Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
My 2002 Hymer B544 Classic is platted thus:

3400KG (which I take as being max weight all up loaded etc)
5400KG (which I take as being max weight including a trailer?)
1. 1750KG (which I take as being front axle)
2. 1900KG (which I take as being the rear axle)

I'm intending to take take it past a weighbridge to frighten the life out of myself but before I do can someone advise me how I have most likely got all the above wrong...in plain English would be good please :Blush:

I just want to know what my unladen and laden weight should be.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
cant tell from your plate what the unladen weight should be but those are max axle weights and your gross weight, not including trailer is 3400kgs.

when i weigh the van i filled it with everything as normal including fuel gas and water ( depending how much you normally carry ) and you, then get it gross weighed and by axle if they can. then add the missing bits, wife, dog etc youll then know how much you need to off load to get to weight or in unlikely circumstances how much spare payload you have.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
You have got it right.

On the w/bridge they will probably give you two weighings for the price ....
so first weigh the whole van then move forward so your front wheels are just clear of the platform and then get a reading for the rear The front loading is a simple matter of maths.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Thanks for that...I have just translated something from the specifications refering to "distribution of masses on the axles" as being 1540 on the front and 1580 on the rear. That would total 3120 which if then taken away from the 3400 would be 280KG. Could that be :Doh:my load limit...gulp!

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Yoiu have it spot on.

Dont worry about unladen weight. It is a manufacturer's statement and cannot be determined at a weighbridge.
To do so would be to put the vehicle back into it's "straight off the production line" state with no liquids, tools, driver, etc.
The only significance of ULW is to decide whether or not the vehicle is a motor car or a heavy motor car (like a bus), and to determine whether the vehicle can be parked without lights on certain roads.
"unloaded" or "tare" weight isnt the same as "unladen".

Weigh it before you load up to determine payload, then weigh it again after loading to check you are legal.
Dont forget to weigh both times with yourself and any passengers in it.
Simple as that.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
Thanks for that...I have just translated something from the specifications refering to "distribution of masses on the axles" as being 1540 on the front and 1580 on the rear. That would total 3120 which if then taken away from the 3400 would be 280KG.[HI] Could that be :Doh:my load limit...gulp[/HI] !

Yep! best start dieting.:winky:

Don't forget to weigh the m/h in fully loaded condition as if you were on your hols, including fuel, water, passengers & pets etc.:Doh:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
You have got it right.

On the w/bridge they will probably give you two weighings for the price ....
so first weigh the whole van then move forward so your front wheels are just clear of the platform and then get a reading for the rear The front loading is a simple matter of maths.

I am toying with the idea of having a play on a weighbridge - there are 2 near Exeter which is where I'll be later this week. Am I right in thinking that with a TAG axle I should weigh the whole van then the front axle - and assume the difference is shared pretty evenly by the two rear axles?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
A time consuming method of determining payload....

empty out the van of ALL items you usually carry and ensure a FULL FUEL TANK.

if you travel with water then add that as well.

now go get it weighed.

deduct the weight from the vans gross weight limit, as stated on the vin plate.

the result is your payload

then you need to weigh all items as they are put back onboard.....including passengers.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Yoiu have it spot on.

Dont worry about unladen weight. It is a manufacturer's statement and cannot be determined at a weighbridge.
To do so would be to put the vehicle back into it's "straight off the production line" state with no liquids, tools, driver, etc.
The only significance of ULW is to decide whether or not the vehicle is a motor car or a heavy motor car (like a bus), and to determine whether the vehicle can be parked without lights on certain roads.

Weigh it before you load up to determine payload, then weigh it again after loading to check you are legal.
Simple as that.

I think you have it wrong slightly. The un-laden weight is the vehicle weight as it left the factory PLUS and added permanent extras such as satellite dishes, Gas Tank, inbuilt generator, etc.

My vehicle had an unladed weight on its ticket (ex Hymer factory) of 3380kg With additions it weighed in at 3460kg Its max laden weight is 4600kg or 5900kg max train weight.

DVLA used the 3380kg weight to determine the road tax instead of the 4600kg that it should have been. It took a few visits to the local office to get it sorted as PHGV instead of LGV. This made the road tax cheaper.

If you only have a B licence then remember it is the weight as it appears on the weighbridge at that time that counts, if you are stopped for overloading, not what is on the plate, or any ticket you have from a previous weighing. Over 3500kg and you are driving without a licence or insurance.

C1 licence required for weight over 3500kg.

John

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Yoiu have it spot on.

Simple as that.

I think you have it wrong slightly. The un-laden weight is the vehicle weight as it left the factory PLUS and added permanent extras such as satellite dishes, Gas Tank, inbuilt generator, etc.

My vehicle had an unladed weight on its ticket (ex Hymer factory) of 3380kg With additions it weighed in at 3460kg Its max laden weight is 4600kg or 5900kg max train weight.

DVLA used the 3380kg weight to determine the road tax instead of the 4600kg that it should have been. It took a few visits to the local office to get it sorted as PHGV instead of PLG. This made the road tax cheaper.

If you only have a B licence then remember it is the weight as it appears on the weighbridge at that time that counts, if you are stopped for overloading, not what is on the plate, or any ticket you have from a previous weighing. Over 3500kg and you are driving without a licence or insurance.

C1 licence required for weight over 3500kg.

John

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I am toying with the idea of having a play on a weighbridge - there are 2 near Exeter which is where I'll be later this week. Am I right in thinking that with a TAG axle I should weigh the whole van then the front axle - and assume the difference is shared pretty evenly by the two rear axles?

Never having a tag axle that has never occured to me Maz, but I think you are right that you would weigh the front axle as it would be nigh on impossible to weigh your rear axles separately on a normal bridge. I assume both your rear axles are rated the same capacity as each other.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Never having a tag axle that has never occured to me Maz, but I think you are right that you would weigh the front axle as it would be nigh on impossible to weigh your rear axles separately on a normal bridge. I assume both your rear axles are rated the same capacity as each other.

Yes, each rear axle is rated at 1500kg. Front at 2100kg.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
A time consuming method of determining payload....
empty out the van of ALL items you usually carry and ensure a FULL FUEL TANK.
if you travel with water then add that as well.
now go get it weighed.
deduct the weight from the vans gross weight limit, as stated on the vin plate.
the result is your payload
then you need to weigh all items as they are put back onboard.....including passengers.

Just what we did with our last van and it didn't leave us much, summer travelling with loungers and BBQ on board meant I had to leave the wife at home.
:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back