Awning leak (in between van & device) (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Firstly we are lucky that we don't get that much rain between March and October when we are camping and so this has only happened twice so far. Basically when it rains quite heavily and perhaps if the van is parked a certain way (not sure) the the water will run between the Omnistore body and the MH side, only in 1 or 2 places and even that is hard to tell. As the water then drips off the Omnistore it falls onto the window edge and splashes all over the place = wet chairs, tables etc.

As you guys are more used to dealing with the wet stuff any suggestions on a solution ?

I'm sure once I saw a special seal for the top of these awning units or is it ok just to get the Sika on it ?

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp

Attachments

• rain guard.jpg
    rain guard.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

duane0001

Free Member
Jan 18, 2013
East Coast, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
Expedition 67 soon!
Exp
2021 This time

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Why can you not post abroad?

Website cannot compute cost of postage for parcels as Post Office charge not only by weight but volumetric size as well, very complicated and all our postal items are collected from us by Post Office van.

Courier costs for shipping abroad are also very expensive.

Peter

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'd just use a bead of sealant along the gap as it sounds like that should do the trick. :Smile:

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Firstly we are lucky that we don't get that much rain between March and October when we are camping and so this has only happened twice so far. Basically when it rains quite heavily and perhaps if the van is parked a certain way (not sure) the the water will run between the Omnistore body and the MH side, only in 1 or 2 places and even that is hard to tell. As the water then drips off the Omnistore it falls onto the window edge and splashes all over the place = wet chairs, tables etc.

As you guys are more used to dealing with the wet stuff any suggestions on a solution ?

I'm sure once I saw a special seal for the top of these awning units or is it ok just to get the Sika on it ?

Omnistor awning seal as Peter says common accessory
you can try Thule (who bought out omnistor I think ) Belgium

http://www.thule.com/en/gb/products...stor-5003-_-thule-omnistor-5003-white?ls=true

the part you need is in their catalouge and there for download

docs.thulegroup.com/Thule/outdoor/RV/thule rvcatalogue2013_en_gb/

not sure of fit to your particular van ,but there is an runner channel on top/back of awning case rubber seal slides into this and spans onto van to form seal .Possibly solve your problem ,and an easy fit job

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks guys.

Just back from another rainy day so will ave a look at this tomorrow.

The unit looks very close to the MH body so hoping that sealant will be enough but will look at these dedicated seals

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Mine has quite a gap, but doesn't bother me as I only normally use it as a sunshade. The sealant might not be enough on it's own however you should be able to buy the official sealing strip from any motorhome/caravan place anywhere in Europe. Theses things aren't made in the UK anyway.

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Ok had a look today and the conclusion is that the muppets that fitted the awning (largest MH supplier in Suisse) used a cheapo grade of sealant for the 7-8mm gap between the awning body and the van. In short the sealant has shrunk in places and there's an odd small gap, this just proves that its worth using good materials for these simple jobs (will remind the supplier...)

After some scraping and cleaning and some newly squeezed Sika, it looks good to go:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back