Exp
Hi all
I have a burstaner T 640 Marano 2008
And we are curantly running overload on gross weight
After peterbrough show I ran on to a axel weigh at Leeds just to check
And we were 60 kg overloaded
The van is rated on plate at 3.5 ton
But the combined axel weight shown on plate allows about 3.8 ton
So is it possible to update the plate to show a higher load without modification to brakes tires Ect
If I do need any mods what are they going to be
I have done a bit of research on net and its a bit confusing
I THINK some of the manufactures deliberately down rate to 3. 5 tonne to come into to EU regs for licensing and possibly local tax rules and as well this age 70 ruling for medical to retain higher cat on uk license

Many thanks for any info and if its been coverd somewhere else please point me in right direction

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Hi all
I have a burstaner T 640 Marano 2008
And we are curantly running overload on gross weight
After peterbrough show I ran on to a axel weigh at Leeds just to check
And we were 60 kg overloaded
The van is rated on plate at 3.5 ton
But the combined axel weight shown on plate allows about 3.8 ton
So is it possible to update the plate to show a higher load without modification to brakes tires Ect
If I do need any mods what are they going to be
I have done a bit of research on net and its a bit confusing
I THINK some of the manufactures deliberately down rate to 3. 5 tonne to come into to EU regs for licensing and possibly local tax rules and as well this age 70 ruling for medical to retain higher cat on uk license

Many thanks for any info and if its been coverd somewhere else please point me in right direction

Had my Hymer uprated from 3500kgs to 3850kgs by http://www.svtech.co.uk/.
Extremely easy and cost from memory about £250.

Mike

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
You really need to know your axle loadings first as you may be like my Rapido that has a 2000Kg maximum on rear axle which is impossible to achieve. I am always under on the front axle but the back is where the storage is and as yet I am not sure uprating changes the rear axle maximum but like you am currently investigating

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Peter & Elaine
Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
You really need to know your axle loadings first as you may be like my Rapido that has a 2000Kg maximum on rear axle which is impossible to achieve. I am always under on the front axle but the back is where the storage is and as yet I am not sure uprating changes the rear axle maximum but like you am currently investigating

I don't need to increase axel loads just gross load as I understand it my axels are capable of load its just down rated to get 3.5 tonne

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Just contact SVTech and tell them exactly what you have and, ideally, what you would like to achieve. They are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. Some upplatings are simply a paper exercise and others require modification like rear air suspension and/or a change of tyres. In all cases you will have to advise the change to the DVLA when going above 3500kg to get a new V5c issued and new tax disc. Best to act soon before the regional offices close! :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
And dont forget if you go to France.

You will have to reduce your speed over 3500kg.

+ You need stickers with the new speed limits on the rear of the MH.

A lot dont bother but its €90:00 if you get stopped.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi also over 3500 kg is next step up in emissions charges for London so will mean euro 5 or what ever they are up to now. in case that affects your plans. cheers ivory55

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
hi also over 3500 kg is next step up in emissions charges for London so will mean euro 5 or what ever they are up to now. in case that affects your plans. cheers ivory55

I am now shown at 3850kg on the DVLA vehicle check site and yet when I used the search tool on the LEZ site last week it still had me down as exempt. My van is Euro IV compliant, so presumably the LEZ number plate recognition cleared me when I strayed about a kilometer into the LEZ near Bromley on the A20. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
hi was not sure of exact weights but knew they wanted newer engines on heavier vans. cheers ivory55

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I am now shown at 3850kg on the DVLA vehicle check site and yet when I used the search tool on the LEZ site last week it still had me down as exempt. My van is Euro IV compliant, so presumably the LEZ number plate recognition cleared me when I strayed about a kilometer into the LEZ near Bromley on the A20. :Smile::Smile::Smile:

I understood that euro 4 engines were OK for LEZ

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
We recently uprated our from 3500 to 3700 without any mods. Cost £288 incl vat and was a paper excercise and a visit to the local DVLA Office (they ared mostly being closed so it will soon mean posting stuff to DVLA - not sure how long it will take them to send tax disc back - I am still waiting for the changed V5C after 6 weeks.)
A lot depends on the chassis - dont forget to check your tyres load rating as well - some vans I have seen have tryres on the limit for 3500 so going to 3850 may mean new tyres.

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Also remember it reduces your Tax from £225 - £165 or roughy them figure.

We uprated our new van using vtech no problems what so ever, don't think we will get near the weight but did it just to be on the safe side and will pay for its self in 3 years.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
And dont forget if you go to France.

You will have to reduce your speed over 3500kg.

+ You need stickers with the new speed limits on the rear of the MH.

A lot dont bother but its €90:00 if you get stopped.

The following extract is from the Caravan Club - speed limit signs are NOT required:-

The French highway code stipulates that 80 and 90 stickers must be displayed by vehicles required to drive at the lower limits. The Legal Department of the Automobile Club de France said that UK registered caravans did need to display the stickers, the French Ministry of Transport changed their minds three times: the first reply said no, the second reply said yes and the third and final reply is below:

We have checked with several Government Departments and Ministries (Interior, Gendarmerie, Industry and Transport) and we have concluded that the stickers are not mandatory but the speed limits are applicable.

Mike

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
gross and axle weights explained.

the gross weight is the maximum allowable weight of the vehicle fully loaded and should NEVER be exceeded.

the front and rear axle weights will always add up to more than the gross weight to allow uneven loading.

if your gross weight is 3500kg with the rear axle limit of 2250kg and front axle of 1750kg that means you can load the rear up to 2250kg but you must then reduce the front axle loading to 1250kg making a total of 3500kg...your gross weight

same applies the other way round heavy front, lighter rear.

none of the individual weights should ever be exceeded.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The following extract is from the Caravan Club - speed limit signs are NOT required:-

The French highway code stipulates that 80 and 90 stickers must be displayed by vehicles required to drive at the lower limits. The Legal Department of the Automobile Club de France said that UK registered caravans did need to display the stickers, the French Ministry of Transport changed their minds three times: the first reply said no, the second reply said yes and the third and final reply is below:

We have checked with several Government Departments and Ministries (Interior, Gendarmerie, Industry and Transport) and we have concluded that the stickers are not mandatory but the speed limits are applicable.

Mike
I never knew DVLA had French offices as well. :Doh:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back