Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
Is there anything preventing making a DIY towbar for my MH? Only intend to use the 'towbar' to mount a cycle rack, as I do not fancy drilling holes in back of my MH for a traditional cycle rack.

The DIY 'towbar' will be fitted to an Autotrail Dakota on a Fiat chassis

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
depends on the age of the vehicle, after 2012 they must be type approve

OP
OP
Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie

Free Member
Nov 20, 2012
Full Timer
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota
Exp
since Jan 2013
depends on the age of the vehicle, after 2012 they must be type approve

If the 'towbar' does not have a tow hitch, and is only used for the purpose of fitting a bike rack, is this still the case?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If the 'towbar' does not have a tow hitch, and is only used for the purpose of fitting a bike rack, is this still the case?
as far as i know anything structural bolted or welded to the van needs to be type approved....a towbar is structural, whereas a body mounted bike rack is an accessory.

type approved towbars must have the relevant sticker or plate attached to show approval.

i believe its to do with the way a vehicles structure behaves in an accident.....chassis crumple zones etc........ and a towbar will alter what the manufacturer designed to happen.

only applies to 2012 vehicles onwards though, pre 2012 do as you want as long as its structurally sound.

Last edited:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Bear in mind that any towbar with or without a ball fitted and associated wiring is now a part of the MOT if a ball is fitted that is also a part of the MOT now - unless of course it has a cover on it and then the tester cannot remove the cover to look at it :RollEyes:

Vic

Aug 1, 2010
Funster No
If it is not a tow bar, but a support for your cycle rack then it does need to be type approved if it is 2012 van. If it is a tow bar then it does.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Bear in mind that any towbar with or without a ball fitted and associated wiring is now a part of the MOT if a ball is fitted that is also a part of the MOT now - unless of course it has a cover on it and then the tester cannot remove the cover to look at it :RollEyes:

Hi Bill my interpretation of this scenario is quite simple from a MoT point of view
No Tow Ball =Not a tow bar = No MoT interest:thumb:

Same as
No seat = Not a seat Belt = No MoT interest in belt condition:RollEyes:

As for the OP's original question I would say, type approval would not be reqd if no provision for a tow ball was present:thumb:
Geo

edgy

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 25, 2011
bolton lancs
Funster No
MH
lo line
Exp
"I,m a newbie
Hi Geo i remember on a previous post about towbars that you said that the law related to vans and not motrohomes. Is this correct or have i started it all off again:Doh:

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Hi Geo i remember on a previous post about towbars that you said that the law related to vans and not motrohomes. Is this correct or have i started it all off again:Doh:

The law applies to motorhomes registered after April 2012

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks

I can get into arguments without any help thak you::bigsmile:
Regs change by the Hr now days as of 10.13pm 16/5/13

Prior to April 2012 e.g. ‘12’, ‘62’, ‘13’ etc. non Type approved can be fitted:thumb:

After April 2012 e.g. ‘12’, ‘62’, ‘13’ etc. Type approved must be fitted if used for towing:RollEyes:
or non Type approved if used for carrying purposes ie bike racks box's etc:thumb:
Geo

Just to add
if a tow ball is fitted it will be regarded as a tow bar and may fail the mot if its non type approved and should be,
even if you say its for carrying, as its still capable of towing,
Only 13 pin sockets will be subject to mot test checks, stick a 7 pin adapter in and
Im not allowed to remove it so no test can be done to the electrics

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back