LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Reading the other threads about whether a certain campsite in Italy is great or gruesome, it occurs to me that it is a very personal thing.

It depends on the weather, how tired you are, whether you have a mental picture which doesn't quite match up with the reality and many other factors.

The only site that I really, really hated and, in fact, moved on the next day was C&CC Devizes. I thought it was like a being on a big, gravel carpark. I've since read stunning reports about it!

What sites, home or abroad, have you taken a real dislike to? Let's see if everyone agrees!

Last edited:

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
I was once told that my campsite had "nothing here". It depends on what you are looking for peace and quiet or "all singing all dancing" type of site. We know we don't attract the type that what clubhouses and the likes but nature lovers come back time and time again. What ever floats your boat ! ::bigsmile:
Check the site you book into has what suits your needs at that particular time.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I want a really quiet site, no dogs allowed, adults only in the middle of nowhere with no facilities except fresh water and waste emptying. EHU a bonus.

I know not many want this type of basic site. Each to their own though. Life would be boring if we were all the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
we look at everything that the site has to offer as well as the surrounding area, have not been disappointed yet.
If only me and Anne then we want a quite site with EHU fresh water and CDP and if possible within walking distance of town/pub
If we have the grandson with us then its a whole different ball game so to speak.
We went to Skye one weekend and were at Uigg Bay camp site which is just a gravel car park for MH/Caravans with some grass for tents BUT it had all we needed as was just a place to park up and fill water etc

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
After the obvious of fresh water, my main requirement is a nice view!

I like to look out of the 'van window, in rain or shine, and have something pleasant to look at otherwise I might as well be paying £20 a night to be on my driveway at home.

The campsite IS my holiday, my adventure, my reason for being away from the comforts of home.

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I would rather have a bad site wirh nice campers
Than a nice site with bad campers.

But thats IMO

Mel

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
I was once told that my campsite had "nothing here". It depends on what you are looking for peace and quiet or "all singing all dancing" type of site. We know we don't attract the type that what clubhouses and the likes but nature lovers come back time and time again. What ever floats your boat ! ::bigsmile:
Check the site you book into has what suits your needs at that particular time.

Yes, I agree, at cwmcuttan there is a beautiful, peaceful rural setting with nature all around and the carp pool. We can appreciate that but can also enjoy e.g. Honfleur which is a busy place with thriving tourist surroundings. While some might have a preference for one or the other, we enjoy having the variety of differing places to visit so it doesn't need to be one or the other. :thumb:

Wyn

Last edited:
May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Every year we call into a site in France that on first appearance, many would turn away from, we have seen vans turn around and leave.

Getting in can be challenging at times and out again is just as much 'fun'. The facilities are basic and 6 amp ehu. But, the owners are great, the peace and quiet is wonderful and their little bar is just perfect when you want a drink or something to eat without any grief. We can sit there for days and let the world pass us by - well, they do provide wifi to keep up to date.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I thought it was like a being on a big, gravel carpark. I've since read stunning reports about it!

That's new Marjal. To me a vast carpark, to others and excellent site.

Benicassim. To me a good site but a town with a dead sea front, no cafes. Others love the place.

I love a sea front with loads of pavement cafes where we can enjoy a cafe and brandy and watch the world float by. Even better if we can cycle along it for miles. Altea, Peshciera del Garda, Sankt Goar, Diano Marina, Torre del Mar immediately sprint to mind.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Variety is the spice of life they say.

And that's just what we like a good old mix of everything. Some days we're happy in a farmers field with no facilities and another day we'll be in a full blown all facilities pools kids entertainment the works site and enjoy both just as much as the other. Can't imagine anything worse than doing the same thing over and over and that includes the type of site we stay on. Only ever stayed on one bad site and that was Billing Aquadrome but just pack up and leave after all you are in a motorhome.
Never take too much notice of other peoples reviews as we all like different things.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
My nomination for the camp site from hell..

Link Removed

only been once to attend a Fun meet... and that was enough.. never ever again.

waterlogged pitches, shit everywhere, run down facilities... horrible place .. and thieving was rife .. if it wasn't bolted to the deck.. it walked..

Great camp sites.. ? .. far too many to mention.. by and large most sites are good.. but a special mention for CC sites .. cannot be beaten for excellent facilities and cleanliness..

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Surely everyone is different
When Elaine and are on our own we want peace good basic facilities
Hope fully within walking distance of a few shops bars Ect
Some times a field in the middle of nowhere is great

When our granddaughter is with us she loves to party and dance so it a few days in a big commercial site the likes of haven yes it's expensive but she loves it and I suppose they have very large operating costs

Elaine's bliss site is
Quite
Beach view from van
Small bar
restaurants shops about a mile away
And of course 30 deg of sun 12 hours a day

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Given the amount of time we spend on aires we're quite easily pleased with campsites. I do however recall one in Spain where were directed to find a pitch on a part of the site where the trees were too low to manouevre a MH and I knocked our chimney off.

The main reason I'll dislike a campsite abroad is if it's overrun by Brits - it's too much like going on holiday in an English suburb.

163phil

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Kenilworth
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Still only a year after many years camping
The campsite at Santander. Open plan, cold showers, sodium lamps blaring all night and very, very noisy from a wedding reception that went on all night. Maybe we were just unlucky, but we hated it:Sad:

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Every year we call into a site in France that on first appearance, many would turn away from, we have seen vans turn around and leave.

Getting in can be challenging at times and out again is just as much 'fun'. The facilities are basic and 6 amp ehu. But, the owners are great, the peace and quiet is wonderful and their little bar is just perfect when you want a drink or something to eat without any grief. We can sit there for days and let the world pass us by - well, they do provide wifi to keep up to date.

Please pm me where it is - I would love that:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
Our worst ever campsite was in 2010 when we were meandering quite aimlessly through France, following signs for campsites when seen. Mid-afternoon when we were approaching Chaumont, Haute-Marne, we followed signs to Camping Municipal, Parc Sainte Marie, and drove on to inspect. We were met by a pleasant young lady but she was standing next to a wooden shed alongside the burnt out "Accueil".

She spoke little English but in our broken French we said "Nous regardons" and we were waved through. We drove slowly around the perimeter roads, with dogs running towards us barking, children playing unsupervised and driving over both electrical cables and hose pipes. It became apparent that this was really a site for itinerant workers.

Without even exchanging opinions, we drove out of the entrance and back on the main road.

A few kilometres down the road we found another municipal in a small village called Humes-Jourkenay which whilst being far from salubrious was clean and well maintained.

Steve

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
A great site for me would include, water, EHU, a shower would be nice but most important, peace and quite with a good view. Don't mind if it rains every day as long as we've got our books the world can pass us by as we chill.

lesleyjean

Free Member
Jun 21, 2008
Funster No
MH
A class
We stay at a similar campsite in France every time we cross.

Exceptionally cheap, always welcomed, and on a lovely lakeside.

Just cannot beat it.:Smile:

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
We went to a meet near Chester last year

Campsite was great but over run

by Eukeulele Players:ROFLMAO:

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I've lost count of the sites and aires we've driven onto, had a look around, and driven straight out again.

There's always another not too far away. If that fails, hidden away up a dead end road suits us fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back