LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Has anyone managed to get a discount from your insurance company having installed a Car DVR Camera / Dashcam video Recorder (accident black box)??

Last edited:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Has anyone managed to get a discount from your insurance company having installed a Car DVR Camera / Dashcam video Recorder (accident black box)??

I haven't posed the question with my insurers yet but suspect that they would want it permanently connected with the ignition if they were to consider it.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Just give them another excuse not to pay out if you had a prang and it wasn`t switched on or working... :Sad:

If you had one fitted and could get a bit of discount....

If I were to have an accident and it was in the front, I should imagine 75% on the time (Conservative guess) it would be my fault.. :Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

doesn't answer your question Dave but some info here from Road Hawk Link Removed

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just saved £65 on my new (TO ME) van with CARAVAN GUARD because van is fitted with THATCHEM alarm. Every little helps. BUSBY.::bigsmile:

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
In short No!
I asked my insurrance company before renewing if they would give a discount if I fitted the Roadhawk HD and they said no.
Whilst it may be helpful to prove innocence to police the Insurance company's don't seem to interested.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I think it would depend on your insurers....many are getting tight fisted and don't want to give anything away - if you have a camera fitted, and are unfortunate enough to have an accident...you watch how quickly they ask for the footage!

Look at companies that WILL give you discount. Don't forget, if they do - you will be obliged to give them footage, even if it implements yourself as guilty.

I suppose, if they don't - there is no reason for you to come up with it....

They definitely can help/save your bacon as stated on here before with a member abroad. They can also be used to record a particularly spectacular journey whilst on your travels if you have it running constantly - I don't know, climbing the Alps for example - patched onto a holiday vid, or you tubed, could be quite a bonus!

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all,

I fitted CCTV to my MH. Its an 8 channel DVR, fed with 6 small IR colour cameras at 700 tv lines. I housed the system behind the TV, and connected to tv using a pc cable. I attached a wireless router as well, so i could add it to my home network and download footage from the last trip etc. I try to leave it running even when parked up, and when its sunny I can for days, via a 180w solar panel topping up both my main battery and leisure bat.

Its great too for wild camping, can happily bunker down at night and switch on monitor to see surroundings, 360 degrees coverage, wildlife, piece of mind 'who is outside' security etc, whilst in total blackout with blinds+curtains drawn.

Sourced the DVR from eBay, about £38, and cameras from iCustodian, for around £20 each. The cameras are about the size of a C cell battery, rotatable so can be installed at any angle. I had to cut the cables and re-solder them inside to allow the smallest possible wound to the skin of the van. Inside, I mounted double back-boxes with blank plates to house the connections, and routed all wiring back through cupboards and mini trunking to reach DVR.

I also included a feed from a reversing camera, but am yet to add that to the DVR. It currently comes on stereo screen when reverse is selected, useful eyes when reversing a coach built.

If your able to have a go and fit yourself, its worth the effort. I thought at first I was being a bit eccentric/paranoid, but after using it, it has great benefits that I hadn't thought of. Using an iphone app, I can even log in and view live footage or a recording from its hard drive, so long as the router has a internet connection, wifi, dongle etc.

Insurance renewal is due in December, would be interesting to see if they offer any discount for it.

all the best

Andy

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Hi all,

I fitted CCTV to my MH. Its an 8 channel DVR, fed with 6 small IR colour cameras at 700 tv lines. I housed the system behind the TV, and connected to tv using a pc cable. I attached a wireless router as well, so i could add it to my home network and download footage from the last trip etc. I try to leave it running even when parked up, and when its sunny I can for days, via a 180w solar panel topping up both my main battery and leisure bat.

Its great too for wild camping, can happily bunker down at night and switch on monitor to see surroundings, 360 degrees coverage, wildlife, piece of mind 'who is outside' security etc, whilst in total blackout with blinds+curtains drawn.

Sourced the DVR from eBay, about £38, and cameras from iCustodian, for around £20 each. The cameras are about the size of a C cell battery, rotatable so can be installed at any angle. I had to cut the cables and re-solder them inside to allow the smallest possible wound to the skin of the van. Inside, I mounted double back-boxes with blank plates to house the connections, and routed all wiring back through cupboards and mini trunking to reach DVR.

I also included a feed from a reversing camera, but am yet to add that to the DVR. It currently comes on stereo screen when reverse is selected, useful eyes when reversing a coach built.

If your able to have a go and fit yourself, its worth the effort. I thought at first I was being a bit eccentric/paranoid, but after using it, it has great benefits that I hadn't thought of. Using an iphone app, I can even log in and view live footage or a recording from its hard drive, so long as the router has a internet connection, wifi, dongle etc.

Insurance renewal is due in December, would be interesting to see if they offer any discount for it.

all the best

Andy
Hi and welcome to fun

They will probably charge you more for insurance as you have added value to your van....lol

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Yeah was wondering that. I mean its hardly as if it should be a negative because surely anything that's capable of recording facts must be good for them, and an incentive for me to be a good driver.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Interestingly, we made an 'own fault' claim on my wifes car (obviously). She had an incident where a car park pillar jumped out in front of her, and damaged the front of the car. They are pesky like that apparently! :D
Anyway, when we put in the claim, insurance asked if we had a dashcam, I questioned them that they really wanted to see footage of the car being driven into a pillar, but yes they wanted it! So I duly sent it to them.
The only thing I can think of is that they were trying to rule out insurance fraud!

May 16, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
VW T4 Compass Calypso
Exp
Since 2007
Hi,
Here are a few pics of the system I fitted to my Calypso.
Cameras are mounted high on each corner, also one at the front through the screen and one at the rear. I have all round cctv which I can record my entire journey (recently did Scotland Tour). Great for when parking in lay-by's, when blacked out can see outside perfectly well, enough to see anyone creeping about outside. It makes for interesting viewing of wildlife too, mesmerising!!

Drilled entry hole for camera's , sealed and re-soldered connections inside, in a double back box, then mini trunking through to the TV area where DVR is housed. Have router connected, with dongle working, can log in with phone and view live, or can download journey footage through router to PC indoors.
IMG_5223.JPG
IMG_5224.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG
IMG_5229.JPG
IMG_5231.JPG

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries