ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
New to the forum so im not even sure if this is in the correct area but here go's....

Looking for a roof mounted AC unit to fit to my Citroen Relay Panel Van (being converted as we speak). Preferably second hand as new ones are just too expensive at the minute. Looking to purchase asap.

P.S please forgive the username, so many are taken it had to be quick thinking of for this one!

Thanks
Steve

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Dont forget all modern roof mounted aircons are mains only. If you can find one like I have which is an old Trav-l-cool they are 12 volt. Unfortunately they stopped making them some years ago. The benefit of this model is that it can be used whilst on the move.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
O

ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Dont forget all modern roof mounted aircons are mains only. If you can find one like I have which is an old Trav-l-cool they are 12 volt. Unfortunately they stopped making them some years ago. The benefit of this model is that it can be used whilst on the move.
I have recently been looking into the possibility of using an inverter, large alternator, B2B, large batteries and solar set up to power the AC unit independent of hooking up to a 230 power supply. Seems like it may be more hassle and money than it is worth.
Only reason for us wanting to set up like that is because we dont use campsites much however, the money for the setup may be better used to pay for hook ups instead of unproven AC/Inverter setup.......
Anyway, for now I am just looking for a unit. Any will be considered.....

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I have recently been looking into the possibility of using an inverter, large alternator, B2B, large batteries and solar set up to power the AC unit independent of hooking up to a 230 power supply. Seems like it may be more hassle and money than it is worth.
Only reason for us wanting to set up like that is because we dont use campsites much however, the money for the setup may be better used to pay for hook ups instead of unproven AC/Inverter setup.......
Anyway, for now I am just looking for a unit. Any will be considered.....

You'd need a field of solar panels to power an air con (I'd think at least 2000W worth even for a small unit). However, at least when it is hottest, you'll get the most ampage from the panels. You won't last 5 minutes on battery, though, unless you basically turn your vehicle into a milk float.

I wonder if anyone makes gas powered units?

OP
OP
O

ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
You'd need a field of solar panels to power an air con (I'd think at least 2000W worth even for a small unit). However, at least when it is hottest, you'll get the most ampage from the panels. You won't last 5 minutes on battery, though, unless you basically turn your vehicle into a milk float.

The AC would be powered by the inverter the solar would be there to top up the field of batteries so the AC wouldnt run directly off the solar. Your right though the smallest AC unit I found would need 2700w of 'inversion' however lots of other things actually make the set up unrealistic.

A gas powered unit would be handy though!

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
hi if your looking for a 12v ac Travel-L-Cool theres one on Ebay

Link Removed

I was going to ask if there was such thing as a motorhome evaporative cooler. Seems like there is. Evaporative cooling would be much more sensible on battery than a closed loop compression system. Not as effective, and uses a lot of water, but only needs a fan to be run.

Also, not so good in high humidity.

OP
OP
O

ObiVanKenobi

Free Member
May 14, 2013
St Andrews
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks for all the help, I will research the Trav-L-Cool a little more tonight. Looks like a good bit of kit for the price....

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I have a roof mounted aircon unit by Dometic/Waeco powered by mains when on EHU of course but also wired through a 1600/1800W inverter, can't remember, for use whilst the van is in motion. The van spent some time in the sun at one time so with no cab aircon this must have been installed, at great expense, to do the two jobs.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
I was going to ask if there was such thing as a motorhome evaporative cooler. Seems like there is. Evaporative cooling would be much more sensible on battery than a closed loop compression system. Not as effective, and uses a lot of water, but only needs a fan to be run.

Also, not so good in high humidity.
Evaporative coolers can be prone to harbouring Legionella bacteria.

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Do you really need habitation air conditioning.
You are going to travel to southern Europe for warm weather then spend good money trying to negate it.
If hot weather bothers you that much then keep to more northerly latitudes and spend your money on something really important.

i qualify this by only being converted to cab A/C five years ago and truly appreciate it for a more comfortable driving experience.
Habitation cooling? A good fan should suffice and loads cheaper and versatile too.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Evaporative coolers can be prone to harbouring Legionella bacteria.

There is a 25 litre water container under the wardrobe on mine, but I have never felt the need to put water in it. It still blows cold without water. I always thought the water was just for dry climates.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back