Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
TomTom have loaned me a Caravan & Camper Sat Nav so i might test it and tell you all about it. TomTom are not in my good books right now as the last couple of machines i have had from them turned out to be pretty naff

First impressions out of the box are good, the machine responds much snappier than what I have been used to. I've played with the menu systems and they ask for width and length of motorhome. If you are thinking about buying hand on a while for my thoughts:thumb:

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Be very interested in your findings as I'm thinking of getting one having been down a few very narrow lanes in the past few weeks! It's that or the Snooper Ventura Pro Sound DB8500, but again cannot find any good write ups from MH owners.

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Which maps and nav core are they Jim, i know your on about the caravan and camper sat nav but the latest truck maps and nav core have many problems I have read in that they are not routing around low bridges or weight restrictions

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Could this application be downloaded to existing Tom Toms we have the old Tom Tom 700 updated and want to keep it because of its excellent memory, but a down load of this would be good.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Could this application be downloaded to existing Tom Toms we have the old Tom Tom 700 updated and want to keep it because of its excellent memory, but a down load of this would be good.

Carol, this is not an "App" it is a Sat nav device.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Carol, this is not an "App" it is a Sat nav device.

Thanks John, I did realise that, me and my technical terminology are not that good,::Blush:

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
We have been using a TomTom Caravan and Camper Sat Nav for 10 months or so now. It has guided us around the UK and down through France and then on to Benidorm in Spain and back without a hitch.

Brisey.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I have been using the Tom Tom Camper version for about 9 months now. I have two mounts, one in the car and one in the MO-Home. All I have to do is tell it which vehicle I'm driving.

If I'm driving the Mo-Ho it adds about 25% in time on any journey to the car timings. It has so-far been everything I hoped it would be.

I haven't updated maps yet as I'm sure this is where my last TomTom started misbehaving following an Update.

The live traffic and two minute updates have saved me many times when an accident has occurred on my daily homeward journey. Only 31 miles but often the Worthing to Portsmouth A27 is clogged up.

The Google option has also saved my bacon. I punched in what I wanted, it gave me about 7 options listed closest first then I navigated directly to the one of my choice; Brilliant.

Very pleased so far....................Griff
:thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
TomTom have loaned me a Caravan & Camper Sat Nav so i might test it and tell you all about it. TomTom are not in my good books right now as the last couple of machines i have had from them turned out to be pretty naff

First impressions out of the box are good, the machine responds much snappier than what I have been used to. I've played with the menu systems and they ask for width and length of motorhome. If you are thinking about buying hand on a while for my thoughts:thumb:

You'll have Swift lending you Kontiki next:winky:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I did a write up a little while ago, my first impressions were [HI]a little over priced[/HI] but having used in europe love it.

I also use this app which is good for setting up pois

http://softop.tomtomusers.com/TomPoiEdr/

Have to agree with that, but I'm glad I spent the extra now! :thumb:

Sep 7, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer exsis 688
Exp
Since 2010
TomTom caravan & camper user

We have had a TomTom Caravan and Camper with Europe Maps for a year and are quite impressed.
We tow a smart so it is convenient to switch from Camper to Car. The difference in routes for getting from A to B is very different.
The catalogue of campsites is quite extensive with some site details of facilities etc.
We used it to drive down to Portugal, I did keep a paper map open just in case but it coped.
The extra TomTom Services are useful - don't use the Speed Camera bit but the Traffic has rerouted us (have it on ask setting not automatic) when roads have been closed for accidents.
I have used the local search and weather when I could not get free wifi on my phone etc. to find restaurants, supermarkets and launderettes. When abroad I used the Twitter link which is automatically offered when you arrive at your destination (once set up)You can retype over the automatic message but it will always end with tomtom address on the end, but useful to let those at home know where you are.

I could be biased because we have always used TomTom products but the Smart came with a Pioneer Sat Nav and I'm still trying to get on with it, so we've now copped out and use the TomTom in both vehicles.

Julie-Ann & Mike

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I have used a map for over 50 years. Never ever let me down or broken. Did purchase a HGV friendly map for last twenty years on road. Shows bridge heights and weight limits. Busby.:Smile:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years

Would be good to hear how it performs as im fed up with my sat nav trying to take me down what seem like footpaths.Also do they do this to fit the blue and me system?

Last edited:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Would be good to hear how it performs as im fed up with my sat nav trying to take me down what seem like footpaths.Also [HI]do they do this to fit the blue and me system?[/HI]

I must be getting dense Dave, what is a blue and me system?...........:hardhat:

Daveo2006

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Apache 700
Exp
3 years
I must be getting dense Dave, what is a blue and me system?...........:hardhat:

Its an intergrated system on Fiats where as the unit plugs into the dashboard.I did try one last year but wasnt fully integrated i.e. the sound didnt over ride the stereo.Hoping that they sort it as its nice and tidy.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I changed from TomTom to Garmin ("ordinary" car systems) just over three years ago because I was fed up with the inaccuracy of Tele Atlas maps despite paying the high charges for map updates several times. For instance it took years for them to sort out the re-routing of the A1 past Ferrybridge despite the fact that it had been completed before I was given the TomTom for Christmas 2005.

So, I have two questions:
1) has the accuracy to Tele Atlas maps improved at all over the last three years.
2) have Tele Atlas measured the widths of all roads in the UK or not and, if they have, is the width data for all roads included in the map database supplied with the Caravan & Camper Sat Nav?

Actually I also have a third question. Is it still possible to load one's own PoI datasets to TomTom sat navs (as I would wish to add my parking PoIs if I did get one)?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back