LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Rotherham South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi, Mike has to have the medical so he can continue to drive our 3.750 motorhome.

My question is, as we are not due back from Spain until 6 June and his 70th is on the 11June, can he still continue to drive the motorhome/car, after the 11th if he has already sent off all the forms etc on the 10th, which is when he is having the medical??

He has not 'lost' his licence and the DVLA knows he has a licence so we are just not sure if he can still drive.

Ginny and Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
might be worth a call to drivers medicals on 03007906870.
i would say not really as the licence is cancelled at age 70 .but there may be a period of grace.
or try 0300 790 6801 for licence questions.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I would also think.. NO..
The license (new) has not been issued and the old entitlement has ceased so legally not entitled to drive in that catagory..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Hi, Mike has to have the medical so he can continue to drive our 3.750 motorhome.

My question is, as we are not due back from Spain until 6 June and his 70th is on the 11June, can he still continue to drive the motorhome/car, after the 11th if he has already sent off all the forms etc on the 10th, which is when he is having the medical??

He has not 'lost' his licence and the DVLA knows he has a licence so we are just not sure if he can still drive.

Ginny and Mike

Hi Ginny,
I have done this twice.
Mikes license runs out on the day he is 70 after that he won't have a license until they reissue a new one. Sending off the forms does not say he will be accepted and have the C1 category reinstated, so that's a no-no to drive the MH until he receives the new one.

If he drives the van he will be driving without a license that covers that vehicle, not good if stopped. In the same way that a driver cannot drive a 7.5t lorry without the correct HGV license.

Having the medical does not automatically qualify him to get the license with the C1 included, do you know what the medical involves? It may involve doing a treadmill test for 9 mins., can he run for that long if that is part of the medical?

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Another problem is no valid licence = no insurance cover.

My own driver medical was 14 weeks before my renewal date, my new licence arrived with about 5 days to spare, and that included me e-mailing DVLA to progress matters.

Finally, they contacted me to ask me to expedite my GP as he had not responded to a question they had asked, in writing, they said. When I followed this up, I was given the date they had responded and offered a copy of the letter. When I relayed this to DVLA, they said they would investigate, and I was told not to contact them again....the cheek of it.

Good luck, but I think you will be unlicensed for a period of time, and also uninsured, not only for your m/h but other vehicles under 3500kg.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Another problem is no valid licence = no insurance cover.

My own driver medical was 14 weeks before my renewal date, my new licence arrived with about 5 days to spare, and that included me e-mailing DVLA to progress matters.

Finally, they contacted me to ask me to expedite my GP as he had not responded to a question they had asked, in writing, they said. When I followed this up, I was given the date they had responded and offered a copy of the letter. When I relayed this to DVLA, they said they would investigate, and I was told not to contact them again....the cheek of it.

Good luck, but I think you will be unlicensed for a period of time, and also uninsured, not only for your m/h but other vehicles under 3500kg.

The problem arose because we went to Spain at the end of February and wont be home until June, I am sure the letter and form from the DVLA is waiting for us at home, but we will just have to wait. We did consider coming home early, but the weather is too good!!!

What sort of things did they want you to do at the Medical? Mike had his eyes tested in February, so no problem there. I think I will have to have a look at the form online and see what is involved.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
Medical at 70

Having to go on a treadmill at 70 is a new one on me. From 65 I have had to have an HGV medical every year for my class 1 and will be renewing it again later this year which is in addition to my C1 which runs for 3 years after 70. For some people it's a worrying time but as long as you feel reasonably healthy then go for it.
Good Luck.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Ginny,
I have done this twice.
Mikes license runs out on the day he is 70 after that he won't have a license until they reissue a new one. Sending off the forms does not say he will be accepted and have the C1 category reinstated, so that's a no-no to drive the MH until he receives the new one.

If he drives the van he will be driving without a license that covers that vehicle, not good if stopped. In the same way that a driver cannot drive a 7.5t lorry without the correct HGV license.

Having the medical does not automatically qualify him to get the license with the C1 included, do you know what the medical involves? It may involve doing a treadmill test for 9 mins., can he run for that long if that is part of the medical?

Hi again Keith , hope you two are well.##

I must admit that we did not think he would have to have a treadmill test!!

We will have to park the motorhome until the licence comes back, I would be able to drive it that is for sure!

Ginny

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Having to go on a treadmill at 70 is a new one on me. From 65 I have had to have an HGV medical every year for my class 1 and will be renewing it again later this year which is in addition to my C1 which runs for 3 years after 70. For some people it's a worrying time but as long as you feel reasonably healthy then go for it.
Good Luck.

I know of 2 people who have had to do it and failed. :Eeek:

I don't know for a fact but understand that the reason they ask you to do a treadmill is if you have had a history of heart problems.

The medical for the over 70 who wish to keep their C1 license is the same form as the HGV drivers have to complete.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
I know of 2 people who have had to do it and failed. :Eeek:

I don't know for a fact but understand that the reason they ask you to do a treadmill is if you have had a history of heart problems.

The medical for the over 70 who wish to keep their C1 license is the same form as the HGV drivers have to complete.

Mike has never had heart problems, but he does have COPD, should he declare this and take his repeat prescription to the test centre to show what medication he is currently using?

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Mike has never had heart problems, but he does have COPD, should he declare this and take his repeat prescription to the test centre to show what medication he is currently using?

You need to contact DVLA and get form C2 for renewal of C1 licence and D4 Medical Report form. This is on top of the normal renewal form that DVLA will have sent out 56 days before your category B licence is due for renewal at 70. If your vehicle is under 3500kg you can renew online without the medical. C1 cannot be renewed online.

Your existing licence expires at midnight on the morning of your birthday.

We came back early from Spain in March for a late May renewal, to sort all of this out. I had eye test at opticians and it took a month to get the medical with my own doctor (Private appointment needed). I sent my stuff off 20th April. Still no licence and I expect it (as the form says) to take 3 weeks minimum. That is with no refer backs.

If you have the medical with another doctor, DVLA have to check your history with your own doctor. It may be cheaper to go elsewhere but not when it is time critical.

Yes, you will need details of any prescriptions on the D4 form. The form list conditions that have to be notified. DVLA can provide a letter confirming that you are not disqualified from holding a licence even if you do not have the new one in your possession. This works for the UK but not out of it.

Condensed from the DVLA renewal form. Renewal of Licence at 70.
Once DVLA have received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:
1. have held a full licence issued after 1 January 1976 2. you are not disqualified. 3. you have not been refused a licence for medical reasons. 4. you would not be refused a licence on medical grounds 5. you keep any special conditions that applied to your lapsing licence.

John

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
What sort of things did they want you to do at the Medical? Mike had his eyes tested in February, so no problem there. I think I will have to have a look at the form online and see what is involved.

My medical was a full medical examination, close attention to flexibility of all leg joints. I was also weighed and measured, and then a sight test.

DVLA got a little excited over my open heart surgery I had 50 years ago, but it had to be declared for the first time, this time, and again in three years time.

No tread mills.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
You need to contact DVLA and get form C2 for renewal of C1 licence and D4 Medical Report form. This is on top of the normal renewal form that DVLA will have sent out 56 days before your category B licence is due for renewal at 70. If your vehicle is under 3500kg you can renew online without the medical. C1 cannot be renewed online.

We came back early from Spain in March for a late May renewal, to sort all of this out. I had eye test at opticians and it took a month to get the medical with my own doctor (Private appointment needed). I sent my stuff off 20th April. Still no licence and I expect it (as the form says) to take 3 weeks minimum. That is with no refer backs.

If you have the medical with another doctor, DVLA have to check your history with your own doctor. It may be cheaper to go elsewhere but not when it is time critical.

Yes, you will need details of any prescriptions on the D4 form. The form list conditions that have to be notified. DVLA can provide a letter confirming that you are not disqualified from holding a licence even if you do not have the new one in your possession. This works for the UK but not out of it.

Once DVLA have received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you:
1. have held a full licence issued after 1 January 1976 2. you are not disqualified. 3. you have not been refused a licence for medical reasons. 4. you would not be refused a licence on medical grounds 5. you keep any special conditions that applied to your lapsing licence.

John

Thank you John for your very full and informative post.

We had decided to go to one of the clinics and pay £ 58 but as you say, if it is time critical we would be better off going to our Doctor who charges £90. There is no point in going to a clinic who then have to refer to our Doctor before we can be issued with the license.

I think we will ask our daughter to make an appointment for the day after we return then we can get it sorted out properly.

Thanks again for your help.

Ginny and Mike

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005

John

Thanks John, I must admit I concentrated on getting the medical D4 form printed, but did not realise I needed another form before I could send everything off.

The DVLA site does not have the 2nd form, is this the C2 form? the site is very confusing some forms can be printed and others not. I don't know if we can get one from the Post office, but I bet we can't. We will just have to wait now until we get home on Thursday.

Ginny

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

You cannot do the treadmill with COPD, if they insist then you have to do the gamma ray scan (radioactive) and long waiting list, I had all this palaver 3 years ago because I had stents in my groin for leg circulation, nothing to do with my heart but they still made me do it. Costs DVLA a small fortune to do one, costs me nowt and by looks of it, got to do it all again to renew

Peter

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Thanks John, I must admit I concentrated on getting the medical D4 form printed, but did not realise I needed another form before I could send everything off.

The DVLA site does not have the 2nd form, is this the C2 form? the site is very confusing some forms can be printed and others not. I don't know if we can get one from the Post office, but I bet we can't. We will just have to wait now until we get home on Thursday.

Ginny

Sorry Ginny

I got the form numbers wrong.

As well as the normal form to renew your licence at 70 which DVLA send to you about 56 days before the renewal. You will also need an ‘application for renewal of lorry and bus entitlement’ (D47P) and a ‘medical examination report’ form (D4)

I was calling the D47P form C2

John

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting Post-I will follow this one ::bigsmile:
I'm due my 3rd renewal medical this yr-so far I have found the whole procedure farcical.

For the first medical I contacted my local surgery to book an appointment and was told it would be £130 and only one of our GP's did them.I asked to book an appointment and was told that they would phone me when one was available-after 3 weeks I gave up and went to a private GP surgery for £90 and had the appt on the same day that I rang.

I arrived with the form I had downloaded,but they already had the forms there.
Apart from having to provide a urine sample and have my BP taken,the medical consisted of the Dr asking me questions and ticking boxes with my responses.For the eye test she held up a piece of card on other side of room and asked if I could read it-Job done :ROFLMAO:
Oh-I did have to say what medication I was taking,but,as it's only Blood pressure tabs (very low dose) that was no problem.
I assume DVLA checked with my GP,but I have no knowledge of that.

We are now planning around the fact that I will have to do the whole thing again when the renewal notice arrives in late July/early Aug
Losing my 'Grandfathers rights' by getting it wrong myself is not an option as the cost and inconvenience of rectifying the situation doesn't bear thinking about :Doh:

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Well Mike had his medical yesterday afternoon, no problem and he even managed to talk the Doctor down to £45! The doctor could not complete the eyesight part of the form so we had to go back to the Opticians this morning and talk him into completing that section, and signing and stamping the form.

The D2 form arrived this morning - I ordered it online last week - so we completed it and posted everything this afternoon.

According to the Notes on the D2 form :

Renewing a licence at age 70 or over.

Once we have received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you meet the conditions listed above.

* you have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued after 1 January 1976 or one you can exchange for a full British one
* You are not disqualified from driving
* You have not been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
* You would not be refused a licence for medical reasons (if you are not sure, check with your doctor) and
* You keep to any special conditions which apply to the licence.

So it seems we might be able to come to Stratford with the funsters after all!!!

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Well Mike had his medical yesterday afternoon, no problem and he even managed to talk the Doctor down to £45! The doctor could not complete the eyesight part of the form so we had to go back to the Opticians this morning and talk him into completing that section, and signing and stamping the form.

The D2 form arrived this morning - I ordered it online last week - so we completed it and posted everything this afternoon.

Once we have received your valid application you can drive before you receive your licence as long as you meet the conditions listed above.

* you have held a GB or Northern Ireland licence issued after 1 January 1976 or one you can exchange for a full British one
* You have not been refused a licence for medical reasons or for failing to comply with medical enquiries
* You would not be refused a licence for medical reasons (if you are not sure, check with your doctor) and

So it seems we might be able to come to Stratford with the funsters after all!!!

Good news... Look forward to seeing you..:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

but....does that include driving on the C1 part (over 3500kg) of the licence or just the B part (up to 3500kg) ???

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
but....does that include driving on the C1 part (over 3500kg) of the licence or just the B part (up to 3500kg) ???

Now that is a very good question!!!

Does anyone have a phone number which will allow me to talk to a real person at the DVLA? I spent 10 minutes going round and round the automated system yesterday, before giving it up as a useless exercise.

Here is another question - Mike just sent the D2 form back, should he have completed the other form which just covers the ordinary driving licence as well???

Ginny

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp

The only problem you could have is if the DVLA decide to send Mike for a further medical assessment after they have looked at his medical history on the form you filled out with the doctor.

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Now that is a very good question!!!

Does anyone have a phone number which will allow me to talk to a real person at the DVLA? I spent 10 minutes going round and round the automated system yesterday, before giving it up as a useless exercise.

Here is another question - Mike just sent the D2 form back, should he have completed the other form which just covers the ordinary driving licence as well???

Ginny

With reference to the category Mikw can drive, whilst waiting.........and your other questions, and getting hold of a human being, have you got a Local Regional Office, that you could visit, and ask? If they can't tell you, they have direct contact with DVLA HQ, and can get the information for you.

Good luck, I hope you don't have to wait too long.

OP
OP
Teasy2007

Teasy2007

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Malibu PVC
Exp
Since 2005
Arrived at last!!

Well it is nearly 5 weeks since we sent everything off to the DVLA - and today Mike's new licence arrived!

He has driven the motorhome, which is allowed, whilst waiting for his licence, but it is good to have confirmation and the actual licence in his hand!!

It would probably have been back earlier, but the Doctor missed answering a question so it had to be returned and completed.

My advice would be, go to your own Doctor - Mike was cheeky and explained to the Doctor that he was only driving the motorhome and that he had heard he might get a reduction in the £90 fee. After thinking about it for a couple of minutes the Doctor replied "The Banker says Deal"
Great doctor with a sense of humour!

If you want it back quickly we would recommend going to your own Doctor because the DVLA will add the time it takes to contact your Doctor anyway.

We have checked the renewal date and although we had heard it was going to be 5 years, it is still 3 years.

Ginny and Mike

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Well it is nearly 5 weeks since we sent everything off to the DVLA - and today Mike's new licence arrived!

If you want it back quickly we would recommend going to your own Doctor because the DVLA will add the time it takes to contact your Doctor anyway.
We have checked the renewal date and although we had heard it was going to be 5 years, it is still 3 years.
Ginny and Mike

I tried to go to my own Doctor,but after 2 weeks of waiting for an appointment I went to an IGP surgery :thumb:
The fee was £90 as opposed to the £125 my own surgery quoted and I received my license this morning-only 18 days after the medical,despite the fact that my BP was sky high (185/120)-I have now had that sorted :thumb:

Mike

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
That business with the 'OK to carry on driving as long as we have received the forms' is exactly the same for time restricted licences issued to diabetics - on insulin, we get a max of 3 years duration - can be less if circumstances dictate this.

Mine was due in January 2012 and I sent the forms back to them in Oct 2011, and they definitely received them in Oct 2011 - cos you do need to check they have!

Due to various things where they were sposed to make appointments for me and didn't, plus a total mistake I made on the original form - plus they discovered after loads of correspondence and to-ing and fro-ing that I had entirely omitted to answer one of the questions on the medical form, so it shows how well they check them! - it was July last year before I actually got my new licence.

The ONLY snag with all this 'extension' being - they only say you are still allowed to drive whatever you are allowed to drive - in the UK. They say they can't guarantee it for other countries - even within the EU - and if this affected you, you should check with each country concerned. This could WELL affect people on this forum, methinks.

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever who you would contact abroad. I did ask the DVLA - just as a matter of interest - but they have no info to offer in this respect.

So it's all a bit dubious whether you can hit the continong legally while all this is going on. (even in a sub 3.5 tonne van or your car/mbike etc)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back