Cupboard under washbasin, removing ? (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Having been out in the van for a week mostly away from sites , have been having a bit of trouble fitting in the shower/toilet compartment , the one in compass mhs and others, the shower is ok but finding somewhere for your legs when sitting on the toilet is a bit tight. On looking at it I was wondering if you can remove the cupboard under the washbasin without the sink falling down, because that would leave a lot more room. Has anyone done this? Not worried about seeing the pipes and stuff, but just wondered in case someone has done it and found it no better.
Thanks

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Yeah , I know but I am either banging my knees on the door or the cupboard, tried opening cupboard door which was better but the edges are sharp:Sad:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Is your washroom like this?

Attachments

• compass avantgarde 400rl washroom.JPG
    compass avantgarde 400rl washroom.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 88
  • compass avantgarde 400rl washroom 2.jpg
    compass avantgarde 400rl washroom 2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 92
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Exactly

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
I'd be thinking twice about trashing the aesthetics of a perfectly good bathroom, unless it could all be eventually refitted for resale.
Perhaps the MH does not quite meet your requirements and you need something with a bigger bathroom.
However, if needs must, perhaps the installation of a "drop down" wall sink unit would free up some space, just a thought...:Smile:

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I'd be thinking twice about trashing the aesthetics of a perfectly good bathroom, unless it could all be eventually refitted for resale.
Perhaps the MH does not quite meet your requirements and you need something with a bigger bathroom.
However, if needs must, perhaps the installation of a "drop down" wall sink unit would free up some space, just a thought...:Smile:

Broken Link Removed

Yeah agree totally . We had a drop down sink in the old van, to be honest we don't use the sink or the cupboard at all just the shower and use the sink in the van but the tap to the shower is combined with the wash basin so didn't want to alter the sink if poss. Julie has no probs with the toilet, (her legs are about half the length of mine) and I can manage but thought a bit more room would make this van perfect.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Is your washroom like this?

Yes that's it, got it out today , no probs , can't believe how much more room there is, and that no one has done the same, put a photo on when I have finished it , got to get something to support the tap now and we are done. No basin now obviously but never used it anyway, just the shower:Smile:

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
We look forward to the photo's.
We have a slightly different problem & layout & have approached a couple of caravan/motorhome repairers, but they don't seem interested in the job, so I am planning to totally re build our washroom over the next winter.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi, must say when i did the inside of my trailer i didnt put a sink in the toilet /shower room . a few say they would miss it . i dont and the extra space makes life much easier . plus less to freeze or go wrong . i do think many of the converters try to suit folk but dont really ask whats wanted or needed .

stevensson10

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
normanton
Funster No
MH
fiat ducatti auto rller 5
Exp
im a newbie
shower

we manage to fit in ours ok but it is a big motorhome but if your not bothered about showing the pipes and things I don't see any problems. if that was the case with us I wouldn't hesitate id take it out so let us know how you go on regards steve n sue:thumb:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
we manage to fit in ours ok but it is a big motorhome but if your not bothered about showing the pipes and things I don't see any problems. if that was the case with us I wouldn't hesitate id take it out so let us know how you go on regards steve n sue:thumb:

Now I have got it out , it is going to be easier than I thought, hopefully it will look like its always been like that, left no mark on the wall or anything and the walls are all trimmed even where the sink was, all I have to do is make a sort of 3cornered shelf with a hole in to hold the original shower tap, leave it for a day or two now just to make sure I have got it right, but the toilet for me is perfect now.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
We look forward to the photo's.
We have a slightly different problem & layout & have approached a couple of caravan/motorhome repairers, but they don't seem interested in the job, so I am planning to totally re build our washroom over the next winter.

Yes I have had that, they just don't seem to know what you are on about, yet, it must be a problem for many people who just put up with it.

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Where do you wash your hands after using the toilet if the sink in the kitchen is being used?

Well there only the two of us, so not going to be big problem and the kitchen sink is right outside the toilet door but one of the things I am looking at before fitting everything back in is a dropdown sink like we had in our old van if I can fit one in without getting back to the original problem of room :Smile:

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Don't know if this worked, so bear with me, but if it has it is the photo that minx put on and you will see how little room there was but now the whole cupboard and sink is gone its a full size shower

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is where I'm at , look at the room!!!! No sorry that's the prototype corner bit , a piece of PVC facia

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is the photo I should have had on my last post, this is what the shower room looks like now:thumb:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 56

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
built mine with no sink 13 yrs ago . cant say theres a problem .like chaser the sink is in the kitchen right by the shower room door . if its being used it wont be for more than a few minutes . you wont die in that time .i hope. but user can fill a pot for you to wash hands in . think around a problem .dont struggle with it .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
simple answer to no sink is a pack of baby wipes :thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what babies . we aint got any . mind they cook well on an open bbq .
we wipe them with tomato ketchup. ha ha .

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Nice simple job to box in pipes with your PVC window board then fit a small sink higher up if needed
terry

OP
OP
chaser
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Nice simple job to box in pipes with your PVC window board then fit a small sink higher up if needed
terry

Yes done it with some PVC lining boards from a bathroom , looks good now if I do say it myself

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 23

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back