What are these? (1 Viewer)

May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
I had a look under the motorhome and saw what I think are legs to stabilise the MH but I'm not sure, anyone identify this item? Image attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 304

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
That's exactly what they are we have them at the back of our MH very rarely use them though.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
their steadies as suggested, but watch they dont seize up if you rarely use them. we had some of those on a previous van that were very awkward to use, they eventually started to rust and lock in place due to road debris and water. i stripped them down cleaned and greased them, rarely used them though

i saw one camper trying to plough a field on a THS because he forgot that the steadies were down when moving off once, so its stuck in my mind about not using them unless necessary.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
You will need a longish winding handle. Possibly stored in a belly locker somewhere.
This you fit on the largish hexagon bolt head and wind clockwise to deploy them. They move firstly to a vertical position then extend to the ground. You may need chicks underneath if on soft ground.
They will stop the van rocking excessively if your parked up broadside up to a severe wind.
Used mine weekend before last for the second time since I had the van nealy five years ago.
If you use yours, after extending them, store the winding handle through the steering wheel of the van, as this will remind you about them before you drive off.

Peter

Upvote 0

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
I had a look under the motorhome and saw what I think are legs to stabilise the MH but I'm not sure, anyone identify this item? Image attached[/QUOTe

I have the same ones fitted to my hymer ,use mine all the time ,just write out a check list of things to do before you move off , lockers , rear steadies , EHU cable etc , leave it on the dash board its what i do, works for me .

Upvote 0

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
We've used ours once on our tandem axle chassis, and TBH, we didn't notice any difference at all, so not used them since.

Good advice above, re the servicing of them, especially if not in regular use. :thumb:

Cheers,

Jock.

Upvote 0

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
You will need a longish winding handle. Possibly stored in a belly locker somewhere.
This you fit on the largish hexagon bolt head and wind clockwise to deploy them. They move firstly to a vertical position then extend to the ground. You may need chicks underneath if on soft ground.
They will stop the van rocking excessively if your parked up broadside up to a severe wind.
Used mine weekend before last for the second time since I had the van nealy five years ago.
If you use yours, after extending them, store the winding handle through the steering wheel of the van, as this will remind you about them before you drive off.

Peter

Is there something about the properties of baby birds or pretty young women that I'm not aware of?

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have them on our van and use them most times we are away. The previous owner had left some wooden blocks as chocks but they tended to soak in water in damp weather so I cut a redundant plastic chopping board in half and drilled each half to take a handle made from some scrap electrical cable.

The mobile engineer who did our habitation check in January (first anniversary of buying the van) checked and greased them.

Upvote 0

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
It's easy to forget they are down when driving away :Doh:............

......... my advice is, that when you have them lowered, place the winding handle across the accelerator and brake pedals as a reminder.:Cool:

Upvote 0

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
This you fit on the largish hexagon bolt head and wind clockwise to deploy them. They move firstly to a vertical position then extend to the ground. You may need [HI]chicks [/HI]underneath if on soft ground.

Peter

Tried mine with Chicks Peter but they were a bit squidgy at the end

Broken Link RemovedBroken Link Removed Link Removed

Will Try Chocks next time.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

peter H

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2008
Neath, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Nearly 4 years
Ha ha, chicks indeed.
The benefits of auto spellcheckers and posting at 3am are obvious now.

Peter

Upvote 0

4matt

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
East Riding
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie in my second year.
We have these too. They don't look like they have ever been used. So I ain't even going to try and wind them.... Ten years and never been used? Wonder why? The previous owner who took so much trouble looking after the van seems to have neglected these completely.

Upvote 0
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Have these on mine and use them all the time, spray them occasionally with oil and use an old caravan steady winding handle left over from my tugging days.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
I concur JJ; and if your chick's on the ground why would you need to stabilise the MoHo?

Why refuse? Based on the fact I am a beginner I expect you would excuse me if the usage is blindingly obvious. So is it because i used "one" as an impersonal in a sentence? :)

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Whoops!

My attempt at humour has misfired...

Sorry BgClick.

The only time I would need to use the stabilising legs on my classic Hymer would be when certain activities requiring considerable physical movements were taking place inside the van over a considerable length of time (one or two minutes).

However, as I joked in my post, I refuse to talk about it here.

Sorry I upset you.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fireman Sam

Free Member
Sep 8, 2012
Bushey
Funster No
MH
Class C
Exp
Only since 2012, but I towed for many years
Whoops!

Sorry BgClick.

The only time I would need to use the stabilising legs on my classic Hymer would be when certain activities requiring considerable physical movements were taking place inside the van over a considerable length of time (one or two minutes).

Sorry I upset you.

Me too.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BigClick
May 13, 2012
West Mids
Funster No
MH
Bailey Advance 6-2
Exp
since 2012
Whoops!

Sorry BgClick.

Sorry I upset you.

I missed that one its still funny having to have it explained.

I did put a smiley on my reply. I don't get upset very easily especially if the medium is the Internet

I apologise too for not making it clear I was being a little silly.

:Smile:

Upvote 0

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
No need to apologise to me BgClick...

You haven't upset me.

If I can help with any motorhoming queries I, along with all other Funsters, will be delighted to be as useful as possible.

As a rather unconventional motorhomer though my experiences are not always much use to the majority of the gang.

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2012
Bury St Edmunds
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year on and loving it!
No need to apologise to me BgClick...

You haven't upset me.

If I can help with any motorhoming queries I, along with all other Funsters, will be delighted to be as useful as possible.

As a rather unconventional motorhomer though my experiences are not always much use to the majority of the gang.

If nothing else they usually raise a chuckle from the rest of us JJ:roflmto:

Upvote 0

Richc69

Free Member
Jun 28, 2012
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months in to our Motorhome experiment

Peter

I know the sort you are referring to Peter, and it's a good shout about the winding handle. I place ours across all 3 pedals in the footwell.

We have this type of stabiliser leg on our old Burstner, there is a quick release lever which you can push in if it's not seized / gunged up, the leg can then be slid to make it shorter to clear it's retaining pin, (you can use the winding handle too but in the opposite direction first), it will then swing down and can be extended again by using the q/r lever before final adjustment with the cranking handle. Ours will lift the van and stabilise it to a degree, but there is still some lateral sway. I have been trying to source a replacement for one of the legs, as the machined serrations have been stripped in one spot, I can get around it with blocks of wood, but it can be a pain in the rain....

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back