Bird Watching (1 Viewer)

Dec 30, 2012
Lincolnshire & Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2 Years
I've done a search on this forum for Threads/Posts on Birding, with no success. I cannot believe that no Funsters are interested in this hobby so am I possibly looking in the wrong place ???:Confused:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I suppose it depends on what type of birds you're interested in, some on here aren't into feathers! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Been a serious birder 51 years now :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
Lived in a flat for years but now have a lovely garden and am thoroughly enjoying watching the birds, several squirrels and an occasional fox:Smile:

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There are certainly many on here, including us, that enjoy birding along with most other forms of wildlife observation...... one of the reasons we moved to Norfolk.

We get great pleasure spending hours watching the birds, foxes, various deer etc. from our home and usually carry binos and scopes on our walks.

The only things we don't have as yet are the anoraks !!! :winky:

There is no specific nature forum here on Fun but maybe it's something Jim could look into.

Last edited:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Lots of us on here love the birds and wildlife and look out for the photos often posted. Our year consists of waiting for various birds to arrive here. First Canada Geese then the Pied Flycatcher. The mating of the Red Kites and Buzzards are wonderful timewasters when you are supposed to be doing work !
We have many nestboxes here so watching the boxes to see which bird is nesting where this year another past time. Won't go on but you get the picture !

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I love bird watching as well, just treated myself to another bird feeding station:thumb:
Nuthatches, spotted woodpeckers, goldfinches, chaffies, blue tits, coal tits and great tits, to name a few, all visit our garden. We also have buzzards, red kites, sparrow hawks and the occasional heron as well.

Last week I spotted a pair of bullfinches on my cherry tree:thumb:
Yes, bird watching from the kitchen window is great........no wonder I never get much housework done::bigsmile:
Margaret

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Got me into trouble more than once:ROFLMAO:

Broken Link Removed

scek

Free Member
Jan 12, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Couple of years or so.
The wife is a serious twitcher and we combine our hobbies of her bird spotting and my photography with the motorhome. Most Scottish RSPB sites let you stay over night, we're stayed at RSPB loch garten just last week. The English RSPB sites/wardens are high and mighty and up there own backsides. Only English RSPB site that lets us stay over is Leighton Moss, but phone first. They will park one motorhome at the back of the building if you tell them you want to be there late and then early the next morning. We have stayed at south stack a few times as its a public car park.

Mar 22, 2011
NE Wales
Funster No
MH
Chausson Best of 10
Exp
Since Feb 2013….2nd Van
Only English RSPB site that lets us stay over is Leighton Moss, but phone first. They will park one motorhome at the back of the building if you tell them you want to be there late and then early the next morning. We have stayed at south stack a few times as its a public car park.

A great location, even if your just partially interested in birds. The Marsh Harrier was stunning. Here's another option for a campsite at Leighton Moss. This review is one I posted on another site a month ago.

Grisedale Farm, Leighton, Carnforth, Lancs LA5 9ST
http://www.grisedalefarm.co.uk/index.php

As newbies this was our first visit to a CL. Its located about 5 mins walk from Leighton Moss RSPB Reserve. The CL site is accessed via a metalled road through the grounds of nearby Leighton Hall. Its totally isolated, just you, 4 other vans, the farm and a decent head of cattle. The site is grassed pitches, but very level and priced at £12 PN. EHU is available on all the pitches and there is a central water tap and chem disposal point and thats about it.

Mobile internet on "3" is non existent at the CL(using iphone), although the other half's O2 was picking up a 3g signal.

Dogs are allowed. There is a large enclosed field opposite the pitches and so we obtained permission off the site owner Ailsha to exercise the mutt on there. The owner and her husband are normally available if you need them at the farmhouse, but not overly intrusive, they have just the right balance.

This is a really great CL location if you want peace and quiet. On the first evening we walked onto the public access causeway that splits the nature reserve in half(you can take your dogs on this bit), within 5 mins we had spotted a Marsh Harrier hovering overhead, a great sight, I'm no bird twitcher but to see it hunting was quite an experience. There is also a public hide on the causeway that you can enter to get a closer view of the wildlife.

On the Saturday we did a 5-6 mile circular walk around the area, taking in limestone quarry, a couple of nature reserves and some stunning farmland. The weather was great which heightened the experience. The site owner Ailsha has a handbook with the walk/map listed in it..(page 82). The dog was off the lead for the majority of it and only a small portion was on roads. Take a flask and something to eat, its a great day out.

So all in all this site was gem and a great intro to the CL's circuit. A pleasurable experience, we will certainly return,

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2012
leicester
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki and vw cam
Exp
15yrs
:Sad:
I love bird watching as well, just treated myself to another bird feeding station:thumb:
Nuthatches, spotted woodpeckers, goldfinches, chaffies, blue tits, coal tits and great tits, to name a few, all visit our garden. We also have buzzards, red kites, sparrow hawks and the occasional heron as well.

Last week I spotted a pair of bullfinches on my cherry tree:thumb:
Yes, bird watching from the kitchen window is great........no wonder I never get much housework done::bigsmile:
Margaret
Thats my problem,well its not a problem really, too much time watching the birds and following what everyone is up to on here. Never did like house work anyway!!:ROFLMAO: You have a wonderfull variety of visitors to your garden i am very envious but i do have my regulars which are funnily enough a pair of bullfinches ( such sweet little birds) great tits, blue tits, blackbirds, magpies, just seen a crow strutting its stuff! also have squirrells that eat all the food along with the pidgeons. Used to have a fox but havent seen it since christmas day

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
:Sad: Thats my problem,well its not a problem really, too much time watching the birds and following what everyone is up to on here. Never did like house work anyway!!:ROFLMAO: You have a wonderfull variety of visitors to your garden i am very envious but i do have my regulars which are funnily enough a pair of bullfinches ( such sweet little birds) great tits, blue tits, blackbirds, magpies, just seen a crow strutting its stuff! also have squirrells that eat all the food along with the pidgeons. Used to have a fox but havent seen it since christmas day

I have some photos of a red squirrel that used to vandalise one of the nut holders, I would post these if I knew how to:RollEyes:

Just been watching a collared dove flying with twigs and bits to make a nest in our conifers:Smile:

Have another photo of what the moles do to the grass, right next to a plastic mole:roflmto: but will need to find out how to put the photos on. I'm ok with hyperlinks, but not with the photos.:Sad:
Margaret
p.s. Dry, sunny, but quite windy up here today and yes, life's too short for housework!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back