LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
The above, was a suggestion for an alternative anti break in device...

I`m away and my dongle is struggling..
:RollEyes::Sad:

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
The above, was a suggestion for an alternative anti break in device...

I`m away and my dongle is struggling.. :RollEyes::Sad:

I like your way of thinking, but......by the time the anti break-in device goes off, the thief has already broken in :Blush::Doh::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I like your way of thinking, but......by the time the anti break-in device goes off, the thief has already broken in :Blush::Doh::thumb:

If set up properly, as soon as the door is opened an inch it would go off..

Not after they were in...

I can put up with renewing a lock...

But bit of a pain if they get in and have your money & passport away.. :Sad::Angry:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

Ummm.. dont wanna be picky, but exactly when SHOULD an alarm go off then ?

My house alarms only go off if someone breaks in, bank alarms go off when someone breaks in, and indeed all our vehicle alarms tend to do the same !!

Pre-emptive mind reading alarms that go off when someone thinks about breaking in are still too expensive for every day use !! :ROFLMAO:

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
For under a £5 a door...

Fix one of the below, to the body and the lanyard to the door, with a shorter lanyard as you can... to turn the alarm off just replace the pin...

Thy are ear shattering and will put the fear up any intruder..

And are a good alternative if you cannot or dont know how to do your on board alarm..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Loud-Pers...097&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&sd=150808248734&

I have posted this on a couple of occasions when alarming the MH is brought up.

Haven't fitted them to new one yet as it has a better alarm system but I will add them. In the old mh we had them on all doors including cab doors and I can assure they worked as I opened the door a couple of times forgetting they where attached.

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Is It OK With a Pre-Emptive Alarm
to shoot someone in case they think of Burgling your M-Home.:winky:

Maybe one of Legal People can Advise:winky:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Is It OK With a Pre-Emptive Alarm
to shoot someone in case they think of Burgling your M-Home.:winky:

Maybe one of Legal People can Advise:winky:

Only if they venture inside the 6 metre rule. If outside 6 metres try to entice them in, then give em both barrels.

Emmenay

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-tiki 600
Exp
Since 2011
Ummm.. dont wanna be picky, but exactly when SHOULD an alarm go off then ?

My house alarms only go off if someone breaks in, bank alarms go off when someone breaks in, and indeed all our vehicle alarms tend to do the same !!

Pre-emptive mind reading alarms that go off when someone thinks about breaking in are still too expensive for every day use !! :ROFLMAO:

Having just been 'done' and now seen the price of a door lock, (could have been worse, could have been a new door skin) i have completely changed my approach to the subject.
Suppose you have a room to guard, and you have a dog that barks when absolutely necessary, where do you sit the dog, behind the door or in front of the door?
Behind the door the dog barks when the door is opened, in front of the door the dog shows its teeth when someone approaches.
Now a flashing LED might not seem like the be all and end all but it certainly does give the thief a decision to make, assuming he can see the damn thing because once your screens are up for the night where is it, flashing hopelessly away on the dashboard where nobody can see it, result, a busted lock!
Now suppose there was a flashing LED somewhere clearly visible to a thief, chances are he/she will see it and move on. My future project is to get some door mounted or similar LED's and fit them right next to the key holes, hopefully pre-empting the decisions of burglar bill.
In my recent case, how did the thief know I hadn't set the alarm? because he was able to lift the external screen and have a good look in to see the LED not flashing. That certainly makes me think about things, how will i overcome that, I will use internal screens or both, but not just external in future, regardless where the LED is!
In response to the house alarm scenario, yes it goes off when a thief is in, but you put a visible deterrent up on the wall outside to prevent it.
Bank alarms go off once a robber is in because the people that rob them don't particularly care about an alarm, they are much more calculated than a petty thief.
As for the vehicle alarms I just don't know, maybe that answers why car alarms are no good on motorhomes!
I know a lot of people will read this and think 'yawn what a load of old tosh', but I'll be damned if i'm going to keep spending on gadgets with a net result being a new door lock every time. but remmember folks, LED's only work if you actually set the alarm. :ROFLMAO::thumb:

A wise man recently said...

How many thieves are still around when an alarm goes off? The reality is that vehicle crime is being reduced year on year due to improved security.

Like all things in life it's all about choice.

Ten vans in an Aire, one alarmed with multilingual warning stickers on, special alarm stickers by the locks, bright external warning LED's flashing away and an alarm security loop protecting the trailer or bikes, nine with no visible security whatsoever. Which one would be burgled first?

Most opportunistic thefts are by people that don't want confrontation. If they didn't mind confrontation they'd simply knock on the door, stick a knife in your face and demand money. Consequently the risk of a security system sounding deters these people.

The proof? The number of reports where people that only have a car alarm fitted to a motorhome and have a single internal LED fitted inside the motorhome, obscured by the blinds, when a large screwdriver is used to take out the door lock, the door opened then when the alarm sounds the potential thief scarpers. So if the thief runs off when an alarm sounds, it stands to reason the thief wouldn't bother tempting a break in if he knew the vehicle was alarmed.

Eddie

Last edited:
OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
I sometimes have a struggle with my dongle, must be an age thing.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

he mo you better go to the doctors if your having trouble with your dongle :roflmto:or have some more wine mate

I have just measured my little "Dongle"...

And it only sticks out approx three inches...:cry:

Would I benefit from a longer one...? :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Or you could go smaller and louder Link Removed

a whole 10 Decibels louder and smaller -- which just goes to show size does not matter - it is the end result that counts :RollEyes::ROFLMAO:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have just measured my little "Dongle"...

And it only sticks out approx three inches...:cry:

Would I benefit from a longer one...? :Doh::ROFLMAO:

Might be easier if you try waving the one you have at the moment around a bit. You never know, it might perform as well as a full size one then

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back