cambelt change (1 Viewer)

Nov 26, 2009
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Bailey 740
Exp
23 years
:Doh: hi just bought an 08 2.3 fiat with 12000 miles and i am going to have a new cambelt fitted but garage wants to fit a new water pump also,is this correct !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Doh:

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
my garage said the same ,wile you have the engine stripped down check pulley and water pump fit new ...cost pump ,pulley and timing belt £300.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
My Garage always recommends this. They renew relatively cheap bits when the bigger job is stripped down. I'm due a cam belt change on my '07 Ducato soon and I'll check the other bits have been done.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Replaced timing belt on my 07 2.3 last week and was going to do the water pump aswell but garage said on mine it was easy to get at so could be done fairly easily by its self

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
the reason why it is reccomended that water pumps are changed along with some cambelts, is that the toothed pulley on the pump forms part of the cambelt set up [along with tensioner wheels and diesel fuel pump sprocket] if you dont change it you run the risk of the water pump center bearing failing due to the tension which the new timing belt puts on it ! if it does, then virtually the whole job has to be done again to replace the failed and[ usually by then] leaking water pump ! like most things in life its a case of is it worth not changing when they can cost as little as £10 trade !!! regards garry

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
the reason why it is reccomended that water pumps are changed along with some cambelts, is that the toothed pulley on the pump forms part of the cambelt set up [along with tensioner wheels and diesel fuel pump sprocket] if you dont change it you run the risk of the water pump center bearing failing due to the tension which the new timing belt puts on it ! if it does, then virtually the whole job has to be done again to replace the failed and[ usually by then] leaking water pump ! like most things in life its a case of is it worth not changing when they can cost as little as £10 trade !!! regards garry

Incredible as it may seem, your garage was trying to save you money and hassle long term.
I endorse what greyman says above. My son has a garage and some people want just a cam-belt and wont pay for a tensioner and pulley set.
And look what can happen to a worn and brittle tensioner. This engine was about to let go, it came in for an MOT and we were drawn to the cam-belt area and saw the broken bit bouncing around !

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Replaced timing belt on my 07 2.3 last week and was going to do the water pump aswell but garage said on mine it was easy to get at so could be done fairly easily by its self
if its a ducato your garage was lying to you.

to change the pump means the same amount of work as changing the belt.

the pump is driven by the cam belt and it needs to come off to change the pump.

for an extra 20 minutes work and maybe £30 for a pump its false economy not to swap out the pump at belt change.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I have an 07 pug 2.2 with a chain, so when does the pump want doing on that, or is it on the fanbelt where they always were and still should be, just haven't looked as I know I should but saw this thread so wondered, thanks

greyman1

Free Member
Aug 7, 2011
manchester
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
9 years motorhome / 10 years campervan
in general, if a water pump is run via the fan belt [as in a chain drive engine]and therefore does not form part of the cambelt drive, then in theory it should not need replacing unless it becomes faulty or leaks but in reality it is sometimes prudent to replace them if you have to fit a new fan belt or auto tensioner, [for the very same reasons as with the cambelt. it is the retensioning of parts that have gradually settled in and worn together over time that usually causes the problems !!] regards garry

trackar

Free Member
Apr 29, 2013
north staffs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
no need just yet

:Doh: hi just bought an 08 2.3 fiat with 12000 miles and i am going to have a new cambelt fitted but garage wants to fit a new water pump also,is this correct !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Doh:
recomendation for cambelt change is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever
comes first.
if the water pump isn't leaking then why change it.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
if the water pump isn't leaking then why change it.

Read the persuasive arguments above.

We didn't the first time, next time we will.

Which I guess, because we haven't had a pump problem, sort of confirms your remark.

trackar

Free Member
Apr 29, 2013
north staffs
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
no need to change

cambelts are scheduled for change every 60,000 miles or every 5 years
whichever occurs first.
If the water pump isn't leaking then why change it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back