Uncomfortable Bench Seating in our Burstner! (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
While at Carmarthen last weekend, both Angie and I commented on the uncomfortable bench type seats in the Burstner!!

The backs of the seats are bolt upright and at 90deg to the bottom cushion = a very uncomfortable seat and in my opinion, very poor design for a large van. They could certainly have done a lot better.

Just wondering if anyone else has similar uncomfortable seats and what they did to make it better?

Cheers

John

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We just use ordinary household cushions on our similar bench seat (and on the dinette seats which obviously have to be that design for use as travel seats).

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
While at Carmarthen last weekend, both Angie and I commented on the uncomfortable bench type seats in the Burstner!!
John

Pah Englender. Ve Germans do not slouch, ve sit up mit the back straight.

Do they not look beautiful as vell.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Why not get some foam wedges and upholster/cover them to contrast with the rest of the furnishing.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You can always stick some quarter ply at a angle for the back cushions to lean against-then simply stow it flat against the wall come bed time:winky: never stops amazing me how people leave vans as they are rather than making them comfortable ::bigsmile:
Terry

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You can always stick some quarter ply at a angle
Terry

Bit like this. It did work. Slide base forwards for lounging, back for eating. But then totally modified the seating.

Attachments

• angle.jpg
    angle.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 76
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In my Rapido (the French are obviously not as upright as the Germans) there is a wedge shaped foam cushion behind the main backrest cushion which angles it. Easy to make and does not have to match the fabric as you can't see it in use. Mine is in two sections velcroed together so there is some degree of adjustment.

Wyaye wires

Free Member
Sep 13, 2009
Berwickshire
Funster No
MH
A class Neisman Bischoff
Exp
since July 2009
just in the prcess of buying a Burstner Elegance and the bench seat in it actually reclines a bit which surprised me. :thumb:

OP
OP
StitchUp
Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
In my Rapido (the French are obviously not as upright as the Germans) there is a wedge shaped foam cushion behind the main backrest cushion which angles it. Easy to make and does not have to match the fabric as you can't see it in use. Mine is in two sections velcroed together so there is some degree of adjustment.

That sounds like a pretty good solution and quite easily achieved ::bigsmile:

I knew the answers were on this forum :winky:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
We also have German design/made bench seats in our Carado and they are not good. Just about OK for the children but really uncomfortable for an adult when sitting still for 2hrs 43mins watching The Hobbit.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
just in the prcess of buying a Burstner Elegance and the bench seat in it actually reclines a bit which surprised me. :thumb:

Is that a new one with the leather seats?

Crikey that's a nice van.

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Mrs Wyaye here - no it's a 2008 one and seats are not leather but some kind of mock suede ( great fun with 4 dogs!). I think the mechanism for making them recline is like Hilldweller posted and once we get the new mh will post a picture of how it works.

I am sure a few cushions will migrate from the house to the MH in due course:ROFLMAO:

Kath

Ps. I fell asleep watching 'the hobbit'

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back