Be afraid....be very afraid..... in France !!! (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
QUARTER OF FRENCH DRINK & DRIVE
ONLY 35% of French drivers say that they abide by the rules of
the road – with 51% of people admitting they regularly forget to
use their indicators and 76% saying they often ignore amber
traffic lights.

The annual study for Axa Prévention found that
many drivers were also ignoring the laws on drink driving with
77% saying they knew it was dangerous to drive after drinking two
glasses of alcohol but one in four people - 26% - said they had
done so nonetheless. As for the obligatory éthylotest breath test
kit that all drivers must have in their car, 73% said they had
one but only 9% said they had used it.

And although 76% said it
was dangerous to use a mobile phone while driving – down from 90%
in 2004 – 37% said that they did so regularly with two out of
five saying they did not use a hands-free kit.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If people were honest you would probably get the same result in a uk survey. Why do pubs have car parks?::bigsmile:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
I remember many years ago, some friends and I were coming back from a nightclub in blandford - all the way home there was a car swerving around, up the banks, across the road etc

We stopped our car - and to the car behind stopped as well.......it was two french student girls we had been chatting to in the club!! They said that they always drove home after drinking in brittany!!:Eeek:

So i can quite believe the findings!

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
While staying with a friend for the Jerez Moto GP four years ago, we were driving along in his car and came up behind a car doing exactly 30 mph (50 kph). Our friend explained that the driver had been drinking, and that if he drove at that speed the police would not bother him. :Doh:

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I'm surprised the figures are so low.

A French driver indicate? I don't think many realise their cars come with indicators.

And as for being separated from your mobile phone while you drive........

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
....... Why do pubs have car parks?::bigsmile:

good question.. but a lot of people with cars now nominate a driver who has an alcohol free night..

I don't drink, but still visit pubs.. in fact I'm off tonight to meet friends at a local in Woodbridge.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think I have driven over the limit in the distant past. Not by a lot I don't believe but nonetheless over the limit.

What stops me now is not the fear of prosecution but how crap I would feel if I hurt someone.

When I stayed for a summer in Greece I would put the drink drivers at 50% plus.

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
And although 76% said it
was dangerous to use a mobile phone while driving.. 37% said that they did so regularly with two out of five saying they did not use a hands-free kit.

The single most common hazard I see on French roads is lorries drifting into the hard shoulder because the driver's fiddling with a mobile or a laptop.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
There are times whdn you need to drive home as your too drunk to walk :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only joking.

See many drivers using phones whilst driving, needs to be a massive fine and ban to stop them.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
There are times whdn you need to drive home as your too drunk to walk :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Only joking.

See many drivers using phones whilst driving, needs to be a massive fine and ban to stop them.

Don't think we'll ever stop the use of phones while people drive:Sad:

There's so much that motor manufactures could do so much more to help combat the need to use a phone, but you can't bend the will of the people :Angry:

My friends daughter has just broken her collarbone and written off her car, by driving full speed into a tree while on her mobilephone :cry: she's now learnt, but defo by the hard way:Sad:

I know this'll fetch some negative posts, but I see far more girls texting and using their phones, than I do men:Blush: not a sexist thing, it just seems to be that way :whatthe:

Safe motorhoming:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I know this'll fetch some negative posts, but I see far more girls texting and using their phones, than I do men:Blush: not a sexist thing, it just seems to be that way

QUOTE]

Thats the problem . Phones now have mirror apps.

Babe magnets::bigsmile:

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
We do a lot of work in France it's common practise over there to drink at work our lads are amazed at what they get away with drunk at work top up at lunch time even night shifts coming in to work straight from pub
So assume they drive to and from work

I drive over 1000 miles a week and ever day I see people with phones to ears and texting all ages young and old male and female
And I think it's getting worse

I think one of our biggest problems on the road is young drivers and drugs as they seem to think its ok

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I have had a home here in France for a long time and before that worked throughout Europe as a trucker.I think there would be a general strike here if the Relais,truckstops,ended the culture of Vin inclus in the price of the menu of the day!
I don't say all the drivers are over the limit after lunch but for sure the culture is a glass or two at midi.
People mention texting,I have seen distance drivers get back in the cab after lunch and fire up the iPad or laptop and load a movie before starting off.
What has made a big change here is the introduction of the 80kph and no overtaking for HGV's on long stretches of National roads.I live 3 Kms from the N10 which is one of the major non toll routes to and from Spain and Portugal and there are now long convoys of trucks with often not a gap big enough to join the road from a slip road and they will not ease for a second to let you out!!
Be careful out there.:Blush:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
If you happen to be new to the idea of taking your beloved van to France then please do not let this post put you off the idea.

Major cities apart, which we avoid like the plague, then driving in France is just so much easier than it ever is in Blighty.

Yes I am sure there are idiots out there just as there are over here but I have never encountered a problem.

The roads are, in the main, are just so quiet it is a pleasure to drive over there and getting in the correct lane at a roundabout is just so so simple compared with negotiating roundabouts in England especially in an area unknown to the driver.

Driving safe anywhere has one simple rule:-

Treat all other drivers as idiots and you may well be about 70% correct

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If you happen to be new to the idea of taking your beloved van to France then please do not let this post put you off the idea.

Major cities apart, which we avoid like the plague, then driving in France is just so much easier than it ever is in Blighty.

Yes I am sure there are idiots out there just as there are over here but I have never encountered a problem.

The roads are, in the main, are just so quiet it is a pleasure to drive over there and getting in the correct lane at a roundabout is just so so simple compared with negotiating roundabouts in England especially in an area unknown to the driver.

Driving safe anywhere has one simple rule:-

Treat all other drivers as idiots and you may well be about 70% correct

Quite agree! Don't let it put you off! I and many other members have happily had no issues driving in France (cities excepted - Paris is a nightmare! lol!) But then, those cities are no different than any other country.

If you think about it - in the UK you are probably at greater risk without even knowing it! Fact is, around 70% or so of youngsters that pass their driving test are unable to afford to drive a car for around 3 or 4 years or more.

What is best? Honing and practising those skills why they are still fresh in your mind, or waiting a years and trying to remember what that guy taught you 4 years ago??

This is where insurance companies have messed up - by trying to reduce 'risk' of young drivers by pricing them out of the market - they have made it worse! You are more likely to come a cropper with an inexperienced 'new' driver in the UK than a drunk experienced driver in France.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Just reading some of replys
For gods sake don't let it put you off touring France I love the place down south and east is fantastic
We have had no more problem in France than at home nor anywhere else in Europe
A big plus is no trucks on a weekend

Go and enjoy

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
In my previous post I had no intention whatsoever of suggesting France is more unsafe or dangerous than anywhere else,I live here because everywhere is so much quieter than the Uk,major cities excepted.
I also feel that a glass of wine with a meal is so embedded in the culture and guess that is what I was trying to get across .
In mentioning the convoys of trucks on the N10,this is something that could change soon as I understand some new regs are coming into force whereby trucks will be fitted with a GPS detector which will charge them for using major but non Autoroute roads in certain cases.Apologies if this has already been discussed as a newbie just getting to grips with the site.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back