herbies

Free Member
Apr 17, 2013
somewhere in south devon
Funster No
MH
hymer b694
Exp
I apologise if this question has been asked ad nausea but Im thinking of putting in a SOG kit thought i would check out the current thinking on this.
It seems a lot of money for a plastic hose and a vent

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But a beautifully engineered tube and motor and load of other bits.

Excellent buy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Aug 29, 2012
North Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Panel van conversion
Exp
since 2011
I apologise if this question has been asked ad nausea but Im thinking of putting in a SOG kit thought i would check out the current thinking on this.
It seems a lot of money for a plastic hose and a vent
If it seems a lot of money for a plastic hose and a fan, wait until you save a fortune on chemicals and special toilet paper!!
I fitted this system a couple of years ago and I cannot imagine having to use special chemicals etc., it is just so easy to use. Apart from changing the charcoal filter every year there is no maintenance whatsoever.
If you find the stench unbearable when you empty the cassette, :ROFLMAO:
just pour a small amount of bio washing liquid into the toilet just before emptying and this kills any odour.

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
Yes I think its expensive.

But for me well worth it.

But you can build your own if you are handy.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Broken Link Removed
1 x 3 1/2 ins comp fan used instead of the 2 smaller fans :thumb: cost zero :thumb:still working after 6 yrs :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Last edited:
Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I have seen Brian Hilldweller's SOG and it looks a well engineered bit of

Serious question:

Help me out here. have I got this right?
A SOG unit will expell the odorous gases whilst the loo is in use. (Look for an outlet before you park near one?)
In emptying the cassette, some form of deodoriser is still required to kill the smell of the contents, so less, rather than no chemical / whatever is used?
Is that the deal?

The principle sounds great but the practice doesnt sound much different except for no smells in the van, the benefit of these being given to whoever is parked downwind.
Potentially a bit antisocial?

Is it overall a beneficial bit of kit, or just another toy?

Good topic for Sunday lunchtime, eh?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
In emptying the cassette, some form of deodoriser is still required to kill the smell of the contents

Why ?

It's a grim job at best. It lasts a few seconds. I can take that.

We use no chemicals at all.

And the kit:

External moulding, filter.
Inside a quality little fan unit.
A cable harness with microswitch on a bracket.
A pipe. Beautifully made with quality plastic.
An adaptor to replace the normal cassette vent.
A blank cap to replace the tube whilst dumping.
Goo instructions.
German quality.

It is not a rip off.

Upvote 0

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
If it seems a lot of money for a plastic hose and a fan, wait until you save a fortune on chemicals and special toilet paper!!
I fitted this system a couple of years ago and I cannot imagine having to use special chemicals etc., it is just so easy to use. Apart from changing the charcoal filter every year there is no maintenance whatsoever.
If you find the stench unbearable when you empty the cassette, :ROFLMAO:
just pour a small amount of bio washing liquid into the toilet just before emptying and this kills any odour.

Or buy the liquid from here - £1.60 for two weeks supply (emptied daily) with ordinary toilet tissue.

Steve

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
I have seen Brian Hilldweller's SOG and it looks a well engineered bit of

Serious question:

Help me out here. have I got this right?
A SOG unit will expell the odorous gases whilst the loo is in use. (Look for an outlet before you park near one?)
In emptying the cassette, some form of deodoriser is still required to kill the smell of the contents, so less, rather than no chemical / whatever is used?
Is that the deal?

The principle sounds great but the practice doesnt sound much different except for no smells in the van, the benefit of these being given to whoever is parked downwind.
Potentially a bit antisocial?

Is it overall a beneficial bit of kit, or just another toy?

Good topic for Sunday lunchtime, eh?

As Brian has already said no chemicals needed -- Just to make things clearer when you open the sluce it turns the fan (via micro switch)on sucking in air from the bowl bit so you should get no smells entering the loo ::bigsmile:When you had done your jobby etc, you close the sluce and this in turn turns the fan off :thumb: job done ::bigsmile:IF you are getting smells from the outside bit then the charcoal filter needs changing :Smile:
If you think the casstte smells bad that is when some posh folk stick in some bio liquid :Smile: but basicaly you empty the casstte every day or two just as normal and if that gets up your nose there is not much you can do about it :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry
edit forgot to say we only use Charmin loo rolls :ROFLMAO: SOFT ON MY BOTTY ::bigsmile:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
All is explianed.
Didnt realise there were filters etc.
Sounds like a good bit of kit even if only to keep smells from the van.
Thanks folks.

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
All is explianed.
Didnt realise there were filters etc.
Sounds like a good bit of kit even if only to keep smells from the van.
Thanks folks.

Did you see my DIY SOG link ? very easy to make one :thumb: and even if you had to buy all components it would only cost around 25 quid ish - very easy DIY :thumb:::bigsmile:
terry
Bath overflow x 2 £4
micro switch £3
light switch/blank £2
Comp 3 1/2 fan £5
wire /silicon/sup glue £5
charcoal filter

Last edited:
Upvote 0

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Use of deoderising liquid or not, I'm beginning to think this is a good bit of kit, even if only to get an odour free "function".:thumb:

Upvote 0

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
As Brian has already said no chemicals needed -- Just to make things clearer when you open the sluce it turns the fan (via micro switch)on sucking in air from the bowl bit so you should get no smells entering the loo ::bigsmile:When you had done your jobby etc, you close the sluce and this in turn turns the fan off :thumb: job done ::bigsmile:IF you are getting smells from the outside bit then the charcoal filter needs changing :Smile:
If you think the casstte smells bad that is when some posh folk stick in some bio liquid :Smile: but basicaly you empty the casstte every day or two just as normal and if that gets up your nose there is not much you can do about it :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:
terry
edit forgot to say we only use Charmin loo rolls :ROFLMAO: SOFT ON MY BOTTY ::bigsmile:

It seems like you spend more on toilet paper than I do on chemicals!!!!

Upvote 0

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If you like the whole camp site to know when you use the toilet: Go for it lol

Basically every time you flush air is brought from the inside of the van, into the "potty" bit across what is ever in there and straight outside.

So if your loo is on your caravan door side, every time you "flush" you "waft" :winky:

Oh and in hot weather, it makes it a joy to empty as it stinks to high heaven. If the answer to this is to put some chemical into the "potty" bit why bother with pipes and bits of plastic in the first place?

The tank is only open for the time it takes to "flush" so any smells inside the motorhome are more likely to be bottom emanating than tank smells.

I hate them personally too fiddly and seem superfluous in the extreme. There was a big argument on here recently about how social/anti social grey water was, what about a poo smell wafting around your BBQ every time your neighbour empties their bladder or bowels :winky:

Just an opinion

Eddie

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It seems like you spend more on toilet paper than I do on chemicals!!!!

Charmin £7.50 for 24 :thumb: a lot cheaper and better than the proper loo rolls for chemical loos at nearly £2 for four :Eeek:::bigsmile:
terry
Peter @ JCM no smells emitted just hear the fan purring away in use :thumb:They all smell on empting -but don't panic I am teaching my 7 yr old g/son how to empty the loo :ROFLMAO:::bigsmile:

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Eddie

So that's a no vote from Eddie.

But what about inside, better the smell briefly, if at all, wafting past your neighbours than stuck inside the van peeling the veneer off the walls.

Ours is on the back wall but I guess you have a good point if the toilet is next to the hab door or main window.

The fan does not have to go in the hatch, depending on build you could route it round a corner or even on to the roof using a chimney type outlet.

The cassette is normally equipped with an open vent for pressure equalisation, it can vent next to the cassette or in our Burstner it had a half inch flexy tube routed underneath.

Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2009
Leyland Lancs
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2001

Basically every time you flush air is brought from the inside of the van, into the "potty" bit across what is ever in there and straight outside.

So if your loo is on your caravan door side, every time you "flush" you "waft" :winky:

Oh and in hot weather, it makes it a joy to empty as it stinks to high heaven. If the answer to this is to put some chemical into the "potty" bit why bother with pipes and bits of plastic in the first place?

The tank is only open for the time it takes to "flush" so any smells inside the motorhome are more likely to be bottom emanating than tank smells.

I hate them personally too fiddly and seem superfluous in the extreme. There was a big argument on here recently about how social/anti social grey water was, what about a poo smell wafting around your BBQ every time your neighbour empties their bladder or bowels :winky:

Just an opinion

Eddie

Some of the smells from BBQ's are worse than those expelled from SOG's.:ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Just make sure it doesn't blow out into your awning. Chemicals are not expensive, a bottle of tesco bio will last a month for £1.50 or less. Use ordinary loo paper, it breaks down just as well and you'd need to use it anyway. The filter on a SOG does need changing regularly and costs £10 a throw, whether it lasts a year is up to your nose :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back