Towing a Volvo c30 Behind a Swift Bolero 630PR (1 Viewer)

Michael Peters

Free Member
May 10, 2013
Ringwood hants
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3years
I am having conflicting advice on having my VOLVO C30 converted for A frame towing behind my Bolero with a 130 multijet engine. The Bolero has an ALKO chassis which I am told by the dealer can tow 2 tons. The car weighs 1471kilos which is below the weight limit. I took the car to a professional installation company who had details of both vehicles well in advance and I paid a substantial deposit. When I arrived home I was told the car was too heavy and he would only do the job if I signed a disclaimer before taking delivery of the converted car.

I would welcome any advice that anyone can give me on this matter. I have paid for a heavy duty tow bar to be installed on the Balero. The person who was going to do the job tells me to change my carb I do not really want to do this.

Many thanks.

Mike from Ringwood.

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Might help knowing which type of a frame you were looking at, e.g. inertia or electric. I know Armitage fix them up to 1550 KG.
What's changing the carb got to do with it ?

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
The way i understand it is you look at the plated weights under the bonnet. Take the Boleros gross vehicles weight from the vehicles gross train weight, the difference is what you can legally tow.
With the car you need to know its gross vehicle weight.

I am sure someone will be along to either agree or put me right.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I am having conflicting advice on having my VOLVO C30 converted for A frame towing behind my Bolero with a 130 multijet engine. The Bolero has an ALKO chassis which I am told by the dealer can tow 2 tons. The car weighs 1471kilos which is below the weight limit. I took the car to a professional installation company who had details of both vehicles well in advance and I paid a substantial deposit. When I arrived home I was told the car was [HI]too heavy[/HI] and he would only do the job if I signed a disclaimer before taking delivery of the converted car.

I would welcome any advice that anyone can give me on this matter. I have paid for a heavy duty tow bar to be installed on the Balero. The person who was going to do the job tells me to change my carb I do not really want to do this.

Many thanks.

Mike from Ringwood.

Does that mean too heavy for the van to tow or too heavy for the type of A-frame you wanted?

A quick look at Swift website shows GVW for Bolero 630PR at 3500kg with train weight of 5500kg, so max to tow would appear to be 2 tonnes as you were told.

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
I have just bought (Peterborough show) a Peugeot 107. and had the newest electronic braking system put on..

And it is a fantastic easy to use (Me being a bit thick) bit of kit.. all computerised electronic braking system...

Not the same senario as you as I can, if my license allowed tow a tank...

Worth having a word with these guy`s =

http://www.tow-bars2tow-cars.co.uk/

Not the cheapest, but come highly recomended..

Only down side is they seem to limit the cars they have for sale, but I believe they do fit to most cars.. :thumb:

PS.......... Welcome to the Funsters...

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
looking at the specs of the c30 gross weight varies from 1600kgs to 1900kgs dependent on model, so as far as your towing capacity goes it looks within limits. whats the tow bar max and the A frame limits?

but the real question is to ask the supplier why its a problem and too explain it in layman's terms

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I have seen a jeep cherokee 4x4 on a tow frame so know it can be done. however the braking system needs to be strong enough to deal with the heavier weight. obviously the more expensive electrical version is better than overrun brakes that rely on the inertia of the tow vehicle slowing to apply them

i am amazed that this has not yet descended into the usual "are they legal" debate

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
(i am amazed that this has not yet descended into the usual "are they legal" debate)

Thought we had all agreed that they were.:reel:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I have seen a jeep cherokee 4x4 on a tow frame so know it can be done. however the braking system needs to be strong enough to deal with the heavier weight. obviously the more expensive electrical version is better than overrun brakes that rely on the inertia of the tow vehicle slowing to apply them

i am amazed that this has not yet descended into the usual "are they legal" debate

Care to quantify that statement ?

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
(i am amazed that this has not yet descended into the usual "are they legal" debate)

Thought we had all agreed that they were.:reel:

Of course they are...........:RollEyes:

Sometimes.....................:RollEyes:

Somewhere....................:RollEyes:

but of course excluding use;

in countries with red in their flags,
during months with the letter y in the name,
at any time when the sky has sun, stars or clouds in it,
and if the toad has a vowel in either it's model's or manufacturer's name.......:winky::winky:

::bigsmile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Care to quantify that statement ?

as i understand it, the better electric braking systems work better for a few reasons. as soon as you touch your brakes on the tow vehicle, the "trailer" starts braking. you can have a handbrake switch fitted so you can apply the Trailer brakes" when doing a hill start. overrun brakes disconnect when reversing the "trailer"

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back