this brow and I pulled out to overtake a couple of trucks in front of me, they started to take advantage of the drop and were accelerating so fast I couldn't overtake them easily, I attempted to pull back in but the following trucks had all closed up leaving me nowhere to go, I had no option than to boot it and found myself quickly approaching 80 before I could get back in the inner lane, boy was my bum twitching:Eeek:

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Scariest moment I ever had towing a caravan, just come back from France via Portsmouth and going up the A3 Behind a string of HGV's, we crested this brow and I pulled out to overtake a couple of trucks in front of me, they started to take advantage of the drop and were accelerating so fast I couldn't overtake them easily, I attempted to pull back in but the following trucks had all closed up leaving me nowhere to go, I had no option than to boot it and found myself quickly approaching 80 before I could get back in the inner lane, boy was my bum twitching:Eeek:

Scary, but possibly not as dangerous as it may seem. Back in our caravanning days it seemed that every man and his dog knew that you had to *accelerate* to stop a snake.

On one or two occasions with gentle snakes when I tried it it did seem to work but it takes a lot of nerve! I wouldn't recommend it though.

I'm guessing someone somewhere must have done the research and have a definitive answer but it seems to be a topic which brings out many opinions but few facts.

Tim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back