Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Scientific way to fix an electric step.

My electric step stopped working, when pressing the button I could see the power kick on the panel so the power was getting to the step.

Ok so first thing to do is check the connections.

Got the mat on the floor. lay down with torch and looked at the 2 connections, pulled them both of and cleaned them up.

Pressed the switch power kicked on panel and -------- nothing happened.

Rechecked the wires and pressed the switch whilst twiddling the wires, power kicked and still nothing happened.

Ok so now the scientific approach comes in ---pick up big screwdriver reverse grip so you are holding the shaft.

Press to operate step and hit the motor with the handle of screwdriver ------- step now operates, spray a load of WD40 arround at put the step up and down a dozen times.

Finally make a cup of tea and think of job well done.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
spray a load of WD40 arround at put the step up and down a dozen times.

Jaws and a few others around here go berserk at the mention of WD40. They say it soon dries out leaving a sticky residue which does more harm than good.

I've used it for 50 years.

I wish I could remember their preferred spray as a lubricant. ACF50 is mentioned, I have some but it looks a bit thick for electrical switch lubrication to me. It might be the bees knees for steps.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Jaws and a few others around here go berserk at the mention of WD40. They say it soon dries out leaving a sticky residue which does more harm than good.

I've used it for 50 years.

I wish I could remember their preferred spray as a lubricant. ACF50 is mentioned, I have some but it looks a bit thick for electrical switch lubrication to me. It might be the bees knees for steps.
I use GT85 for the same job PaulyP used WD40. The double step was becoming hesitant and noisy when operated.
I also use it to lubricate all the locks on the MH and the car before winter sets in, using the red straw. I've not had a frozen lock for many years now.
This came about after a Vauxhall dealership owner, warned me about using WD40, which I too thought was the "bees knees". Although it is a penetrating fluid, apparently it is not a lubricant, and it actually disperses oils and lubricants. He advised to use it to free up any locks, etc, but to re lubricate them afterwards.

Aldi were selling a range of 3in1 liquid maintenance products last week. I bought the Lithium White Grease, and High Performance Lubricating spray. My two local stores still have plenty left. ALDI Hobby Sprays

Cheers for now,

Jock.

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Got a told by an engineer that the WD40 formulae was changed a few years ago and it was now a solvent based cleaner with no lubricating qualities.

Either I wasnt listening, or did the makers of WD40 forget to tell us this!!:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back