Heaters in empty awnings, why? (1 Viewer)

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Why do people do that?

Camping at C & CC West Runton with Mr & Mrs Grumpy Caravaners in front of us - she obviously can't smile and thinks we've just escaped from the moterhome loony bin. OK we did take rather along time to pitch due to the sloping site but hey we got there in the end, after many dark looks from Mrs Caravan. :Doh:

Mr & Mrs Caravan 3 pitches up have gone out and left the heater on in their awning, what a waste.:Angry:

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Why do people do that?

Camping at C & CC West Runton with Mr & Mrs Grumpy Caravaners in front of us - she obviously can't smile and thinks we've just escaped from the moterhome loony bin. OK we did take rather along time to pitch due to the sloping site but hey we got there in the end, after many dark looks from Mrs Caravan. :Doh:

Mr & Mrs Caravan 3 pitches up have gone out and left the heater on in their awning, what a waste.:Angry:

Funny you should mention this, there was a thread on the CC website about this recently .........must be a caravan thing. We noticed it at Newcastleton in March, the people next pitch to us had a caravan and an awning. We think they kept the dog in the awning when they were in their mh.:RollEyes:

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Amy.

You should have sneaked in and switched the heater off then waited until Mrs Caravan returned and just smiled as you hid in your motorhome. That will teach her.

David :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Why do people do that?

The mentality of Mr & Mrs Caravan is, "I've dam well paid for it so I'm going to use it" :Sad:

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
I wonder how many leave heaters on when on hookup at home

I do in the Winter - thermostat set at 5c.

The van is always loaded with clothes and food on the drive ready to leave at short notice.:thumb:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
The mentality of Mr & Mrs Caravan is, "I've dam well paid for it so I'm going to use it" :Sad:

I am not sure this attitude is restricted to "Tuggers"!
JJ :Cool:

Yep, not just tuggers.
Dont see the point.
There are a few motorhomers, too..

I leave two small oil filled heaters on in the van at home in winter, set at frost setting.

Last edited:

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
Why do people do that?

A friend has a CL we use and he got so sick of seeing heaters left on in awnings he fitted meters.

He has now gone back to charging an increased fee, as people refused to book when he said the electricity was metered.

So everyone pays more for the selfish few.

Well almost everyone. He knows, from past use, we use very little so he charges us the old fee and we pay for the electricity we use. Last visit in April we used 57p worth per day 10 days stay used £5.70 in electric.

I have just booked a pitch at the Dog & Gun at Carlton Miniott nr Thirsk. He asked if we wanted EHU and then followed up that it would be £10 per day. I said no. He said he had to start charging because of abuse as his electric bill had come in at £1700 for a month. This site is convenient for work at Autogas2000 which is 4 doors away.

I know he's on a sticky wicket as far as charging separately is concerned but he has to recover the cost of peoples abuse

John

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
A friend has a CL we use and he got so sick of seeing heaters left on in awnings he fitted meters.

He has now gone back to charging an increased fee, as people refused to book when he said the electricity was metered.

So everyone pays more for the selfish few.

Well almost everyone. He knows, from past use, we use very little so he charges us the old fee and we pay for the electricity we use. Last visit in April we used 57p worth per day 10 days stay used £5.70 in electric.

I have just booked a pitch at the Dog & Gun at Carlton Miniott nr Thirsk. He asked if we wanted EHU and then followed up that it would be £10 per day. I said no. He said he had to start charging because of abuse as his electric bill had come in at £1700 for a month. This site is convenient for work at Autogas2000 which is 4 doors away.

I know he's on a sticky wicket as far as charging separately is concerned but he has to recover the cost of peoples abuse

John

We also have friends with a CL in Colchester and they too have fitted pre pay meters for the same reasons.. ie massive electric bills that they couldn't afford ..

Three years on and the site is as busy as ever .. no loss of customers.. and the site now makes a small profit ... it's the only fair way ..

Mr & Mrs Caravan 3 pitches up have gone out and left the heater on in their awning, what a waste.

it is abuse, but abuse of leccy is down to attitude.. nothing to do with what type of recreational vehicle you own..

Last edited:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
Sadly this is the mentality of power hungry britain, and even if we cover this entire island in wind turbines, our carbon footprint will not reduce. The answer I believe is to offer a set number of units at a fixed price based on number of people and then a sliding scale getting progressivly more expensive as you use more units.

This should be for electricity use in general, not just on camp sites.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
I say if we see this happening go to the warden/owner and tell them of the abuse, people like this need shaming or they will just keep on using electricity with no thought to the cost.

David

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Me too

I do in the Winter - thermostat set at 5c.

The van is always loaded with clothes and food on the drive ready to leave at short notice.:thumb:

Exactly as you describe, heater kicks in when temp falls below 5c

Rob

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back