Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
We have had a faulty gas bottle ... Hope its that and not the connector ...
Now we are in south France and need new one but can't see red canisters anywhere

Any advice from the wise and experienced please ?

At least we have a spare
Anna & Mark

OP
OP
annadg

annadg

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I'm new to it
I doubt it will be a bottle problem,what is the fault?

Basically we had smell of gas and it ran out very fast!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

DIY test is mix up some washing up liquid and water and dribble all over joints. You'll see the bubbles if there's a leak.

If you mean UK red Calor bottles, I don't think you'll find any in France. Alternative is buy a French regulator and French bottle.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
Have you tried going round all your gas connections with a little washing up liquid and water to check for leak? i had a leak a few weeks ago on my gaslow system found a few bubbles on one of the conections a quick tifhten up done the job. Hope this info helps.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
We have had a faulty gas bottle ... Hope its that and not the connector ...
Now we are in south France and need new one but can't see red canisters anywhere

Any advice from the wise and experienced please ?

At least we have a spare
Anna & Mark
you wont find any in France....or anywhere else in Europe.

although the gas is the same the bottles are nationality specific......not the same.

as Brian said, you need a French bottle and regulator or the multi-national disposable Camping gaz bottle (very uneconomical) and regulator

Apr 9, 2013
Ayr
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp

Where was the smell of gas? In the gas locker or in the van? If the latter, you really shouldn't be using any more gas at all!

If it was in the gas locker, I would check your flexible hoses, regulator and tank connectors before suspecting a faulty tank. Far more likely that your system is faulty rather than the tank.

Tim

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I agree with all what has been said ......a smell of gas get:Eeek: it checked...call at any motorhome place in France....or the DIY soapy liquid method if the motorhome shops are closed, as Wednesday and Thursday this week are French holidays.....if a smell of gas it is advisable to turn the bottles off and not use the gas......untill you have been given the all clear
If it is the bottle (which is very unlikely)....
You could buy a tail like the picture below to connect to your regulator to a french bottle..both are female nut type connectors....it would be the same tail or similar tail in the uk you would use for butane...but in France this also fits the propane and then purchase a French Propane bottle from any supermarket....just make sure the bottle will fit in your gas locker as bottle size's do vary.....
Send a PM to Dave Newel a fellow funster and lpg gas certified agent just to varify what I am saying about the butane pipe is correct.

Also if you require info on motorhome shops address's...call at a supermarket and buy a motorhome mag...(look in it first to make sure it has them inside)...at the back on most motorhome magazines is a list of agents /makes of motorhomes being sold in the departments in France...... look for the dept you are in for example...40, 64, 65, 09, 66, 34, 13, or 83....these are some of depts in the south of France it will show the agents selling the different makes of motorhomes...get the address of any and get your gas checked out:thumb:

$(KGrHqZHJCwE7z!5ZQ-fBP!yccYezw~~60_12.JPG

If you are not sure what dept your are in here is a link...
http://www.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=...sH4rP0AWg3IDwBA&sqi=2&ved=0CEsQ9QEwBQ&dur=637

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We get our gas from Carrefour - 1 euro deposit and about 23 euros for 13kg. Sometimes with free regulator... :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back