New Hobby owners (1 Viewer)

Jan 1, 2013
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu 640
Exp
since May 2013
We are the proud new owners of a Hobby 750ELC. We collected our van on Friday and even the queues on the M25 didn't spoil the day! The worst moment was trying to get the bank to 'allow' us to spend our own money. I appreciate the need for security measures, but the questions I was asked were astoundingly ridiculous. They blocked my debit card and it was touch and go as to whether their fraud dept would reinstate it because I couldn't tell them the exact year we opened our 1st account with them or exactly where we bought diesel from in April!!All this despite going into our local branch earlier in the week to ensure they were aware of the pending transaction and arming ourselves with our most recent bank statement as advised by the local branch. A lesson well learned, it would be a bankers draft in the future!:Eeek:

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
That was a very unfortunate experience for you. We paid for our new van, albeit probably quite a bit less than a Hobby, but it went straight through with no problems. We are with Barclays but I have heard of several others having the same problem too. Have fun in your new van ::bigsmile:

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
well you made it in the end .no more sleepless nights pondering if you have done the right move.
bankers draft is no more safe,as this could be cancelled.
I had one made out and could not take van away until it cleared took half a day me trudging to bank with seller.
Have some good fun now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Sounds familiar....

A couple of days before I bought our Helga I telephoned the bank to check it would be alright to make such a large purchase on a debit card in the normal manner. They assured me it would, and told me that they would probably refer the matter to their 'security centre' on the day to ask the relevant questions. I was told that the 'date of account opening' was the question that most folks couldn't remember, and advised what my date was.

At the dealer the transaction went through without a hitch. Imagine my surprise then when I called at a nearby garage to fill with diesel and my card was declined!! Thankfully there was an ATM at the garage so I could withdraw the cash to pay the fuel bill. On getting home a visit to the supermarket had the same result - card declined and I had to pay cash.

When I contacted the bank they told me that there is a limit for card transactions each day, like cash withdrawals at ATM's, which the MH purchase had exceeded.

I found it a bit odd that although the MH purchase exceeded the limit, that transaction was allowed, but further transactions were blocked, though ATM withdrawals were still allowed, up to my daily limit! The following day my card was unblocked so to speak and normal service resumed!

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
My experience was similar except the bank did warn me that the card would not be able to be used for the rest of that day (we just used credit card for fuel that day).

Have to say my bank were very good about the whole affair (First Direct).

Still, you have the van now..............enjoy ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have found when paying out largish sums, that a credit card does the business as long as your credit limit is high enough. The credit card companies are usually keen to increase it anyway. Doesn't cost anything if you pay it off before the due date.
That said, the last car I bought (20k plus) was just on the debit card (Natwest) and no problem.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We are the proud new owners of a Hobby 750ELC. We collected our van on Friday and even the queues on the M25 didn't spoil the day! The worst moment was trying to get the bank to 'allow' us to spend our own money. I appreciate the need for security measures, but the questions I was asked were astoundingly ridiculous. They blocked my debit card and it was touch and go as to whether their fraud dept would reinstate it because I couldn't tell them the exact year we opened our 1st account with them or exactly where we bought diesel from in April!!All this despite going into our local branch earlier in the week to ensure they were aware of the pending transaction and arming ourselves with our most recent bank statement as advised by the local branch. A lesson well learned, it would be a bankers draft in the future!:Eeek:

We had the same problem twice with Nat West, and both times it was for a MH. Unlucky or what? The bulk of our money is not with that bank now.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
We had a similar experience when we bought our Hymer. We contacted the bank and arranged the transfer of funds.They told us that when we come to buy the van ring a number they gave us and ask for the large sums team. Guess what at the dealers we asked for the team and were met with 'who? That team was disbanded a year ago',we were starting to panic as it was 5pm and the dealers was closing even worse the bank were closing at 6 p.m. So I put my wife onto the phone in full Margot* mode,even then it took 30 minutes for the pin to be accepted. Best part was my wife told them to stay on the line while we were inputting the pin.

*Link Removed)

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
We are the proud new owners of a Hobby 750ELC. We collected our van on Friday and even the queues on the M25 didn't spoil the day!

Congrats from a fellow Hobby owner. :Smile:

Is this the one you mentioned previously with the 'holes'? If so, what did the dealer do about them?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back