Dogs banned on buses in Herefordshire (1 Viewer)

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
:shout:We had a shock this weekend, found a nice site near Hereford, bus stop right outside with bused to the main towns and also some of the country parks. Went to get on the bus and found that throughout the county certain bus companies have now banned dogs. So much for going green and encouraging us to use public transport. Herefordshire take note, many campers have dogs and enjoy taking them for walks in the country. This is one county that we will avoid in the future:whatthe:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I don't see a problem with a well behaved dog on a bus if you pay for a ticket.
You are taking up a space after all. Unless its small enough to go on your knee.

Maybe its a blanket ban to save confrontation between the driver and passenger , if a big smelly , or vicious looking dog tried to board.
Saying that , on the rare occasion we have caught a bus with our dogs we have never had a problem .
Its always been "up North" when we have though.:ROFLMAO:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
:shout:We had a shock this weekend, found a nice site near Hereford, bus stop right outside with bused to the main towns and also some of the country parks. Went to get on the bus and found that throughout the county certain bus companies have now banned dogs. So much for going green and encouraging us to use public transport. Herefordshire take note, many campers have dogs and enjoy taking them for walks in the country. This is one county that we will avoid in the future:whatthe:

was it yeomans buses by any chance?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dogeared

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
:Sad: Lug Valley buses, but I was told that yeoman are also banning dogs

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I recall there was a problem locally when a muslim bus driver refused to allow a guide dog on his bus for "religious reasons". so maybe the bus companies are banning dogs to accomodate those who object on such grounds? crazy if you ask me as historically dogs have always been allowed before and it is for the minority to adjust to the culture of their host country not the other way round.

for me, i would like to see dogs still carried on busses provided they are clean and well behaved. banning all dogs including guide dogs is no different to banning wheelchair users or parents with pushchairs and children.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I love dogs but I don't really want to see them on buses or any other public transport. the transport is for people... ( guide dogs aside obviously).

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The Muslim bus/taxi drivers incidents were fairly uncommon weren't they? The Muslim Council of Britain was quoted as saying that they should have more common sense and at least one tax driver has been prosecuted under the DDA for refusing to allow a guide dog.

Assistance dogs are normally clean and well behaved but the trouble comes with some (and their owners) which are not. Some owners allow their dogs to sit on seats and/or rub up against the legs of others, leaving hairs all over them.

Bus companies have to make the required provision for assistance dogs but otherwise, just like any other private company, they have every right to run their businesses as they see fit - and if we don't like it we vote with our feet.

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Deal with it !!

:shout:We had a shock this weekend, found a nice site near Hereford, bus stop right outside with bused to the main towns and also some of the country parks. Went to get on the bus and found that throughout the county certain bus companies have now banned dogs. So much for going green and encouraging us to use public transport. Herefordshire take note, many campers have dogs and enjoy taking them for walks in the country. [HI]This is one county that we will avoid in the future[/HI]:whatthe:

Herefordshire is a beautiful and serene county ! I lived there for many years !!:thumb:

I am assured that there are numerous taxi firms in that fair county that would clamour for your patronage !!:Blush::Blush::Blush:

Don't knock the whole County just because you couldn't get on a bus :Doh:

p.s...........:hardhat:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
DOGS and BUSES

When in the fair County of Cornwall I use the bus from Perranporth to Newquay. No driving or parking.
The service is run by Western Greyhound who are friendly and do NOT charge or have a problem with my dog.
I sit with him between my feet and we both behave.
Another good reason to go to Cornwall where I'll be heading in 14 days.
HURRAH.......................

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
HURRAH.......................[/QUOTE]

Found Cornwall motorhome unfriendly and campsites expansive, not going back in a hurry, just my experience.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
HURRAH.......................

Found Cornwall motorhome unfriendly and campsites expansive, not going back in a hurry, just my experience.[/QUOTE]

And it rains all the time.:Smile:

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Dogs

I love dogs but I don't really want to see them on buses or any other public transport. the transport is for people... ( guide dogs aside obviously).

Thanks for that, I expect there are many people, me included, with small well behaved dogs who take exception to such an ill thought out generality. What possible reason could anyone have for not wanting to see a decently behaved dog on public transport.

My dog, and I am sure, many others, cause far less trouble than some people on public transport. My dog sits quietly, it does not swear or shout at the top of it's voice or drop litter, neither does it clout people with a backpack as it passes and it does not have to be put in a ridiculous huge "designer" buggy.

Transport is for people and people who have well behaved dogs should be allowed to use public transport with them, provided the welfare of the dog is properly considered. Those in charge of the particular mode of transport have the power and opportunity to ask people with dogs who do not behave to leave, the same way they can ask disruptive people to leave.

Not allowing dogs on public transport when their owners have no option but to take the dog with them amounts to banning the owner from using the service.

God save us from petty blanket rules and sledgehammers to crack nuts.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Thanks for that, I expect there are many people, me included, with small well behaved dogs who take exception to such an ill thought out generality. [HI]What possible reason[/HI] could anyone have for not wanting to see a decently behaved dog on public transport. (snip)

I suffer from allergic asthma and one of the triggers is dogs. Even a small, well behaved, dog can be a danger in a confined space, especially if it is moulting.

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I suffer from allergic asthma and one of the triggers is dogs. Even a small, well behaved, dog can be a danger in a confined space, especially if it is moulting.

You have my sympathy, must be horrible for you. A good reason for your not wanting to be near a dog on public transport. But, I expect you are the exception rather than the rule.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
The last time I took a dog on a bus was when it was A SERVICE run by the local authority,the dog had to be taken upstairs with the smokers AND they charged full fair for the dog!

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Unfortunately some owners don't look after their dogs and they have fleas & worms and worse. Personally I choose to avoid all contact as much as possible with dogs especially stinky slobbery ones.....and would certainly not let one in my home.

I think not having a dog on a bus is good practice, for those who dont share the love of them or what they carry or indeed are allegic to their fur. And I am sure even the best trained ones could accidently do a pee or dump and who is going to clear all that up ? :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Thanks for that, I expect there are many people, me included, with small well behaved dogs who take exception to such an ill thought out generality. What possible reason could anyone have for not wanting to see a decently behaved dog on public transport.

My dog, and I am sure, many others, cause far less trouble than some people on public transport. My dog sits quietly, it does not swear or shout at the top of it's voice or drop litter, neither does it clout people with a backpack as it passes and it does not have to be put in a ridiculous huge "designer" buggy.

Transport is for people and people who have well behaved dogs should be allowed to use public transport with them, provided the welfare of the dog is properly considered. Those in charge of the particular mode of transport have the power and opportunity to ask people with dogs who do not behave to leave, the same way they can ask disruptive people to leave.

Not allowing dogs on public transport when their owners have no option but to take the dog with them amounts to banning the owner from using the service.

God save us from petty blanket rules and sledgehammers to crack nuts.

well sorry my views aren't the same as yours.. but they are my views and no ill thought out generality.
maybe you need to take others views on board a little more instead of launching rants at people with differing views..
I love dogs.. but don't really want to see them on public transport... sorry

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
How is a view "ill thought out" just because it differs?
These are simply differences of opinion.
Many folk dont like the idea of dogs on public transport, myself included.
I'm not a dog hater, just dont want them in my space on a bus, small or otherwise.
It is no different to allowing a sheep or a vietnamese pot bellied pig on a bus. (They can be family pets, too.)
Why should those who dont want them on a bus have to suffer them?

Leave the dog at home or take a taxi if you can find one to take it.

Like taxi firms, the bus companies are private carriers and as such have the right to carry / refuse whoever and whatever they choose.

beachcaster

Free Member
Dec 18, 2010
east sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
a few years

The thing is its a lot of dog owners that are the problem and should be banned not only from buses but from having dogs at all !

They don't pick up their dogs doos..........the ones round here pick it up and put it in plastic bags then hang the bags on bushes......some think everyone loves dogs....."don't worry he wont bite"..........others leave them in their caravans or motorhomes when they go out....and the barking drives me nuts.

So lets let the dogs on buses but ban their owners

barry:Smile:

Jan 3, 2008
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
well sorry my views aren't the same as yours.. but they are my views and no ill thought out generality.
maybe you need to take others views on board a little more instead of launching rants at people with differing views..
I love dogs.. but don't really want to see them on public transport... sorry

Each to their own, you expressed a view, I expressed an opposing one. We each have the freedom the express whatever view we wish and to disagree with others. If we do express a view we should expect that others may disagree and be prepared to accept the odd rant, particularly on sensitive subjects.

No doubt you stand by your view as I do mine. I might have understood it better had you given some reasoning for not wanting to see dogs on public transport.

We are not going to agree, so lets agree to disagree.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Unfortunately some owners don't look after their dogs and they [HI]have fleas & worms and worse[/HI]. Personally I choose to avoid all contact as much as possible with dogs especially stinky slobbery ones.....and would certainly not let one in my home.

I think not having a dog on a bus is good practice, for those who dont share the love of them or what they carry or indeed are allegic to their fur. And I am sure even the best trained ones could accidently do a pee or dump and who is going to clear all that up ? :ROFLMAO: :thumb:

as do quite a lot of people....::bigsmile:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Why should those who dont want them on a bus have to suffer them?

Possibly for the same reason that those of us who don't want kids, teenagers, old ladies with enormous shopping trolleys, old men with dubious hygiene, etc. on a bus have to suffer them. They are all part of society's rich tapestry (ha!) - as are people with dogs. :Smile:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
But most people are not likely to pee or crap on a bus, and those that do generally wear Tennas........ :thumb:
the late bus on friday and saturday nights often had younger people with a continence issue fueled by alcohol abuse from what i remember. vomit, urine, faeces and used condoms were often seen upstairs at the back of the bus. just one reason that i rarely travel by bus these days. i would rather a bus full of well behaved dogs and their people than a group of offensive yobs who act like they own the place too.

i cant recall ever seeing a dog foul a bus either as has been suggested. dogs are clean by nature and other than allergies, it always seems that the dog hating minority ignore this when excusing their paranoia.

as somebody famous once said, the more people I meet the more I love my dog :ROFLMAO:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
yes.. my dog was definitely my best friend.. he loved me to bits.. and I felt the same way about him.. he was well behaved and clean.. but in 13 years I never even considered taking him on public transport.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Possibly for the same reason that those of us who don't want kids, teenagers, old ladies with enormous shopping trolleys, old men with dubious hygiene, etc. on a bus have to suffer them. They are all part of society's rich tapestry (ha!) - as are people with dogs. :Smile:

Quite agree, maz.
The argument is almost the same.
The difference is the bus service is provided for people, not dogs, and the OP was about banning dogs from buses, not old men (not women?) with dubious hygiene
Referring to my earlier post...
would you object to my pet, a pot bellied pig, sharing your double seat?
After all, I would pay for his ticket, he is well behaved, I always pick his crap up and he understands every word I say.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
dogs are clean by nature and other than allergies, it always seems that the dog hating minority ignore this when excusing their paranoia.

as somebody famous once said, the more people I meet the more I love my dog :ROFLMAO:

if dogs were clean they would bury it like cats do, instead of kicking it about after they have dumped it :Eeek: that is the complete opposite of clean!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back