Given up on Portugal !!! (1 Viewer)

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Given up on Portugal and now heading for Spain !Weather been awful - wind, rain, clouds & overcast for pretty much past two weeks with only a few days of decent weather now & then .
Hopefully Spain will be a bit better?????Of course this now means that the weather in Portugal will make a massive recovery!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the rain in spain is mainly on portugal. didnt you know that.
recommend follow the coast right by the coast . if there is a road between you and the sea you might be on the wrong road. there is nice places down from huelva but you do have to come back a bit to get to seville but do sanluca de barremeda and chipiona then follow the coast its great. we do it in trucks so road size isnt a problem .stay off main routes . have an adventure ,

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Try Matalascañas from Portugal come over bridge into Spain, first garage on right or left of motorway fill up with diesel, it's 11c per litre cheaper than the other garages in Spain, follow motorway and turn off at junction AFTER junction 53 ( near my house) and follow road down to Matalascañas, when you get there turn right at roundabout heading Mazagon, about 500 mts turn left to campsite on beach.

Great beach, small town, should be sunny (but not today) :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
the rain in spain is mainly on portugal. didnt you know that.
recommend follow the coast right by the coast . if there is a road between you and the sea you might be on the wrong road. there is nice places down from huelva but you do have to come back a bit to get to seville but do sanluca de barremeda and chipiona then follow the coast its great. we do it in trucks so road size isnt a problem .stay off main routes . have an adventure ,

Isla Christina ,sp, is just over the border in Spain one of my favourite stops.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i fill up at ayamonte there are a couple of garages with cheap fuel .
mind the supermarkets in vila real de antonio were as cheap ,intermarche .
yes isla cristina is ideal . from mazagon to matalascanas there are loads of stopping places .
then you have to go north . if you have a good map you can miss seville and go through the salt flats near isla mayor there is a bridge across the river then we hug the river right down to nearly bonanza . but it is a track . goes through a lovely forest area . if you dont like tracks its seville, los palacios, lebrija, trebujena and down . lots of free park ups.
best only use the motorway to cross the bridge from portugal to spain then get off .. use small roads much nicer .

Last edited:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
El Rocio is a place to visit - dirt streets with people riding their horses is the norm in the streets - real cowboy style. Right by a lovely lake - very good bird watching area (flamingoes on the lake as well). We camped right in the town centre next to the small park area, but there is a campsite nearby.

Nigel and Pamala

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
try poland weather there was great :roflmto:

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
El Rocio is a place to visit - dirt streets with people riding their horses is the norm in the streets - real cowboy style. Right by a lovely lake - very good bird watching area (flamingoes on the lake as well). We camped right in the town centre next to the small park area, but there is a campsite nearby.

Nigel and Pamala

Hi Nigel and Pamala

Yes I would have suggested El Rocio (its just 20 minutes from my house) but perhaps not good for this weekend or Monday/Tuesday this week. It is El Rocio weekend and up to 750,000 people walk and drive to El Rocio for the Holy service at the Church and the "Religious Gathering" Campsite will be full (and expensive) so unless you want to fight your way in and out, best go another time. :thumb:

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Hi Nigel and Pamala

Yes I would have suggested El Rocio (its just 20 minutes from my house) but perhaps not good for this weekend or Monday/Tuesday this week. It is El Rocio weekend and up to 750,000 people walk and drive to El Rocio for the Holy service at the Church and the "Religious Gathering" Campsite will be full (and expensive) so unless you want to fight your way in and out, best go another time. :thumb:

No not a good idea, unless you like crowds.:ROFLMAO:

Nigel and Pamala

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Usually go to these places just in Spain in the winter (mates got a villa in estoi ::bigsmile:) and can never understand why all the flats and apartments are compleatly empty right on the beach , not a soul in sight, and its nearly always pleasantly warm , you would think there would be a market to rent them to north Europeans.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they do try to rent them out .and some are incredibly cheap . far cheaper to fly out and have an apartment than drive there . but then its staying at the same place .
i cant understand those that drive to spain then stop on a campsite never moving too far away . must be cheaper to have an apartment . many still hire cars so thats the same .
have seen apartments far cheaper than campsite fees .
different lifestyle i know . but loads do it .

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
they do try to [HI]rent them out[/HI] .and some are [HI]incredibly cheap [/HI]. [HI]far cheaper to fly out and have an apartment than drive there[/HI] . but then its staying at the same place .
i cant understand those that drive to spain then stop on a campsite never moving too far away . must be cheaper to have an apartment . many still hire cars so thats the same .
have seen apartments far cheaper than campsite fees .
different lifestyle i know . but loads do it .

I have to agree, I flew out a few weeks ago and the villa was simply incredible.

They through in the car rental and we had change from £1000, oh and by the way jaygee, I had to hide from the sun EVERY day.

Jackie laid out in it for eight or nine days, too blinkin' hot for me though.

Link Removed

Last edited:

simi

Free Member
Jun 30, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Knaus sun Ti
Exp
1year
Well the sun is now out in Portugal,::bigsmile: after a week of very cold wet weather. We are now at the chickenrun and what a great place, love all the animals and Andrew and Lesley can't do enough to help you enjoy your stay:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back