Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
since 2004 caravans before that
Have just received a newsletter from Coverguard mentioning a motorhome water purifier that lasts for two years and gives pure water straight from the taps. It's called Plantation Float and you can drop it into your cold water tank from inside the van if the opening is big enough.

Have googled for it on the computer but nothing came up. I've emailed Coverguard but thought I would also try you clever lot. It would be nice not to have to carry drinking water.

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
Water purifier 2

I'm replying to myself. The water purifier is called PLATION not PLANTATION and retails at £36 up to 75 litres. It might be cheaper just to top up our water bottles from the local taps but I quite like the idea of having definitely pure water coming out of the van taps. Any advice - anyone used these?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Despite its relatively higher cost the Nature pure is the Motorhomers Favorite complete with a seperate faucet for drinking water

We have filled up from some dubious supplies in Morocco without any problems bacterial and microbe filter also, it produces extremely nice clear tastless water 100% guaranteed :thumb:
see add on right for clear water from your tanl

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Personally I would not trust the float releasing the silver into the water to kill every bit of bacteria, how long must you wait after filling etc? IMO it's much better to have a physical filter that does not allow bacteria, dead or alive, to pass through into your glass. Only then you are drinking pure water. With the float you are drinking the disinfectant and anything it has killed. Decent physical filters like this one cost a few quid to buy but there after the only costs are filters every 12/18months. A small price to pay and the only way to have really pure water on tap:thumb:

OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
You've both put me right off this Plation thing. But I think the recommended alternative is too dear for European use. Morocco/Africa is a different matter. So I'll continue keeping some cheap bottled water for emergency use and use European potable outside taps for everyday cooking/coffee purposes. On board tank water for washing up and toilet/showers. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You've both put me right off this Plation thing. But I think the recommended alternative is too dear for European use. Morocco/Africa is a different matter. So I'll continue keeping some cheap bottled water for emergency use and use European potable outside taps for everyday cooking/coffee purposes. On board tank water for washing up and toilet/showers. Thanks for helping me make up my mind.,
expensive maybe, worth it definitely.

UK and EU water is perfectly safe to drink....but how do you know the tap is safe to use.

I've seen fresh water taps shoved inside some disgusting things....including toilet cassettes to swill them out.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi. i use a doulton berkenfeld system . its a ceramic filter with silver inlay . silver is the worlds best purifier of water . thats what started wishing wells . today alum sulphate is used as a cheaper alternative . google brownchurch landrovers london . they supplied mine about 15 yrs ago. the world health organisations used them may still do.
mine as seen lots of really horrible water in its time .
after a trip i change the filter candle but it works real good .

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
expensive maybe, worth it definitely.

UK and EU water is perfectly safe to drink....but how do you know the tap is safe to use.

I've seen fresh water taps shoved inside some disgusting things....including toilet cassettes to swill them out.

Aaaaagh! I do always let the taps run for a while though.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Aaaaagh! I do always let the taps run for a while though.

its not only the inside of the tap you need to worry about....the outside will be worse.

a spray bottle of disinfectant will help, or even a disinfectant wet-wipe, just give the tap a quick spray and a wipe with a clean cloth before connecting your hose, or water container.

another point is, if the tap has a hose already fitted then if possible remove it and use your own...or none if filling a container.

the hose COULD have been right inside a cassette.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

june123

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Burstner A class 3 berth
Exp
its not only the inside of the tap you need to worry about....the outside will be worse.

a spray bottle of disinfectant will help, or even a disinfectant wet-wipe, just give the tap a quick spray and a wipe with a clean cloth before connecting your hose, or water container.

another point is, if the tap has a hose already fitted then if possible remove it and use your own...or none if filling a container.

the hose COULD have been right inside a cassette.

You're right of course. Point taken. Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back