Help we are a dead duck in France (1 Viewer)

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Sargent EC300 smart/charger appears to have gone faulty we are thankfully on a site connected to the mains but both the vehicle battery and leisure batteries will not charge above 12v we have a Autotrail FB Tracker obviously cannot start the engine and its a Bank Holiday Weekend too!!!
Weather and site gorgeous but totally ruined due to our situation we left the UK 9.4.13 and up until now everything was fine and dandy does anyone have any suggestions over than to call recovery on Tuesday which we intend to do and get recovered to an authorised repair centre check into an hotel and await spares from the UK for repairs no doubt:cry::cry::cry:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I am a complete idiot with this sort of thing, so feel free to ignore what I say.

We have an Autotrail and found that our leisure battery wasn't charging. I fiddled about but couldn't find a fault. I then unhooked for about 30 minutes and then hooked up again. Sorted.

Maybe worth a try.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Hi - There is a bank holiday on Wed and Thurs 8 and 9th, but Monday should be a normal day in France (though sometimes things aren't open, even on a "normal" Monday!)

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Breakdown recovery should be 24/7...... where in France are you?

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Tracker FB

Hi

I a not a auto electrian but I also have a Tracker FB.

Have you checked all the obvious?

I assume the engine will not start?

On the panel have you checked the charger light is lit.

It is protected by fuses which may be on the floor behind the drivers seat or also in the panel. 20 amp for leisure battery 40 amp for vehicle battery.

On the panel above the door you have a choice of which battery to use. If you select the engine battery does the light come on.

What does this panel say about the battery states when you scroll through the menu.

That it will not charge above 12v suggests no charge at all.

I hope all this helps but if nothing else it will bump your problem to the top of the page where someone who is competent and knows what he is talking about will see it.

MikeD:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
We are near St Emilion Bordeaux on a site at present we were going to leave it until Monday or Tuesday because we are at least on a site and once we organise recovery it can be to a garage to get repairs done

OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Thank you

The engine won't start the charger unit green light is lit and neither battery will charge above 11.4 11.5 v all the fuses appear to be ok I have looked at the ones in the panel except the charger unit one fuse number 15 don't know where that is I assume its within the panel itself.

The fuses behind the driver's seat appear ok and so does the one on the leisure batteries.

People are suggesting new leisure batteries but from where on a Saturday afternoon

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Have you tried contacting Sargent direct their customer relations and assistance is second to none Google Sargent for contact details

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Thank you will try to at least get jump started

One other thing, WHY have both batteries gone down??? are they old and just given up the ghost, if so just but 2 new batteries an problem solved as when leisure battery runs down, just start up engine or go for a run and the engine charger will charge up your leisure until you get home to get it sorted so you can carry on enjoying your holiday, if you cannot get batteries local then I think this company sends batteries all over Europe with next day delivery, Regards Garry Flatpackchicken
http://www.tayna.co.uk/Leisure-Batteries-C45.html

Last edited:

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
If you need a leisure battery, maybe the campsite can suggest the nearest place to get one - most large towns have a Roady or Norauto or Feu Verte (Halfords type places) or a campervan dealer nearby which should be open today (it's known as a batterie de loisir).

Best of luck with it....

OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
we are talking two leisure batteries and the vehicle battery and the solar panel for what its worth only bought the van in December last

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
we are talking two leisure batteries and the vehicle battery and the solar panel for what its worth only bought the van in December last

Sounds like a main fuse somewhere, if solar not charging either, maybe a call to your breakdown assistance provider will get a competent AA in Portugal last year on Xmas day and was there within 45 mins so get on the phone and let the professional have a go (famous last words lol) Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
It would be very unusual for all battery's to fail at same time
Don't spend owt till you know what's wrong it could be something simple
Try turning everything off in hab unit and try start van alone or jump it off someone on site will have some jump leads I refuse to believe that on a site someone wouldn't assist I would as would most on here
To me me it sounds like fuses bad connection or a relay

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi , Call Sargent ask for Clive , 01482 881655 they are very good, Talked me thru my problem when I was in france and connected to a reverse polarity and scrabbled the programing on the control box.
Terry:sin:

OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Dead duck in France

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions of help we have managed to loan a battery charger from a nice English couple on the site who just so happened to be arriving. The battery voltage then went above 12 v on both vehicle and leisure so I decided the give the old ignition a try and 'hey presto' we got the engine started and took the van for a run out to get the alternator going.

Since coming back both batteries seem to be maintaining their charge however we are giving them a rest and not using anything 12 v for now and the battery current seems to be putting .6 .7 amps via the charger.

Wondering if we have had too much on over the last few days ie TV/Sat lighting etc and the smart charger has struggled and therefore shutdown to protect both batteries but then not got over 11 v until the triggle charger was attached whatever the case we will contact sargent on Tuesday to speak to their technical support also autotrail and take it from there lets just hope it was a 'glitch' and a lesson learnt.

Thank you again :thumb:

OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Dead duck in France

ps been out and bought battery charger jump leads and battery tester :Smile:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you do get someone to jump start your van make sure they do it properly! On some vehicles they don't like both leads being put on the battery itself as it can fry the van's CPU, for both vehicles (we were told this by an AA man who says he gets lots of these unfortunately problems to deal with!).

I seriously doubt it is your batteries that are at fault, no way would all 3 of them fail at the same time! It sounds like a relay or a fuse has gone somewhere so a bit more 'digging around and replacing fuses might be in order - even if a fuse looks okay in our experience it doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't blown, we had this on a previous van and it was only sorted when we replaced the supposedly okay fuse with another.

Another option might be to remove the vehicle battery and see if the site can charge it up for you to at least get you moving, they may also do the leisure batteries too. :thumb:

EDITED TO SAY: Ah, our posts have crossed! At least you now know your batteries are okay which is great.

Last edited:

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Not familiar with your van or set up but we had a similar problem once, which turned out to be the split charge relay (incidentally under the van) which was full of water. :Sad:

Who fits an electrical relay in non rated IP enclosure under a van?? :Angry:

It was fitted on the van when new by a well known dealer in Newark :Eeek:

Numpties or what ????

ValinFrance

Free Member
Nov 1, 2011
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Thanks for the update.... Good news - at least you're in a good place if you were to be stranded, many happy memories of St Emilion!! :beerchug:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Only just noticed where you are Elaine and I had a great time around there last year we stayed for 2 nights on a little vin yard about 2 miles away from st emillon so peaceful

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Pleased to hear you are up and running again :thumb::thumb:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I have never known a site where someone would not help a soul in need
That's what I like about motorhomeing
How about the time we were on an aire somewhere in France. I had connected my 20mtr hose around the back of the next van and into the bourne, inserted my 2 euros and as the pipe started filling with water I returned to my van but noticed that the water didn't seem to be flowing very freely through the last bit of hose and into the tank. As I was about to try and find out why I caught sight of a Frenchman running towards me in an agitated state brandishing a knife :Eeek:
As he reached me he grabbed the pipe and cut a few inches from the end and quickly reconnected it. He was worried about me losing my 2 euros worth of timed water allowance on the bourne!! It seems my hose had formed a partial blockage so he had removed the affected part. By the end of our trip I realised that it must be on its last legs as it started developing similar blockages along its length.

So a wild-eyed Frenchman charging at you with a knife isn't necessarily a bad thing, at least not if he's a fellow motorhomer! :thumb:

Wyn

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Dead duck in France

Hi , Call Sargent ask for Clive , 01482 881655 they are very good, Talked me thru my problem when I was in france and connected to a reverse polarity and scrabbled the programing on the control box.
Terry:sin:
Thank you Terry that's very interesting as before all this problem started a French camper had tripped the box at the hook-up and when the owner came to check and saw that it was him he briefly plugged us back in on the reverse polarity connection by mistake to make sure it wasn't us that was tripping the box I Wonder? The control panel at the moment is showing
0.8 A charging with nothing on I'm not sure if that is sufficient charge.

I will contact Clive on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
ps been out and bought battery charger jump leads and battery tester :Smile:

Well done that is 3 things never to leave home without.........as Stated in another post check how the jump leads must be connected to your vehicle & never try to start it with the battery charger attached. And if its a Boxer like mine, & the battery is inside the cab put the mains lead through a window and dont even open a door whilst the charger is attached as part of the system is energised on even opening a door.:thumb:

Last edited:
OP
OP
SoapyTutti

SoapyTutti

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
"I'm a newbie"
Strange Dead Duck in France

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions of help we have managed to loan a battery charger from a nice English couple on the site who just so happened to be arriving. The battery voltage then went above 12 v on both vehicle and leisure so I decided the give the old ignition a try and 'hey presto' we got the engine started and took the van for a run out to get the alternator going.

Since coming back both batteries seem to be maintaining their charge however we are giving them a rest and not using anything 12 v for now and the battery current seems to be putting .6 .7 amps via the charger.

Wondering if we have had too much on over the last few days ie TV/Sat lighting etc and the smart charger has struggled and therefore shutdown to protect both batteries but then not got over 11 v until the triggle charger was attached whatever the case we will contact sargent on Tuesday to speak to their technical support also autotrail and take it from there lets just hope it was a 'glitch' and a lesson learnt.

Thank you again :thumb:

Just come back from the swimming pool having had a stress break from the 'Dead Duck in France' saga racked my brains again as to what is wrong and still convinced its the charger not doing its smart charging.
So checked all the fuses like people have said including the leisure fuses and charger fuses and again they seemed ok. Then I thought I would undo the panel and see if I could see the fuse number 15 which is internal to the unit apparently slid the unit out and had a look with a torch and thought to myself this will be interesting when I speak to Tech Support at Sargent in hope that they can talk me through fault finding carefully slid the unit back in again not to trap any wires and heard something as if it was tripping on as I did it and 'Hey Ho' the green light that you can see at the base of the charger via the vented panel has gone from 'green' to 'red' the unit appears to be charging battery levels have gone up to 13.4v 13.2v and the battery current level to a whooping 10.4 instead of 0.8 and is now settling at 8.0 amps so fingers crossed it appears to be 'smart charging' again and we may just have a lose lead in the panel fingers crossed that things stay this way and the batteries have quite rightly protected themselves when less than 10v 9v and fully charge appropriately tonight.

Whatever the case we will still speak with Tech Support and have the batteries tested to make sure no cells are damaged.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back