Feb 20, 2013
Gower
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all I need some advice .
I purchased my first motorhome yesterday and want to carry a motorbike in the garage . The garage will take the weight and I will be able to get the bike in . However the back of the bike sticks out about 7inches . Is there any law about a load sticking out the side . Otherwise i will have to change the bike for a shorter one

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
I don't know about the law, but I would say you'll be looking at a new bike:winky:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
depends really on the wide it takes there are width rules, 2.55m
but do you really want to have a bike stuck out its asking for trouble.
how will you close the garage door?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Philiphall

Free Member
Dec 28, 2012
Department 87, Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
A few years now had a break but back with a MH now
I think traffic police would class it as an unsafe load also it would be illegal if it overhung the pavement - as dangerous to pedestrians etc

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
Max width in the UK, for any vehicle, is 2.55m. You say the garage will take the load of a bike but have you checked the back axle is capable also. If your MH is a product of a manufacturer there should be a plate, somewhere on the vehicle with the max weights for each axle.

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
Get a shorter bike or a trailer.
It's possible you will be legal but you will be a prime target for a pull by the law, and as vwalan says, how will you close the door ?
Normal hgv width is 8ft and you are allowed to carry a load up to 9ft 6ins without notification, after that it needs notification from the authorities and marker boards.

I would get a trailer as it is probably the cheapest, and best, option if you want to keep the bike you have. Make sure your licence covers you to pull a trailer if you passed your test after 1997.

OP
OP
B

Biker Brian

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Gower
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I think traffic police would class it as an unsafe load also it would be illegal if it overhung the pavement - as dangerous to pedestrians etc

The bike will stick out about the same distance as the wing mirror on one side . One garage door would have to be locked against the side of the vehicle

OP
OP
B

Biker Brian

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Gower
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Get a shorter bike or a trailer.
It's possible you will be legal but you will be a prime target for a pull by the law, and as vwalan says, how will you close the door ?
Normal hgv width is 8ft and you are allowed to carry a load up to 9ft 6ins without notification, after that it needs notification from the authorities and marker boards.

I would get a trailer as it is probably the cheapest, and best, option if you want to keep the bike you have. Make sure your licence covers you to pull a trailer if you passed your test after 1997.

The total width would be 2.3 metres ,so it looks as if will be legal by your figures . I was hoping to avoid pulling a trailer , so I went for a vehicle that could take a high weight in the garage
Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
B

Biker Brian

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Gower
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Max width in the UK, for any vehicle, is 2.55m. You say the garage will take the load of a bike but have you checked the back axle is capable also. If your MH is a product of a manufacturer there should be a plate, somewhere on the vehicle with the max weights for each axle.

The weight seems O.K. But I have arranged to take it to a weighbridge next week to check.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'm surprised you're even considering leaving the door open! What about the damp and rain that would get in, not to mention having to either leave the bike outside all night or put it in the garage, leave the door open and who knows what or who could get in:Angry:

Change the bike :thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
B

Biker Brian

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Gower
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
I'm surprised you're even considering leaving the door open! What about the damp and rain that would get in, not to mention having to either leave the bike outside all night or put it in the garage, leave the door open and who knows what or who could get in:Angry:

Change the bike :thumb::thumb::thumb:

That,s a good point about the rain and damp . Maybe I,ll have to think about a shorter bike

OP
OP
B

Biker Brian

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Gower
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi all I need some advice .
I purchased my first motorhome yesterday and want to carry a motorbike in the garage . The garage will take the weight and I will be able to get the bike in . However the back of the bike sticks out about 7inches . Is there any law about a load sticking out the side . Otherwise i will have to change the bike for a shorter one

Thanks for all your comments and advice . I have decided to get a shorter bike just for the motorhome and keep my cruiser for my normal biking . I have found I can get a 500cc that will fit in and I can close the doors .

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
Just out of interest. I'm looking for a cruiser motorcycle. Might it be for sale?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i use a chinese dax style .
but i also have a suzuki grasstracker . bit rare . but these days have you thought about a sinnis . this is a 250 built specially in china to a uk company spec . looks just like my suzuki . they are about 1600quid new . cant get mine in the garage as i built it just for the dax size . but it would make a good m,home bike. look on google or ebay.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back