Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We're going to Leyburn, North Yorkshire and would like to cut off the M6 at Killington Lake, head for Sedbergh and then on to Hawes.

This is an "A road" but the CC have advised that it's not suitable for motorhomes and caravans. This is the most direct route for us to go to Leyburn, is the caravan club correct, or are they just being over cautious?

We just wondered if any funsters have taken a motorhome along this route because surely it can't be as bad as that. The alternative route is taking the A66 to Richmond and then on to Leyburn, which is a very long way around:Sad:

We are leaving on Friday morning and any advice would be much appreciated:thumb:
Bill

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Haven't driven that way in a motorhome but know that road quite well, and can't see why you couldn't use it - I had a static in that area for 30 years. If you want a campsite between Hawes and Leyburn, try West Burton, very pretty village with waterfall, super butcher (own cumberland sausages) and great cat pottery. Pub not bad either! Don't miss Bolton Castle at Castle Bolton - stunning!

Catherine

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I just looked at the CC route advice and it seems rather strange. Could it be that "The route from M6, junction 37, via Sedbergh is not advised as narrow and difficult in places)." is because it might be difficult if towing?

Looking at Google maps the Sedbergh route doesn't look as narrow as the suggested A66/A685/B6259 route (especially the B6259).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I've taken an 8 wheel rigid hgv, fully loaded at 32t gross, along that route and everyone survived. :thumb:
Just in some places a little more care than normal is required.
Depends on your level of confidence really ::bigsmile:

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I took my old Hymer 544 along that route to Hawes and Keld and later up to Tan Hill no problem.
I can see how some tuggers would find difficulty especially one like this [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIoxdFqPdfs"]Tommy Makem-The Red Velvet Steering Wheel Cover Driver - YouTube[/ame]

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Thanks very much to you all for your advice and suggestions:thumb:

The last time we were in Sedbergh we can remember going over a very narrow humped-back bridge, but that was in a Volvo estate. We have underslung tanks in our mh, do you think this could be a problem?:pray:

Bill has just gone out to remove the red velvet steering wheel cover from the Autoquest :Blush::roflmto::roflmto::roflmto:

Many thanks again, Bill::bigsmile:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Haven't driven that way in a motorhome but know that road quite well, and can't see why you couldn't use it - I had a static in that area for 30 years. If you want a campsite between Hawes and Leyburn, try West Burton, very pretty village with waterfall, super butcher (own cumberland sausages) and great cat pottery. Pub not bad either! Don't miss Bolton Castle at Castle Bolton - stunning!

Catherine

We love the sound of the butcher's own cumberland sausages:thumb:
I don't suppose they have a "link" to their shop?:roflmto:

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Shouldn't think so... it's a bit old fashioned, that's what makes it good!

C

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just followed the route on google earth and it looks fine to me.

wide-ish two lane road and as there are bus stops i would assume its also a bus route :RollEyes:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Shouldn't think so... it's a bit old fashioned, that's what makes it good!

C

Hi Catherine,
I was just joking about the "link" because of the sausages/(links):roflmto:
Thanks for the info, will look out for West Burton and make a stop.:thumb:
Margaret

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Many thanks to Graham and pappajohn for your advice about Google earth. We will give this route a try, if for no other reason than to find out why the CC aren't recommending it. I've now had a look at the Google earth route and it doesn't look too bad compared to a road that we found ourselves on in the dark, heading for Castleton last November:whatthe:

Will let you know how we get on tomorrow night:thumb:

Bill

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Drove that route in our Motorhome when we had the snow, as the A66 was closed. It's passible just look well ahead for vehicles coming the other way as there are a few tight spots. There are two narrow bridges, but just take your time. :thumb:

OP
OP
MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Reached Lower Wensleydale!!

Thanks again to everyone who gave us their advice on the route from Sedbergh through Hawes. We left sunny Skyreburn this morning and travelled down with good weather, we are now in the Lower Wensleydale CC site and it is pouring down!!!:cry:

The route was fine, couple of tight bends and tight bridges, but no problems at all. Hawes looks a lovely little place, we made a quick stop for the cash machine and then kept going. Will go back next week and stop for a good look around:thumb:

The Pheasant Inn is just half a mile walk from the site, so that is really handy, shame they don't do meals though. We're off to Wetherby racecourse tomorrow and then back to the site.

Just hope this rain stops by tomorrow...........:rain::rain:

Bill & Margaret:Smile:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Glad you made it OK.

Local forecast is that rain is clearing from the south so Wetherby should become dry before Wensleydale and it should be OK when you get back. Forecast for tomorrow is OK.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back