Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
guys and dolls watched that programme eddie stobart how embarrassing drivers more like screw drivers shocking :Doh:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I think anyone who has spent time in the road haulage industry would cringe at the antics of the pillocks shown in the prog.

Embarrassing that they think they are the pinacle of the industry.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
trucking is a whole different game nowbmost drivers are not allowed on the trailer or in the back of their truck id like to see some of them throw a 40ft fly sheet up over the load
dollies, doubledolly's, scotches back scotches, sideboards bale hooks case hooks all terms that have virtually dissapeared from our roads

Spenders

Free Member
Jan 19, 2013
Tadcaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2013
Sounds familiar...

trucking is a whole different game nowbmost drivers are not allowed on the trailer or in the back of their truck id like to see some of them throw a 40ft fly sheet up over the load
dollies, doubledolly's, scotches back scotches, sideboards bale hooks case hooks all terms that have virtually dissapeared from our roads

Now I'm only a slip of a lad, but the above could have been said by my old Dad ..... in later years I've played round with small trailers, taking stuff to the tip, moving furniture etc, and it's always amazed me how with a single rope he could secure any sort of load.

I'd sometimes see him glancing at the now ubiquitous curtain siders and mutter something about roping and sheeting etc... youngsters today, don't know they're born!

LOL.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

DONT FORGET TO FEED THE HORSES.::bigsmile:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
The programme is made to entertain the public, what makes me cringe is the 'Over the Top' commentary Link Removed Apart from that I enjoy watching.

Now some in this thread have criticised the programme saying is bad but haven't said WHY, please could you enlighten us a little.

Oh I haven't been a trucker but hold an HGV Class 1 licence :Smile:

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
I agree.. Its entertaining. Stobarts are a great example of a iconic British company aren't they. They have a massive following of spotters and they are renowned for their standards. Anyone else have a truck with their daughters name on?
That commentary though... Lol

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Winker !!!!!

Here in Shrewsbury there is a tosser who sits on a camping chair in the middle of a roundabout on the A5 !!!!!!:whatthe:

He has a placard that says Eddie Stobart watcher !:Doh:

What a Winker !!!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Deleted User
The programme is made to entertain the public, what makes me cringe is the 'Over the Top' commentary Link Removed Apart from that I enjoy watching.

[HI]Now some in this thread have criticised the programme saying is bad but haven't said WHY, please could you enlighten us a little.[/HI]

Oh I haven't been a trucker but hold an HGV Class 1 licence :Smile:

Haven't watched the programme lately but the last time I saw part of an episode some lady driver was stressing about a queue of other ES lorries before she could load her cream cakes(not just any cream cakes but [HI]delicate[/HI] cream cakes).In the real world you would join the Q, ring in to the fat controller, get your book out, have a nice relaxing kip etc.....not her problem.

Now if you were a self employed owner operator that situation would cause some stress !!!

Totally unreal programme most of the time.

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I've not watched the program but there's a truck out there with my late mothers name on it , thanks to my sister who followed this up. Stobarts give you a certificate as well :)

OP
OP
S

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
why its crap

hi guys ill tell u y its crap.stobart has only been going 40 odd yrs he under cuts us proper hauliers.he has the contract for tescos hes running at a loss he makes his money bye warehousing in the beginning now he has that airport in southend where I may add tax payers money has helped with that.now I am not saying its not a good company but if u pay peanuts u get monkeys.its not all that it seems befor eddie junior died he went off the rails company was in a hell of a state great hes bounced back but if you read between the lines hes nothing special but hay if uve got it a truck brought.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
hi guys ill tell u y its crap.stobart has only been going 40 odd yrs he under cuts us proper hauliers.he has the contract for tescos hes running at a loss he makes his money bye warehousing in the beginning now he has that airport in southend where I may add tax payers money has helped with that.now I am not saying its not a good company but if u pay peanuts u get monkeys.its not all that it seems befor eddie junior died he went off the rails company was in a hell of a state great hes bounced back but if you read between the lines hes nothing special but hay if uve got it a truck brought.

Not so any more,

Watched an interesting programme on the Manc Ship canal. Apparantley Typhoo and a few other companies, plus those in Wolverhampton are using the ship canal and other canal networks to transport raw materials, It's cheaper than trucks, has taken 20% off the road and better for the environment.

Long may it continue,

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
Ice road truckers on Sky is better-- and Hell Highway ,with the recovery crews pulling out trucks off a mountain road :thumb:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
The canals should be used more

The same engine HP can move 24 tons by road 600 ton by barge.

You cant blame the stobbart drivers a lot are ex Army:ROFLMAO:

O dear i would have deleated that but I have already posted it :ROFLMAO:

Mel

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Stobarts are only doing to transport what asda tesco and such did to high street
It's all about cost cutting if you can't keep up then shut down move on
Dog eat dog the strongest will win
Sorry but true
You watch what happens with china and India over next ten years Europe will become the new third world
boom and bust
And guess what we are just about bust

OP
OP
S

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
stobart ice road truckers lol

these programmes are all fanatasy ice road truckers lol a truck a so called trucker and a film crew with a cook a medic and a nurse that's trucking its all rubbish as for the canels come on guys it will never work in this day and age to long to tip the barge cant do multi drop lol use the barges for holiday makers get the car drivers on the train or a bus lets us truckers keep this country moving .10/4 good buddy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Stobarts are only doing to transport what asda tesco and such did to high street
It's all about cost cutting if you can't keep up then shut down move on
Dog eat dog the strongest will win
Sorry but true
You watch what happens with china and India over next ten years Europe will become the new third world
boom and bust
And guess what we are just about bust

better still you only have to see the increase in north african industry. the chinese companies are already opening huge factories in this area .
euro industry will soon be thing of the past.germany and holland are already in the grip of suffering .

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
these programmes are all fanatasy ice road truckers lol a truck a so called trucker and a film crew with a cook a medic and a nurse that's trucking its all rubbish as for the canels come on guys it will never work in this day and age to long to tip the barge cant do multi drop lol use the barges for holiday makers get the car drivers on the train or a bus lets us truckers keep this country moving .10/4 good buddy :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Why can't canals work bulk transport by barge to distribution centre then local delivery
What will never allow it it to work is investment

OP
OP
S

Shuggy68

Banned
Apr 25, 2012
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
i year
stobart

peter your talking nonsence if u under cut to much and run at a loss which stobart does hell go tits up like in 2008 he was in trouble only got bailed out bye Tesco as I said u pay peanuts u get monkeys

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
What you cant take away from Stobbarts is the image.

He made drivers smart and proffesional.

Yes he undercut rates but thats life.

He was not the only one .

And as for Tesco they do own 15% of the Stobbart holding company.

Yes we do need trucks and need to respect Drivers.

There should be no charges at truck stops.

You dont pay in the USA.

But then drivers have to respect the truck stops.

Some and I repeat some cant walk 50 mts to a toilet use the wheel its ok.

Well its not OK

Ipswich docks made parking for traction drivers.
The car park stinks max 100 mts from clean toilets.

Eddy Stobbart drivers have the best image in the transport sector ask the public.

Forget the film the company is a well run haulage company.

No I did not work for them.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
peter your talking nonsence if u under cut to much and run at a loss which stobart does hell go tits up like in 2008 he was in trouble only got bailed out bye Tesco as I said u pay peanuts u get monkeys

That's what I mean boom and bust it's a mentality in business my dicks biggest
It's happening all over I work in crane hire some company's are taking on jobs that can't meet overheads let alone make a profit rates for crane hire are now at the lowest ever how the hell they can carry on I have no idea there are going to be some bankrupt company's very soon and very proberbly some big surprises

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Nice that people blame Stobarts alone.

what of
Norbert Dentressangle
Willie Betz Etc

Or is it just that always "someone else" is to blame for anything that's wrong in UK.

If I had a small shop I'd blame Wallymart, Tesco , Sainsbugs etc
or I could just supply a better quality service & bite the bullet.

:winky:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
i do agree with fat lazy ones who tie their rubbish up in a carrier bag and toss it out of the window as well as not walking to the toilets. as for trucks over barges, nobody holds stock now its all over night and next day delivery. so trucks win over barges there. ivory55

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Nothing wrong with Stobbarts, but we prefer Norberts::bigsmile:

For 28 years we have been keen "Norbert" spotters. We have a competition every time we are out. First to see one and shout NORBERT adds it to their tally, We even shout if we see one on telly. You've all seen them before, despite the name I think they are now a part Brit owned company and for every stobbart on the road it seems there are 10 Norberts. We have seen Norberts in almost every country we've been in, but the best counts are in UK, France and Spain.

1 point for every Norbert you see, 2 if your overtaking and 3 points if they are on a different road to you. In France, your likeley to find Norbert distribution centres which the family call "Norbert Nests", no matter how many Norberts in a nest you can only add ten to your tally.

Norbert spotting has kept us and the kids amused for tens of thousands of miles::bigsmile: They are not always in Red and "Norbert in Disguise" is two points:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back