Question for you pet lovers out there. (1 Viewer)

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
Question for you pet lovers out there.

I have 2 Bichon Frise, lovely fluffy 'teddy bear' type dogs.

When I was coming back home from Spain last time.

The vet said that Buster needed his teeth brushing.

I made a joke and said, "Buster are you listening to the vet. You must brush your teeth"::bigsmile:

Do you guys brush your dogs teeth every day and if so how do you do it.:Smile:

I was just sitting doing nothing and looked in Busters mouth.

Behind his lower front teeth was a build up of plaque.

I scraped it with my fingernail and one bit came off.:Smile:

I went to the next tooth and tried to do the same again, but his tooth was loose and wobbly so I left him alone.

So come on guys.

What do you do?:Smile:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
there used to be something u gave a dog which was like a tooth cleaner but i cant remember what it is but we never clean ours teeth we have a lhasapoo and the bloody sod would prolly bite me if i did try to clean em :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
Hi, the vet suggested we do the same and duly supplied us (for some hard earned) with beef flavoured (think about it) toothpaste and a brush.

I took home my normally well behaved Staffy and set about cleaning his teeth with the above toothpaste. After several tooth brushes it was obvious this wasn't going to work, he was not for the 'just brushed look' and without me loosing some fingers or an arm in the process I decided on another tact.

We now give our dog Dentasticks, one every morning and his teeth are spotless (well as spotless as a dogs can get) and he loves them - he is now blessed with pearly gnashers and we have the benefit of reduced dog breath, without the efforts of trying to brush them.:whatthe:

Well worth a try.

I have kept the beef toothpaste for a future practical joke ::bigsmile:

Hope it helps,
Regards,

Trikeman. :winky:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
After spending several hundred quid on extraction and clean up work on our cavalier we have started a brushing routine, well, the wife has. :roflmto: The dog looks forward to it now and licks and chomps away at the toothbrush while the wife pushes the brush in and out and backwards and forwards. I think dog likes the liver flavoured paste best. :Smile: She has one or two nights off per week when she has a denta stick treat instead. Pet shops do a brush that slips over the finger and is more accurate, if that's the word I'm looking for, but not for the fainthearted if you don't trust your dog. :Eeek:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
My dogs teeth were in a fairly bad state when I took her on. My vets description was "a young dog with old dogs teeth".

I have brushed them, I have used the Seaweed supplement that is supposed to soften the tartar, and she sometimes has the chew sticks. But the best thing I found was changing her food to raw meat and bones. The action of her chewing a big lump of chicken carcase, meaty lamb bones etc has made a huge difference.

Her teeth will never be good as the damage was done before I got her, however my Vet anticipated dental work would be required within 18 months of getting her, I celebrate 7years this month and to date no work required!

I am not suggesting you change your dog to raw food, as every one has to make their own choices, but as dog owners we have a duty to keep our dogs teeth cleaned by whatever method .

May 8, 2011
God's county. Helmsley, North Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
IH Tio 630 RL
Exp
Since April 1846 but have always camped.
I have a 12 year old Labrador and have never done anything with his teeth. Had him to the vet yesterday for his annual jab (waste of money, but that's for another thread!) the vet checked his teeth and said they were perfect.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Bluemerle;768301 The action of her chewing a big lump of chicken carcase. [/QUOTE said:
I do hope you are joking, dogs should never ever be given chicken bones

Last edited:

Bluemerle

Free Member
Sep 22, 2011
Out and about
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
June 2012
I do hope you are joking, dogs should never ever be given chicken bones

No I am not joking, My dog has eaten raw chicken for the last 5 years. Its cooked chicken bones that you mustnt give to them, as the cooking makes the bone very brittle.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I was told to give Nix a sterilised hollow bone with her favourite filling (peanut butter) inside. Chomping away on that seems to keep the plaque at bay - and keeps her occupied for a considerable length of time too. :Smile:

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
If the chicken carcass is raw , you can give it to a dog. The raw meat and bones is very good for your dog , if they take to it.
Unfortunately we tried it with Buster a couple of years ago , and he didn't take to it. We thought he had at first , but then he went two days without anything to eat. He is a bit weird though, he has to eat his tea outside on the back doorstep, he wont eat it if you give it him inside.
He likes the odd beef bone , raw , of course. You should never give them cooked bones , though.
We give ours antlers. Expensive , from the pet shop. These help scrape the tartar off the teeth , and they love them and they last a long time too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We give ours the raw hide type dog chews, they work a treat and are a fraction of the cost of Dentasticks.

As for giving a dog bones, IMV this is a very bad idea, bones cooked or raw can splinter and cause all sorts of internal damage.

If anyone does intend to do this please ask your vet FIRST and ensure you know what you are doing.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
Nylabone and Dentastix when we still had Toby:Sad:

The vet said that dry kibble food was best for his teeth, hmm, tried telling Toby that, he refused to eat dry food and always preferred tinned food with mixer::bigsmile:

Sep 4, 2011
Funster No
MH
No more
I was told to give Nix a sterilised hollow bone with her favourite filling (peanut butter) inside. Chomping away on that seems to keep the plaque at bay - and keeps her occupied for a considerable length of time too. :Smile:

Sharing peanut butter:Eeek: not in this house it's all mine:ROFLMAO:

Jul 25, 2010
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2009
Marmite has sea jerky bones from fish4dogs. They work a treat, much better than denta sticks....a bit smelly though:Eeek:

M

Madwife

Deleted User
Dentasticks for our four and they seem to work. Am expert at finding them on special offer and buy them in bulk.

Kath and Howie

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
My granddaughter brushes her teeth twice a day and does her dog Bruce the Labrador at same time daft sod sits there and let's her
And yes he has his own brush and sometimes she remembers to use it

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Our has his own doggy toothbrush, though we have not maintained brushing his teeth so far. Last time he had his teeth seen to he had to have two removed (loose) and the rest cleaned - £160 down the pan!

Vet said last time, to keep on top of it. Use only DOG toothpaste, as even baby toothpaste has flouride which is poisonous to dogs.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Dentasticks for our four and they seem to work. Am expert at finding them on special offer and buy them in bulk.

Kath and Howie

Care to share that info? We buy them but we've never seen them on offer, a post on here when you do would be useful. :thumb:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I have a sneaky suspicion that some dog owners are as daft as the brushes they use to clean their dogs' teeth with...

JJ :Cool:

I think once your dog gets old, and has that lovely, slightly rotten breath huffing lovingly in your direction...anything is worth a go!!:ROFLMAO:

I remember my old JR - 16 years old, manky teeth from chewing stones.....good grief alive, her breath could kill flies! Sad thing is, every time she looked at you, you would push her head away to stop her breathing on you - not nice for the dog. Their love is unconditional - yours ends up being 'so long as you don't breathe on me'

mandymops

Free Member
Apr 2, 2012
Streatham
Funster No
MH
bedford rascal nipper
Exp
I'm a newbie
Dentastix do seem to work well and raw bones are absolutely fine-dogs are carnivores and evolved to hunt live prey. Hunt kennel dogs are invariably fed raw bones but be careful if they've been cut in a jagged way during butchering. If dogs are not used to raw meat it can sometimes give them the runs, especially if they're used to dry food.Cooked are of course a no no and it is a good idea to avoid bones which have been frozen as well as they can be more brittle. If your pooch has a tooth that is wobbly though, it really does sound like it's time for a bit of dentistry and they can do a full scale at the same time. The tartar causes gum disease which in turn causes bad breath and loose teeth. Food gets trapped and bacteria can then colonise the spaces around the loose tooth causing further problems such as abscesses.

Veterinary nurse.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
we get through loads of dentastix in our house with 3 staffies, so always watch the pet stores and supermarkets for deals. They also like the cheaper copy sold by wilkinsons, but the nearest store is 10 miles away.

other than dentastix, we give them all nylabones and rubber kong toys to chew. A good occasional treat is a cotton rope chew toy, but you have to ration its use as they swallow the bits they get off. if they swallow too much, it causes tummy issues

as for brushing, we occasionally do this to ensure the gums are healthy. they love the chicken flavour toothpaste and queue up to get their "share". make it fun and your dog will enjoy the experience

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back