Traction Mats..........any advice (1 Viewer)

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Traction Mats..........any advice ?

My wife has been looking at Traction Mats to keep in the van for those 'wet slippy grass days'.

Has anyone used these type of things or have any advice to offer please?

:Smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Been discussed before but usually in the autumn/winter, from memory they don't get much of a write up. Best bet is the old bread trays with the sides cut off of course. On the odd occasion I've used mine they've worked well, even better with a steel peg holding them down so they don't skid away if you've a heavy foot. :Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have a pair of fiamma mats.

Used once on mud and once on sand.

Rubish wast of time IMO

But I still carry them god knows why.

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Don't get the Fiamma ones, about as much use as a chocolate teapot! :RollEyes:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
My wife has been looking at Traction Mats to keep in the van for those 'wet slippy grass days'.

Has anyone used these type of things or have any advice to offer please?

:Smile:

Had 2 sets that you could join together and I inherited them when I purchased my motorhome :thumb: I thought they'd be a good asset for some slippery day in the future, but in reality they were next to useless for me :Sad:

After last years down pours, I found myself slipping on wet grass on a slight slope, with no traction at all, so thought yeh, I've got my traction mats so lets get them out::bigsmile:

Well at first the wheels just spun on them, then I managed to get grip and moved forward the distance of the Mats and then just span again, I'd have needed a set 400 meters long to have been any use at all :Doh:

Second attempt ended in one set spinning out from under the wheel, ricocheted off the body and disappeared across the field, much to everyone's amusement :Eeek:

I ended up getting pushed by a group of fellow campers and then returned the favour while their wheels slipped on the wet grass too :Smile:

So I was that disappointed with them I left them there and haven't bothered since :thumb: think the only real answer to spinning wheels is chains as they become an integral part of the wheel and move along with you, until they're removed again :thumb: would I use chains on the grass......after spinning the tyres for long enough, you'd use anything to get yourself out of a situation, however they're expensive, heavy and not that easy to fit:thumb::thumb:

Hope this helps and safe motorhoming :thumb::thumb:

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
Just another thing you Think you need but Probabaly don't .

Vlad.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sorry but I disagree, have 2 sets, they have got us going a few times including Peterborough 2012. Also use them when parking on grass to help us get moving/ stop sinking overnight.

OP
OP
C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Thanks everyone for the replies so far, I sort of expected as much. Interesting comment about load spreading tho', I have wondered if they might be useful just to stop the tyres sinking into soft ground overnight and 'creating' a problem. :Doh:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have 2 sets of cut down bread trays and some orange thick rubber gripper type mats (not the flimsy yellow Fiamma ones). We had parked up at Newark on the bread mats and tried to use the gripper mats in earnest to get off the wet slightly snowy field ... total and utter waste of bl**dy time and what a fl*aming mess afterward! In the end we got towed off by one of the tractor contraptions ... once we've found the towing eye which had been put 'somewhere safe' in the van!!! :ROFLMAO:

Don't ask me why but hubby still insists we take the flipping mats with us! :Doh:

Merle

Free Member
Mar 31, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2008
I would agree with the cut down bread trays....if you can find them, not quite as rare as rockin' horse poo but getting scarce.....also a good tow rope, try the kinetic (stretchy rubber) type from Halfords they work really well.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I would agree with the cut down bread trays....if you can find them, not quite as rare as rockin' horse poo but getting scarce.....also a good tow rope, try the kinetic (stretchy rubber) type from Halfords they work really well.

Last time this was discussed someone, GJH I think (Graham Hadfield), posted a link to some bread trays specifically made to meet this demand - probably sponsored by Sunblest and Wonderloaf. :ROFLMAO: I'm watching Ice Cream Girls right now or I'd search for it. :Cool:

scottie

Free Member
Mar 2, 2013
chandlers ford
Funster No
MH
Astec Devon 2008
Exp
July 2012
traction mats

I looked long and hard into this one, didnt think much of what was available commercially from the motorhome/caravan sites. In the end i remembered the matting that local councils use when they want to create play areas, but still allow the grass to grow through. The mats are about 4 foot by 5 foot square. I managed to get one for free, cut it up into 4 sections and used at the Peterborough show. Looked around at what everyone else was using and this matting was much superior. I priced some up and it was £28.00 plus vat, this was from a local stables near Southampton. Hope this may help:thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Well Ice Cream Girls was good.

Broken Link Removed
And Link Removed to the trays on Fleabay.

Oh, except they're not listed anymore. :Doh:

Will carry on looking.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have been fulltiming for a couple of days over 4 years now and don't carry such things...

I live by a simple rule. If I doubt my or my vehicles ability to get off a pitch without help I don't drive onto it... End of story....

As with any rule there are exceptions. So far Peterborough which provides tractors on tap is the only one where I will risk it.

PS: Thanks Maz for being the exception to the exception to the rule :ROFLMAO:

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
mats

We use old mats too. Work well unless you're up to your hubcaps!

motomike

Free Member
May 2, 2012
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
since 2008
Used the flimmsy Fiamma mats to get off a soft verge. The flexibility of the flimmsy mat was useful as it allowed me to force it under the wheel...anything stiffer would have meant digging under the wheel or trying to lift the van. Still took some doing, moving forward 2 foot at a time, then placing another mat to drive onto, and lifting the other to re use. This was in the March snow fall that made Northern France sliver to a halt. Van kept going as long as I had momentum...ok till cars stopped on an incline for no apparant reason! Hence the sideways drift onto the soft verge. Grrrr.
So, Fiamma mats not best quality, but better than nothing, and easy to stow. But as someone else mentioned, they can be ejected a long way at some pace, if the wheel grips then flings it away...bystanders ankles beware!

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
After last years down pours, I found myself slipping on wet grass on a slight slope, with no traction at all, so thought yeh, I've got my traction mats so lets get them out::bigsmile:

Think the idea is to park on them beforehand rather than bring them out once you're struggling. :Smile:

after [HI]spinning the tyres[/HI] for long enough, you'd use anything to get yourself out of a situation

Popular with site owners then. :winky:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have been fulltiming for a couple of days over 4 years now and don't carry such things...

I live by a simple rule. If I doubt my or my vehicles ability to get off a pitch without help I don't drive onto it... End of story....

As with any rule there are exceptions. So far Peterborough which provides tractors on tap is the only one where I will risk it.

PS: Thanks Maz for being the exception to the exception to the rule :ROFLMAO:

I do actually have a pair of Milenco traction mats - but have only used them once, on a THS with an over-enthusiastic steward. Ironically I didn't use them at Peterborough last year - think I'd forgotten all about them by then. ::bigsmile:

I find a very light touch on the accelerator works best. If I'm not making any progress forward, I'll stick it in reverse and rock gently backwards then make my escape forwards again. So far tractors have been kept at bay - but I do know where my towing eye is kept! :winky:

BTW Karl, I was waving not gloating! ::bigsmile:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
I carry a couple of "mats" made out of 25mm squares, wire mesh, when on grass I park on them as soon as I arrive. They were in a past life the bottom of a Cage Birds Cage. We had a heap lying around the Farm unused so I bandicooted a couple and cut them to size:winky:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
the Fiamma one are useless .... pic one below

the grip ladder is excellent but not cheap :thumb: pic 2 below

Attachments

• fiamma strip.jpg
    fiamma strip.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 31
  • grip tacks.jpg
    grip tacks.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 45

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have tried all the usual "Traction" mats and found all to be pretty useless ... I now have a pair of 4' sand Ladders, as used by the Land Rover boys, a bit heavy and not cheap but the only thing I have found successful. Two pairs would be ideal but space & weight have to be considered.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Rear Wheel Drive... a must for frequent, non tarmac campers... imo.

JJ :Cool:

Well said JJ!

An example of how motorhoming issues can find common ground across even the most divided political opinion!:winky:

I say have your drive wheels in the right place before you venture off road too!:ROFLMAO:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Rear wheel drive pfft....had to dig one out at the chester meet:ROFLMAO:

so...will a RWD van get stuck if its reversing...and will a FWD one not?:Wacko:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
That Sir is thinking at either end of the box (not just outside):thumb:

just using the ole grey matter...whilst i have some

it is the Carmarthen meet in 5ish days after all....ill have less of it after that:ROFLMAO:

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
theory tells us having the weight above the wheels is better for traction so fwd should be better

If this theory is correct then I guess the weight over the rear axle of many motorhomes must exceed that of the engine in the front for I know, without any doubt what so ever, that rear wheel driven motorhomes do not get stuck on wet or loose surfaces as easily or as often as front wheel driven ones.

JJ :Cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back