Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I posted a week or so ago about my lights tripping off when I switch them on at the door. They stay on for about 30 seconds then off again. Trouble is this seems intermittent and have been no problem over the last few days. I have booked to have the circuits etc checked next week. Should I cancel and hope for the best or get them checked anyway? I think I know the answer but would like to hear some opinions first thanks

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
May be a loose connection on the switch. You can check that yourself if you are up to it.
I wouldn't risk it without checking as it may be a fire risk at worst - may be fine, but not worth the risk!

Unfortunately, you are a little far away for me to check for you - however - if you want to be my eyes, I am happy to talk you through it!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I posted a week or so ago about my lights tripping off

Nightmare scenario. If you've changed nothing it will return and probably at the most inconvenient moment.

Worse, it may be fine when a "pro" checks it over.

This is the kind of fault where an engineer prays for a BANG that will show just where the fault lies. A modest bang will do.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
Which section of lights Roger? Just those on one switch or all of them?
I had a problem with the shower room lights in mine and it was just a dodgy connection that needed pushing back on.
The plastic covers on the LED fittings are easily removed, might be worth going round and checking for any exposed live wires that are causing the intermittent tripping.
I've not got my van at home right now, would nip out and remind myself of the connections if I had...:Smile:

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
When it trips its all the power eg all lights TV etc. still working fine at moment. Think I will get it checked over though. I suspect it will be perfect when seen then start playing up again later. Peace offend will get a check up

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Sounds like more of an issue than just a switch - may be the main board, or a supply on the main board that is loose if it is all going out. Defo need to get it checked asap.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
When it trips its all the power eg all lights TV etc. still working fine

And trips only when the light controlled by door switch is switched on.

Does this mean other lights, say bathroom, can be switched on without bother ? Or is this some lights master switch ?

It's very important to feed whoever looks at it for you as man clues as possible, it could save you a lot of time and money.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
I posted a week or so ago about my lights tripping off when I switch them on at the door. They stay on for about 30 seconds then off again. Trouble is this seems intermittent and have been no problem over the last few days. I have booked to have the circuits etc checked next week. Should I cancel and hope for the best or get them checked anyway? I think I know the answer but would like to hear some opinions first thanks
Hi Roger,

You didn't mention the problem when at P/boro, so is it safe to assume that it has only happened since then? Apart from getting the Truma gas fire igniter working, has there been any other remedial work carried out since P/boro?

Cheers for now,

Jock.

OP
OP
RogeTeri

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
No nothing since. When it trips its a complete power down. But As I say it seems to be working ok now. But will still have it checked out for peace of mind. Thanks for all the replies and help with this

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
No nothing since. When it trips its a complete power down. But As I say it seems to be working ok now. But will still have it checked out for peace of mind. Thanks for all the replies and help with this

When you says it 'trips' do you mean a circuit breaker trips or does power just go off?

Rob

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
When this happened on mine we had stopped at a beautiful resting place high up in the Austrian Tyrol surrounded by snow - absolutely stunning. I was outside admiring the view when my wife called out to inform me that the water pump wasn't working.

Immediately went back into van thinking it would be an obvious fault - not! Spent a good hour checking 12v supply from main board etc. Couldn't find out what the problem was. We decided to get off mountain and find the next convenient camp. On travelling back down I remembered the isolating switch inside front door. I asked my wife to check it was in the 'On' position and she informed me it was.

Finally made it of the mountain and parked up and decided to check isolating switch for myself. Switch seemed fine but being a 'Sparks' and having had lots of instances with faulty switches etc. decided that just because it felt OK didn't mean it was so undid switch and checked wiring, all fine. Final check was to bridge out connections and voila' power restored.::bigsmile:

I do realise that your Motorhome might not have this type of switch. Ours is a 20amp Double Switch (only used as a single pole).

What I am saying is that just because wiring seems to be connected OK and switch mechanism feels good, don't assume switch/socket is.

On reflection, in my case, I should have started at the obvious first. There is a potential for a lot of power to go through what I think was a poor quality switch.

Intermittent faults are the worst to find - good luck.

Rob

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back