Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
I've been fitting a reversing camera to our 2003 Autotrail Apache 600 today, and want to take power to the wireless camera from the rear corner, where there is access to 12V... if I can get in!!

Link Removed

The end panel is hinged on the top, (so must open!), and underneath there are two screws, which only seem to hold the vertical partitioning. Gently levering the front panel shows it to be well and truly held down, but I just can't work out where it's fixed!:Doh:

I don't want to force it, but can anyone tell me how to undo this accursed little panel?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions:thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If it is anything like the ones we had in our Chausson Flash 04 - it too had hinges on the top section so in theory should have opened, however at the bottom of the front section there was a bracket which held it in place. If you can't get to this bracket you've had it! :shout:

Just a thought - how do you know there's 12v in there?

Last edited:
OP
OP
163phil

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Thanks for that! - makes sense what you say. I know there's both 12V and 240V in there because[STRIKE] I have x-ray eyes[/STRIKE] there is a12V strip light over the sink and a 240V socket just under the end panel:Smile:

Looks like I might have to have the cupboard wall out to get at the bracket:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
There are two screws holding a catch ( or something ) at the bottom, could they be doing a cunning double job.

Taking a MH to pieces is a great game. Worthy of Poirot.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
If it's like my apache 700.. probably glued in place..
Just wait and eventually it will just drop off on its own. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sorry, could not resist...

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp

what a belter that was not laughed as much for oh a day
very good :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
taking out the screws wont release the cupboard upright panel either.

it will also be screwed from behind the ' hinged panel' into the stepped part of the shelf and maybe further up as well.

the cupboard will have been built on the bench and installed in the van as one piece.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I usually have no problem taking anything to bits :ROFLMAO:

Its the putting all the bits back I sometimes struggle:Doh:

OP
OP
163phil

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
taking out the screws wont release the cupboard upright panel either.

it will also be screwed from behind the ' hinged panel' into the stepped part of the shelf and maybe further up as well.

the cupboard will have been built on the bench and installed in the van as one piece.
Hmm, makes it a bit more tricky. So why the hinge, and are you telling me it's "sealed for life"?

I'll have another look tomorrow :thumb:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Looking at the pictures I did actually think the bottom might be glued too. ::bigsmile:

Phil - Could you make an opening on the inside of the cupboard in the side panel shown in the photo and gain access that way? You could then use a cover over this once you've done what you want, such as a normal double gang socket blanking plate like in the below link using normal wood screws (the opening would need to be smaller than the plate obviously!) so that you could still get in to the wiring if needs be in the future.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/mk-double-blanking-plate/invt/195094/

Alternatively make your own cover.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Easy, 4lb lump hammer, will have it open in a trice. :winky:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Easy, 4lb lump hammer, will have it open in a trice. :winky:

Yeah but trying to find a 'cover' that's lump hammer head smashed shaped could be fun!!!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would imagine you are going to have to take the entire cupboard of the wall
Nooooooo!!!!! It is highly unlikely that you'd be able to get it out in one piece and even more unlikely that it would go back as it should! :Eeek:

I'd make the internal access point in the cupboard as I've already suggested as at least it would be hidden from view normally and if you can get some matching wallboard you'd make it almost invisible once covered over. :thumb:

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Hmm, makes it a bit more tricky. So why the hinge, and are you telling me it's "sealed for life"?

I'll have another look tomorrow :thumb:
Why the hinge? Don't know for certain, but its likely it is the simplest and most cost effective way to keep the contour along the top of the doors.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Camera

This may sound silly but won't you be routing a cable for the video to the front of MH? If so, why not include the 12v feed which you can connect near the fuse box?
You're going to tell me it's bluetooth aren't you?

OP
OP
163phil

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
You're going to tell me it's bluetooth aren't you?
Yep:ROFLMAO:

Well, it's a new morning and it looks like I hadn't really thought it through. If I connect to the interior 12V I'll have to make sure the circuit is energised before towing, sooo...

I might as well put a gel cell in the cupboard, turn that on before towing and recharge as required. (An old glider battery (12V, 7aH) should do the trick as the current drain from the camera and 2.4gHz transmitter is minimal):thumb:

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Simples !!

Why not phone Autotrail ! I believe they have a help line !! Never used it myself though !
My Scout had it all fitted at the factory !....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
163phil

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
The simple solution

Keeping to the old adage KISS, and having an old motorcycle battery (10Ah) to hand...

Link Removed

Link Removed

Should do the trick:Smile:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions:thumb:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
bluetooth is good, pick up all the baby alarms, video from passing cars etc, then eventually you chuck it away and buy a wired unit and run it all to the front of the van, hee hee.

OP
OP
163phil

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
bluetooth is good, pick up all the baby alarms, video from passing cars etc, then eventually you chuck it away and buy a wired unit and run it all to the front of the van, hee hee.
Maybe Bluetooth does, but 2.4GHz doesn't - I won't go into the intricacies of how it works, but any modeller will tell you just how interference-free 2.4GHz is:moon:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Dave Newell is now kicking himself around his workshop thinking why did I not think of that:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
any modeller will tell you just how interference-free 2.4GHz is:moon:

Some disastrous crashes at model flying site near hear, 2.4G, they think it's some computer equipment at a nearby supermarket. Other places have had similar problems. Frequency hopping is good but not perfect.

Hate to correct Wildman but Bluetooth will not pick up passing anything. The software protocol has to pair both devices with a password before they will talk. I strong signal could jam bluetooth.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Keeping to the old adage KISS, and having an old motorcycle battery (10Ah) to hand...

Should do the trick:Smile:

Thank you everyone for your suggestions:thumb:

That's a fudge. You'll forget to turn it on, you'll forget to charge it. Then you'll remember "hilldweller said it was a fudge".

The best advice you've had is the cut an inspection panel in the side and see what you are up against. Even if screwed from behind, the lightweight ply is so weak you can easily pull the screws out and re-fix with clips or magnets. You are a bit stuffed it it's glued.

There's a lot of wasted space in there, let your mind run free and use it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back