PLG versus PHGV (1 Viewer)

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Winne is, and presumable always has been registered PLG, no weight in the log book, so.

We're not looking to change her weight from that on the paperwork/chassis plate just correct the tax class so what do I need to do?

I phoned DVLA and after what seemed like correct info from them the bod started wittering about a VOSA certificate of weight, ie take her to VOSA to weigh, that doesn't make any sence at all, we're talking GVW (MAM) here not what she weighs at any given time.

What do you know?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Because my registration document and vehicle plate were different DVLA needed verification of the weight of my last RV a Hurricane to correct.
I emailed the manufacturer Four Winds with the vin no and they sent me a detailed document for the specific RV. That satisfied DVLA
Larry

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Winne is, and presumable always has been registered PLG, no weight in the log book, so.

We're not looking to change her weight from that on the paperwork/chassis plate just correct the tax class so what do I need to do?

I phoned DVLA and after what seemed like correct info from them the bod started wittering about a VOSA certificate of weight, ie take her to VOSA to weigh, that doesn't make any sence at all, we're talking GVW (MAM) here not what she weighs at any given time.

What do you know?
Hi Dodgey,

DVLA wanted me to take the MH to my local office for them to check, as the taxation class was clearly wrong. Because there was nowhere to park it without incurring two lots of charges, I asked the local chap to come to the house, and have a brew and a biscuit whilst he che3cked the MH out. He jumped at the chance to get out of the office, and sorted it all for me.

I not only qualified for the lower RFL revenue classification (PHGV), buy I also got a refund of the excess RFL revenue charges from previous renewals. Result. :thumb:

If it says "Motor Caravan" on your V5, then you don't have to go through VOSA, as you are exempt the HGV regulations referred to, by "the bod" on the phone.

If you do go over to PHGV (£165 PA), your details will have changed on the DVLA database, and you will have to be aware of the lower speeds that will apply to your RV from then on, so as to avoid having your roadside holiday snap taken. :roflmto:

Mind you, judging by the number of Local Authorities that are no longer maintaining the cameras, a complimentary photo shoot might be a rareity these days. :winky:

HTH,

Jock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Thanks Jock, I was pretty confident the bod was confused.

Yes motorcaravan and I realised last year that 'we' should be abiding by different speed limits, which by choice we generally did anyway, the old we're in the van what's the rush, mind you we did tramp on a bit for Carmathen last year, which was just before I found out about the limits:Eeek:

Did you have to book an appointment or just turn up?

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Did you have to book an appointment or just turn up?
Hi Dodgey,

Yes, I phoned them and made the appointment. Our local office is in a city centre, so I wasn't keen to take the MH there, hence the clerks agreeance to visit me.
You'll have to use 0870 numbers, unless you check out an alternative here, which I did. Say No to 0870

Cheers,

Jock.

timhowarduk

Free Member
May 27, 2013
Carlisle, UK
Funster No
MH
Fire Engine conversion
Exp
Please excuse me bumping a very old thread, but I have a similar but even more surreal set of circumstances.

We have a Scania 82m fire engine, which has have the fire engine body removed and a prison box put on the back instead. The box is converted to a motor caravan.
The previous owner didn't tell DVLA he put the box on the back.

The V5 had it as tax class PLG , body type Fire Engine, Colour Red. According to the weighbridge it is 7.8t unloaded and obviously will weigh more once loaded and fully converted.

We wrote to DVLA enclosing photo's of the beast and the conversion asking them to change the body type to Motor Caravan and the colour to Yellow / Black

Got reply back saying it couldn't be identified externally as a motor caravan and the only body type available to them is "Truck" and they would issue a V5 saying this.

Now the fun starts, the V5 they issued STILL has it as a Red, PLG, Fire Engine.

We had got a class IV MOT done and purchased PLG tax in anticipation of DVLA reclassifying as Motor Caravan. Whether the vehicle is currently road legal is bending my head in knots. The V5 tax class, MOT and tax disk all match, but the colour is wrong and the body type is wrong. However if stopped I have the defence that we did try to tell them....!

I'm trying to decide whether to continue the "Motor Caravan" fight or just ask them to reclassify it as a PHGV with body type Truck. The final bit of fun is that it has never before had a tacho fitted as Fire Engines are exempt, and as it would be Truck not motor caravan I think we'd need to get one fitted.

Presumably if we do get PHGV we would immediately need a class VII MOT and need to get a new tax disk, and send off the old one.

If you followed that lot, well done! If you have any advice, I'm most interested. They couldn't make this much harder if they tried, though I have to admit this vehicle doesn't neatly fit into any "box" very well!

thanks
Tim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
with correct photos showing inside outside and reg number it should be able to re class as motor caravan .
that would be class4 mot . but always hgv tax private is ideal.
have you c licence ?or a newer c1 license?
it maybe easier to visit the local dvla office if you can or they may send out an examiner. it really all needs sorting . be patient its hard sometimes .
these days they do like the outside to have decals etc that make it look like a camper .
put them on .then remove them is the way.
it must be converted inside to a camper, bed ,cooker table etc .

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you may have serious problems getting it changed to motor caravan.

DVLA recently changed the criteria and now it must LOOK like a motor home from the outside, not like a chassis with a square box on it, as well as having the required indoors equipment...water supply, bed, table etc.
Things like rear ladder, bike rack, heki roof lights, vinyl graphics etc may go a long way to convincing them.

As far as I know fire engines are MOT and tax exempt when in service which may explain the wrong tax class and weight.

I hope you hold a C category licence....at 7.8ton unladen it is going to be maybe 10tons or more gross....and a C1 licence won't cover it
Even the new C1 is up to 7.5ton gross

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
pappa . yes i,m wrong . c would be the one .
i was carried away in a dream . ha ha

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we all can and do make mistakes . i dont mind admitting mine .
i try not to make them though .
bit like now must get in contact with our dvla office down here they were going to be closed soon . dont know if they are still open . hope so .they were very helpful on these things . inspections etc . prompt and helpful what more could you ask.
get out of touch being away so long . havent quite got back in the swing so to speak.
too blooming cold and wet .ha ha .

timhowarduk

Free Member
May 27, 2013
Carlisle, UK
Funster No
MH
Fire Engine conversion
Exp
Thanks for reply.
Yes I have C license. Yes we took photos of all of it inside and out already to local DVLA office who told us it should be fine, and in fact they sent it all off to Swansea. Even photo of VIN stamped on chassis! It has all the requirements to be a motor caravan. I think making an appointment to have them inspect it is the route forwards.

timhowarduk

Free Member
May 27, 2013
Carlisle, UK
Funster No
MH
Fire Engine conversion
Exp
you may have serious problems getting it changed to motor caravan.

DVLA recently changed the criteria and now it must LOOK like a motor home from the outside, not like a chassis with a square box on it, as well as having the required indoors equipment...water supply, bed, table etc.
Things like rear ladder, bike rack, heki roof lights, vinyl graphics etc may go a long way to convincing them.

Thanks for this information, and this concurs with the letter we got back saying that it doesn't externally look like a motor caravan.

At the moment I can't see many reasons to keep pursuing Motor Caravan.
It feels like I should bite bullet, get tacho fitted, and just run it as a PHGV. Presumably no operator license is required for private not hire/reward use?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
no operators . but better as a m,home . easier for using in countries outside eu. plus you can getr insurance for m,homes . private hgv can be awkward .specialy if you do want to go to other countries .
put graphics on then take em off . stealth is best . get a visit or go to them .you might have to make an appointment but it should be easy .

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Another case of double standards from the DVLA remember my fight with them, even despite looking like a recovery truck its a flat bed lorry to them, Ar**oles the lot of em and as often stated Not Fit For Purpose

Attachments

• 20130425_135006.jpg
    20130425_135006.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 16

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
it does look like that . i can only imagine that at 3,500kg gvw its not eligable for mot exemption . if that was geo,s problem with them .
the single rear wheel axle could tell maybe .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back