Paloma PH-5-3F burst water pipe fix (1 Viewer)

thebobajob

Free Member
Jun 19, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Highwayman
Exp
Newbie mistake of forgetting to drain the Paloma PH-5-3F water heater for the winter in our Highwayman van has cost us a burst copper pipe on the water cold inlet inside the water heater.

Since this is just a copper pipe section would a home repair using compression couplers be OK for this or is something more radical involved?

Any help would be most appreciated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Prob better to solder it :winky:
terry

Sort of depends what's nearby.

I'm surprised you could get a compression fitting in, these things are so tight. At least with compression, if it leaks you just tighten a bit more.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
I had the same problem.

I stripped the insulation off some electrical wire and wrapped the multi-stranded wire around the split pipe and then ran solder all over it with a blow torch.

Good as new and lasted for years...

JJ :Cool:

OP
OP
T

thebobajob

Free Member
Jun 19, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Highwayman
Exp
Space is a bit tight but I think I could fit a compression fitting in. The main problem would actually be having the space to cut the pipe and carry out the work. I also tried undoing the nut at the end of the pipe and, realising how flimsy it all is inside, quickly gave up.

I shall, therefore, attempt JJ's 'bodge' fix (no offence intended) as it sounds the easiest for me to complete in the short timescale I have and with the tools available and without too much instrusive work into the water heater.

Thanks ever so much for your quick replies. My £10 subscription has been worth it after only one posting!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Let us know how you get on - good luck with the fix.:thumb:

OP
OP
T

thebobajob

Free Member
Jun 19, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Highwayman
Exp
Will do. Got to fix the toilet flush pump first or the kids will keeping moaning that they keep having to walk to the toilet block (lazy tykes)!:cry:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I had the same problem.

I stripped the insulation off some electrical wire and wrapped the multi-stranded wire around the split pipe and then ran solder all over it with a blow torch.

Good as new and lasted for years...

That's bodging on an epic scale. Well done that man.

Thinking about it again, low pressure, I'm a great fan of Plastic Padding Chemical Metal, it's &*^^%%$& strong, now there's a cold way of doing it. I've also seen something similar in B&Q, the usual two part epoxy putty stick sold specifically for water leaks.

OP
OP
T

thebobajob

Free Member
Jun 19, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Highwayman
Exp
Hmm, I will investigate that. I like the idea of a cold solution rather than messing with a blow torch near all the other delicate stuff. Thanks!

barrybus

Free Member
Mar 3, 2011
St.Neots Cambs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 1993
Dodgy repairs read on !!!

After more than 50 years as a plumber,my favourite bit of bodge it kit is milliput.Fantastic bit of kit a real get out gaol card,sets under water,good under pressure,does just what it says on the box. Barrybus:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
T

thebobajob

Free Member
Jun 19, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Highwayman
Exp
Well thanks to you all, the fix worked. I use a pair of pliers to gently squeeze the pipe back into shape and get the gap as small as possible. Then I smothered the pipe, all the way round, in Unibond metal repair and hey presto, no leak in the pipe.

The ONLY problem is - it wasn't the only leak. Water now pours out from he top at the back and also it looks like a seal has blown in a lower section as it is leaking there and there is flapping plastic in the joint of the section.

I think the water heater has had it's day.

Does anyone know a rough cost of a replacement water heater and fitting otherwise our summer holidays are in jeopardy? :cry:

Would there be a simple way of bypassing the water heater and taking that out of the loop for now? At the moment we can't even turn on the water pump so we can't use any water in the van. If we could bypass the boiler at least there would be cold running water instead of none.

What a stupid costly mistake!

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi simply disconect the water supply and put a stop end on the disconected pipe :thumb:
There is a funster who gets Paloma type heaters when he is in Morroco then sells them to help fund his travels but I cannot remember who it it /was ::bigsmile:
terry

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i wonder who that is .
they are auto ignition ,dont need a pilot light .
buthave you seen these

have to say that these take some beating . i dont bring the maroc ones in now easier to use these. easy to fit .hang on a wall just like the others , remove handle and lid .Link Removed

Last edited:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Hmm, I will investigate that. I like the idea of a cold solution rather than messing with a blow torch near all the other delicate stuff. Thanks!

When I did mine I took the heater out and stripped it down before carrying out the repair...

Glad to see you are all sorted now...

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thebobajob

Free Member
Jun 19, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Highwayman
Exp
they are auto ignition ,dont need a pilot light . but have you seen these
Portable-6L-GAS-LPG-PROPANE-TANKLESS-INSTANT-HOT-WATER-HEATER-BOILER-Lightweight

This looks like a great, more modern solution, thanks. And this could be a direct permanent replacement in our van as long it was properly installed to the water and gas?

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yes i saw them a few months back . i would fabricate a chimney funnel perhaps . but they do have screw fixings on the back. the water heaters i used to bring back were almost the same but with a chimney out let .
i have not got a chimney on mine .did it years agio before the rules .but only use it for a quick shower so arent too worried . but dont fit it in the shower room .
mind mine is a morco . when i went to maroc saw the ones there and thought make a shilling . not worth it these days as those are so cheap. not difficult to fit gas they use flex y . water is easy .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back